• Depends

5 8.47%
  • No Opinion

3 5.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Uniflow Configuration

Boolit Master

RCBS Uniflow Configuration

I know it may be hard to resist the urge but folks please stay on topic, the intent is not to drift from the question at hand. There is no need to proclaim the precise measuring virtues of some other measure, or recommend something else. I have RCBS Uniflows that I am working with and they have the standard adjusters and are being manually operated.

The Uniflow can be configured in many different ways, left hand, right hand, adjuster to the front or to the rear all with a large (10-110g) or small (0.5-50g) measuring rotor. The generic guidance is small rotor for pistol and large rotor for rifle and the tap-tap on the stroke is the desired stroke. Ball and flake powders generally meter ok, but stick powders do not. The baffle is usually recommended to keep a consistent head pressure on the powder just to get those out of the way. By intent I am not discussing a specific powder or desired weight.

It is the adjuster front or rear orientation that is the question. With the adjuster to the front and aligned with the handle the powder is dispensed on the upstroke. With the adjuster to the rear powder is dispensed on the down stroke, the adjuster is now opposing the handle. I have seen it both ways even on the RCBS site and even in their owner’s manuals and documentation.
    So the poll/discussion topic is: In your experience which way works best and why?

So to keep the poll simple here are the choices:
    Front= Both adjuster/handle to the front, dispenses on the upstroke
    Rear= Adjuster rear/handle front, dispenses on the downstroke
    Depends= Rotor dependent, works better one way or the other with the lg/sm rotors
    No opinion= Never thought about it either way and use it the way it showed up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180401_143446.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	217479 left is front config right is rear config
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 04-01-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Boolit Master

I have several set up for front adjustments.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    I've always used mine the way they were set up as received.I haven't even thought about changing the configuration.

Boolit Master
    I attach the handle so that it is on the right side and when it is up the cavity fills. Powder is dispensed on the down stroke.
    This set up is used to avoid having the cavity sitting in the up position with powder sitting and settling into the cavity for extended periods of time.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I attach the handle so that it is on the right side and when it is up the cavity fills. Powder is dispensed on the down stroke.
    This set up is used to avoid having the cavity sitting in the up position with powder sitting and settling into the cavity for extended periods of time.
    I deleted my post made earlier & moved it down here to quote EDG, because his description, IMO, is better than mine. But it is the same as the one on the right, in the pics in the OP.

Hope there is no confusion about it. Here is the post from before:
    ------------------------
    I have used mine most of the time with adjuster to the Rear, so my answer would be "Rear". No specific reason, so "No Opinion" could have been the answer as well, even though I use it to the rear the most.

I just use it that way, maybe just out of habit, it seems & have had no reason to change to the other, even with a rotor change, although I do know I prefer that it drops the powder on the downstroke.

Don't know if that helps ya at all, but ya asked...

Semper Fi! & G'Luck! with your poll! Hope ya find out what ya want to know!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Front is the only configuration that works for me. For the last 40 yrs.

I voted rear. No particular reason, just the way I have always done it. I am a creature of habit.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Right side handle attached, and fill on the upstroke, just like EDG said. Has worked for me.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Right side handle, rear config. Just my choice.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Master
    Right side handle, rear configuration which allows me to let the measure rest with the powder chamber in the rotor to the open or dump position. Otherwise bench vibration might "super charge" the next load if one forgets to drop it back in the hopper.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the right side front adjustment configuration as I like to drop the charge on the down stroke with the weight of my hand working for me. The upstroke just dosnt seem as natural to me.

Deliver on the downstroke and leave the handle down, when I want a load I'll flip it up and grab one, a light double tap...I don't want vibrations of the bench settling the powder in the metering hole in between throws.
    Just to complicate things here, I'll say this...I settle the powder in the hopper before I ever start throwing.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I'm a right handed, so when I have a Uniflow mounted to the bench, or on a powder stand, or even in the stand off plate on a single stage press, I always left the uniflow set up in the right hand front configuration.

Right Hand Front

I've seen other folks (like my old left handed room mate) who were more comfortable holding a case, or loading block in their right hand set it up the other way instead, in left hand front configuration.

Left Hand Front

I tend to keep a Uniflow measure mounted in one station (turret hole) on both of my Lyman T-mag turret presses.

For that usage, I've swapped the Uniflow handle to left hand front configuration, like in the picture below of my Lyman T-mag II press.

I prefer it that way on the turret press because I typically operate the press handle with my right hand, and activate the powder measure with my left hand when I'm loading.

I recently helped a new right handed reloader set up a Uniflow on his Redding T-7 turret press. He opted for the same left hand front Uniflow handle configuration that I use on both of my Lyman T-mag presses.

I've never tried the rear handle mounting to dispense on the down stroke. After so many years of using a Uniflow, I pretty much always expect it to drop powder on the upstroke I suppose.

- Bullwolf
    Last edited by Bullwolf; 04-01-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Boolit Master

I voted "depends". With a standalone measure with the original adjustment screw, I think putting it in the back is optimal. Like was described above, that gives a fill-and-dump rhythm that can be applied with a consistent motion. With the screw in the front. The powder stacks in the cylinder for inconsistent amounts of time. I like a left-hand lever, for what it's worth.

As a practical matter, if the powder measure is equipped with a micrometer adjustment screw and/or case-activated linkage, the metering screw goes in front.

Right side handle,adjuster to rear.Got several mounted to an aluminum carousel,works very nicely.

To the front, handle on the right and to the rear.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a center drop baffle in both of mine .
    I have the handles forward on the left side .
    It is said that consistency is key to good drops . I can't think of a more consistent way to get the lever down than gravity . Unique drops within a .1 per 100 drops (case to case not 100 drops for average) from 2.5 to 12 gr and 4350 , H322 and similar drop inside .2 typically but I'm a drop and trickle guy so whatever works . It does this from 20-60 gr . It seems like W857 was sloppy this way from -.7 to 0 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Aluminum carousel, it "was" a cheapy 12" sanding disc.Punch 7/8" holes.It's very convenient.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180405_222540_resized.jpg  

Boolit Master

How about you try it both ways and see what you like best.
    Just sayin.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for playing along, pretty much ended up with the expected results.

As for me, I have 2 second hand measures as shown in the picture, one is equipped with a small rotor and the other one a large rotor. So far the small rotor just doesn't seem to care which orientation and just ended up in a front configuration. The large rotor took some experimentation and a lot of powder drops and appears to be more accurate/consistent in the rear configuration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast