Thread: Wikipedia - Winchester 50-110?

Boolit Master
    maybe I ike this one better
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaron 50 -110 - 450.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	218625

I'll make a long story short. In my earlier years, I shot a .458 twice. I did not believe it hurt that much the first time. It did. Good luck with your endeavor!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estacado View Post
    I'll make a long story short. In my earlier years, I shot a .458 twice. I did not believe it hurt that much the first time. It did. Good luck with your endeavor!
    just doin him a favour postin the picture -- shootin that cannon is above my paygrade - my 47/70 sharps carbine, 8 pounds wringing wet, 500grain boolit over black - is enough!!! (shot prone)

second thoughts maybe I silly enough to try a couple with the 50 standing .........or maybe NO

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Joe for posting the pic for me! The top one is a 500 JRH done on a 94 Marlin pre-safety. Built by Jack Huntington and case colors are by Turnbull. The middle one is a 86 Winchester clone in 50-100-450 done by Turnbull. The bottom one is a 50 Alaskan on a pre-safety Marlin 336. Initially built by a Smith in Missouri, then made functional by Jack Huntington.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

I have converted a few 86's to 50 Ex. Most customers complain about the recoil with a crescent butt plate. The original twit was 1 in 56" and will not stabilize 500 grain bullet. The 50-100 has a faster twist.

Banner Sponsor

I was at a Linebaugh shoot in Cody one year and some guy brought a 700NE double rifle. I think ammo for it is something like $120 a round.
    A milder conversion is supposed to be the 405Win on the new M95 with just reaming a longer throat so you can seat 400gn bullets out long. They chamber the same rifle in 270Win, so you should be able to run 65kpsi on the new action. I hear they are getting 450-400 ballistics.

Name:	cblue-405win-03.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	219141

Name:	1895-win-01.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	219142

Another one I've considered is the 1887 Win 12 ga reproductions with a slug barrel on it. I think that White Labs proof tested them up to 45kpsi or something similar.
    Last edited by lar45; 04-24-2018 at 04:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    While my computer is completing its weekly "Total Maintenance" series of applications I have been digitally "thumbing through" my unorganized downloads folder. I was reading Wikipedia's web page on Winchester 50-110 rifles and ammunition. The final sentence of its web history is a humdinger. Not only does it make sense to my mind, it is also among the most bizarre tidbits of information I have read - that is not political. The web page is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50-110_Winchester.

Here is the final sentence. Emphasis is mine.
    Also in more modern guns like the new browning 1886 71 Winchester and the new 1886 Winchesters made in Japan are capable of much higher pressures and the 50–110 WCF can achieve up to 6,000 foot pounds of energy.

Who has created these "elephant killer" handloads? . . .Anyone? . . . Bueller? How do they compare with basic cartridge case variations such as: 450 Alaskan (Fuller version more reliable feeder); 50 Alaskan; 510 Kodiak Express; and 475 Turnbull?

Since the 475 Turnbull was created to be used in gunsmithed modern Winchester reproduction 1886 rifles that Mr. Turnbull rates as accepting 40,000-42,000 psi, with quicker twist than the Winchester 1886 50-110 Express version and longer cartridge case it appears to be able to safely match bullet and ballistics of late nineteenth- and early twentieth- century British double rifles intended for elephant hunting.

I understand that no one needs such a package. I understand that creating ammunition for such a package will be neither easy nor significantly superior to the others in my third paragraph beyond 100 yards. Dedicated tinkerers should be able to kvetch out the last drops of power for closer range hunting. The essential reason to test the package is: "It'll be fun."
    John M. Browning designed far in excess of black powder requirements, enough for some extremely useful and practical high velocity smokeless loads, which I have no qualms about using in my original .40-82.

But nothing exceeds like excess. I agree in being quite confident that the modern Miroku would stand the pressure, although I don't exactly like "quite confident". That gunsmith wasn't talking about having it happen in front of his eyebrow. I think the Miroku is one of the modern versions which does away with the large ejector, extending all the way to the firing-pin hole, which Winchester did away with in the 1892 onward.

Any 1886 loaded as you suggest, or nearly suggest, would also recoil quite murderously with the 1886 weight and stock geometry. But never mind. Think of all the fun you would be having.

Boolit Master

I did a four barrel set for a new model 1886 takedown several years back. All seemed to go fine except the 348 barrel with Buffalo bore ammo. The rifle locked up and would not open unless the hammer was dropped again. It worked fine with Winchester ammo. The customer sent it back for a new butt stock with shotgun butt plate after firing the 50-110.

Boolit Master
    Why does anybody want a lever-action rifle? For a quick, aimed followup shot.

