MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contender single shot handgun...

Boolit Master

Contender single shot handgun...

Hi...
    I have always been intrigued by the Thompson Contender single-shot handgun.
    Just never took the plunge for whatever reason. However, with my impending retirement looming, I have been acquiring some new firearms to work with once I have more free time to play with.

So far, I have acquired three new single action revolvers, two used Sako rifles(one a L579 Forester in .243 and a custom L57 with a Shultz & Larsen barrel in .308) and am building an AR-15 in .223Wylde. This in addition to the 50+ firearms I already owned.

At any rate...my interest has again been recently piqued by a couple of single shot pistols that I came across at some local firearms auctions. Although I have bid on several of them, others have apparently wanted them more than I as they were able to bid them beyond what I thought were reasonable prices.
    However, last weekend I came across several T/C's at a local mauction and was able to acquire one of them...a T/C contender in .45Colt with a 10" barrel. It had a somewhat dirty barrel but cleaned up nicely and has essentially no marks on the exterior. I believe it is a first generation frame.
    I am a bit concerned about the compatibility issues of first generation frames and second generation barrels as I have no practical experience or knowledge. I do know where there is another T/C Contender with additional barrels for sale locally but I don't know the shop owner well enough to trust his knowledge about frame and barrel compatibility.
    Does anyone know of an on-line source of accurate information regarding this issue? I certainly don't want to get in a situation where I acquire additional barrels only to find that they won't work with this frame. Is there an on-line listing of frame serial numbers that differentiates between the various generations? Or perhaps an authoritative publication, i.e., a book?

I am really looking forward to some decent weather and getting this along with a couple of my other new acquisitions over to the range for some get acquainted time.

Super Moderator

The G2 barrels will fit the G1 frames, no problem. Some early G1 barrels may need to be fit with the "split" type lugs to work on your frame. Here is more info:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rchangeability

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Thanks for the info and the link.

Super Moderator

Proceed with caution, Contenders and barrels are highly addictive! I think I'm up to 7 or 8 barrels now...It's an excellent platform, super accurate and fun.

I have owned a few first generation frames and a whole bunch of barrels. I have never had any problem with any of them working together. In fact, the only problem I have ever had with my Contenders is that the barrels seem to multiply all by themselves. I started off with one barrel in 44 Mag, but ended up with more than 20 in all sorts of weird wildcats. If you do get a Contender, you might as well plan now on having barrels in .256 Win Mag, 7 TCU, 7-30 Waters, 30-30, 30 & 357 Herrett, 357 Max, 358 JDJ and 45-70. I am probably forgetting a few, but you get the idea. By the way, there is usually no need to get a 445 Super Mag since many of the 44 Mag barrels have chambers cut long enough that you will just need to cut the 445 brass back a tad to get it to fit. I also recommend the best hearing protection that you can afford.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Don't know how many barrels I might end up with.
    I already have my eyes on a couple barrels and a frame at a local shop, one in .357Mag and the other in .44Mag.
    Since I already have multiple handguns and reloading dies in all those calibers, the only expense would be the barrels themselves.
    Thanks for the heads up on the hearing protection.

Boolit Master
    I can tell you one thing, you will always be on the lookout for more barrels no matter how many you have. You need a 22 barrel, well actually 2. One with iron sights and the other scoped so you don’t hafta decide which is more useful at time! 30/30, 45/410, 223 and 357 go without saying. Yeah welcome to the affliction. Todd/3leg

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple that were breeched up by Vern Juenke. They are tight. He used to adapt Sako .17 cal barrels to Contender frames before anybody made .17 barrels. Interesting guy.

I was going to say the exact thing ShooterAZ said. The Contender platform is very habit forming. I have a G1 handgun and G2 carbine. They are well made, very accurate and a whole lot of fun !

Boolit Master
    Put joining the TCA (Thompson Center Association) on your list of things to do.
    http://thompsoncenterassociation.org/index.html

A wealth of information and a good read to boot.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    My favorite G2 is a 10mm Carbine with a 18" BBl and a Ultradot this gun shoots 200 grain GC WFN cast MOA at 75 yards. I put a folding rear stock so I can pack this gun for a camp gun in Elk camp.

Yup it is an addiction for sure I have several Encore frames and many barrels and of course the G2 Frame.

Boolit Buddy
    They multiply worse than rabbits. Very fun and very accurate platform. I shoot my Contenders and Encores more than any of the others. When you get tired of switching barrels you'll start buying more frames. Next thing you know, you'll need another safe.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    They multiply worse than rabbits.
    thats a fact!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Quick question, I've seen 23" barrels that are listed as being G2 barrels; Are these for the rifle / carbine etc., or would they fit the G1 frame? (bit long for a pistol but higher velocity with the right loads)

The 23” are carbine barrels but would work on the G1 frames. There was some legal issues at one time about going from rifle to pistol and back with frames and barrels. I am sure someone here can explain, but to be safe I keep my pistol as a pistol and rifle as a rifle.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Yes I know of those issues, but so long as you don't make it an SBR you are OK in most states I'd think i.e. no shoulder stock while a 10" barrel's still on there. I usually go 14" barrels, a bit more velocity than 10" and the muzzle blast is a few inches further from me. (Having had a near-deaf family member who lost their hearing from not wearing ear protection, I tend to overdo earpro but I can live with this )

Boolit Grand Master
    MGM produces dandy Contender barrels. If you've got the itch, they are a "go to" resource.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 6 barrels for my contender. Love the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to the addiction!
    I too have mutiple barrels, a couple in wildcats. I acquired last year my buddies Virgin Valley barrel in 45-70. Oh the joy!
    I told my wife that if I had to keep only one gun, this would be it.
    People who don't shoot a lot think I'm crazy for shooting rifle rounds out of a hand gun. I call them sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    MGM produces dandy Contender barrels. If you've got the itch, they are a "go to" resource.
    Some high quality barrels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast