Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Breech Plug Tools and Breech Plug Removal

Breech Plug Tools and Breech Plug Removal

I'm glad I ordered the Octagon Barrel Vice Jaws (recommended highly by Castboolits very own RFD) two weeks ago and T/C breech plug a few months ago. We found out, last week, that my wife needs $5000 in dental work, so my spending will be down for awhile (good by South Bend 13"). Anyhow, I put the tools to good use this afternoon, plus made a breech plug tool wrench to hold the T/C breech plug. My plans are to make the factory .54 rifled barrel a .62 smooth-bore barrel. I picked up an L&R RPL flintlock lock as a replacement to the caplock (partial trade from another forum) and a flintlock breech plug from The Gun Works (Oregon Barrels) in 3/4x16 TPI. I did hit a snag as I assumed the T/C .54 would have a 3/4 x 16 breech plug, it did not (did not have the tools to verify at the time) and it actually had the smaller 11/16x20 TPI. I prefer not to work backwards like the plug situation, so I have waited to order the drill / reamer.

The before mentioned tools. I have to resize the picture, so I'm hoping it is still of good quality and size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	217491

Vice Jaws in the vice and ready to work. If anyone new to this tries it, I would highly recommend removing the factory jaws and making jaws to run flush down if not already flush with the vice itself. The aluminum octagon barrel vice jaws may want to roll if the surface of the vice is not sufficient in size. I plan to make new jaws, so the vice jaws run straight down and eliminate the temptation of the aluminum octagon barrel vice jaw to roll within the factory vice jaws. Note, the 1/4x28 Allen set screw with thread tape used to hold Kroil in the barrel for approximately 24 hours.

Name:	vice.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	217492

T/C breech plug tool, with aluminum shim installed. I only needed on shim, but have seen more used as needed. Homemade breech plug tool wrench, made from scraps around the old hobby farm at zero cost (I'm cheap so zero cost is a plus!).

Name:	breech plug tool.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	217493

Kroil had appeared to make it over the flat parts to the threads of the breech plug in 24hrs. I believe I will let it set longer the next time I remove a breech plug. The plug itself was somewhat crusty on the inside, but still very usable if the project turns to the toilet.

Name:	threaded barrel.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	217494
    Last edited by waarp8nt; 04-01-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Very nicely done. Are you going to hunt with the 20 gauge smooth bore?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Very nicely done. Are you going to hunt with the 20 gauge smooth bore?
    I would like to try hunting with it. In previous years I had a good idea where the deer we going to be located, but last summer we had some trees harvested, so the deer trails and patterns have changed significantly. Right now I'm just looking to recreate a Fowler on a budget and I really like the looks of this one.
    Attachment 217514
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!