Why does anybody want a hypersonic version of the .50-110? For immense stopping power, to do away with any need for a quick, aimed followup shot.

Why does anybody want both of them?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Why does anybody want a lever-action rifle? For a quick, aimed followup shot.

Why does anybody want a hypersonic version of the .50-110? For immense stopping power, to do away with any need for a quick, aimed followup shot.

Why does anybody want both of them?
    cuz its fun!! and there are a lot of rampaging concrete blocks and plastic water jugs out there in the bushes - those things will take ya out in a split second - and who knows when we might need to derail a train - those big lead boolits will shoot a hole in railway line. Also have a thought for the local chiropractor - he needs to make this months payment on his new benz.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Indian Joe... then there are those rampaging Toyota pickups trying to make a get-away...

"Why does anybody need ...." A faster car, more powerful motorcycle, arobatic aircraft, deeper diving submersible, more accurate rifle ......
    How about a pocket watch that will keep time within 3 seconds a month....

Just because you do not see the "need" does not mean it is absurd, wrong, undesirable....
    Is not freedom about not hindering an individual to give it a try....
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    Indian Joe... then there are those rampaging Toyota pickups trying to make a get-away...

"Why does anybody need ...." A faster car, more powerful motorcycle, arobatic aircraft, deeper diving submersible, more accurate rifle ......

Just because you do not see the "need" does not mean it is absurd, wrong, undesirable....
    Mike in Peru
    Mike
    a while back I watched a video of a bloke shooting a model 71 in Ackley improved 348 (same feller is an active promoter of the 50-110 right now) just a short little clip shooting into the sunset - I have a similar rifle in straight 348 so some interest and familiarity - he had three emptys in the air above his waist as the bolt closed in on the fourth - I was suitably impressed - It takes practice and skill to shoot a big gun like that ..........who needs a 348 ackley? - nobody NEEDS it - but I bet he had more fun making that clip than I got watching it.
    Hey I just bought a little Toyota pickup - 1994 model - looks pretty harmless to me - but we got Amaroks and Rangers and Great Walls and Rodeos and BT50's lurkin in the bushed everywhere - watch out !!!!!!

HOWDY Tatume
    A few years ago I had Ruger #1 in 45-70 .
    I load it up 1900 fps with a 500gr. bullet ,3 shots was all I could do.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You folks are making my shoulder hurt in remembrance & sympathy...

And I haven't seen a T. Rex adult anywhere around here in years!

Plus, if I wanted to take a T. Rex out I'd frankly invest in a nice Carl Gustaf recoilless Rifle. Anti-Armor, eh, close enough

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Teddy liked the .405.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Good morning

Mike in Peru
    How about the small subculture of people (not, to my amazement, all American) who for no verified physiological advantage trephine their own skulls with holesaws under local anaesthetic? A bit closer to the realms of normality, if pain does something for you, there are latex-clad ladies who will do it for you at less cost than a custom-converted modern Winchester. Well so I am told, anyway.

That the motive is understandable, and the result harmless to others, doesn't necessarily make it an indication of maturity and judgment. Still, I notice that there is a considerable amount of interest in going to unnecessary lengths in making or using extremely small firearms, such as the perennial .25ACP rifle theme. Perhaps it is a matter of being different.

Boolit Master

Mike in Peru
    For what it's worth BiS didn't question anyone's need.
    I didn't need or want half the guns in my collection until a good friend with a C&R license and a heart filled with evil talked me into them.
    Years ago I longed to own a "Toyota Stopper" but never had the means. Now I could buy several but my pain threshold gets lower as I age. 45-70 and 9.3x74 satisfy my wants. For the moment. A handful of more practical (maybe tactical is a better word) guns satisfy my needs.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    The 50's are pretty efficient. I cobbled together a double rifle in 50-90, (same case as 50-110). At less than 30,000 Psi I got a 560 grain paper patch to almost 1,900 fps with no issues in a 22" barrel. No idea the foot pounds, but seems fairly brisk.

Boolit Master

For some unknown reason there are people out there that like to push the envelope. I installed breach plugs on a SXS 4 bore a couple months back, can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot one. A few years ago I made a 416-500 on a model 21 Winchester with 24" barrels. Hearing protection and a lead sled did not help much, the muzzle blast gave me shell shock. I'm getting to the age that recoil is a real problem. Took the 45-70 barrel off my rolling block and installed a 38-55. Bought the last of the 32-40 barrels that are 36" long from GM and plan on using one for self. I do have a 50-100 in the works on a model 71 but most likely will sell it when it is done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast