Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contender single shot handgun...

Boolit Master

Two years ago picked up a early 4 digit frame
    And a 44’mag barrel, they have multiplied to 2 44 barrels a 357 max a 22 a 38/357 mag and i currently have my eye on a .35 rem and a 22 hornet. Love them!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've been eyeing a 7-30 Waters and wondering how much kick that'd give in a 14" barrel; Some arthritis in my hands and too much is too much, hmmmm. Need a frame some day, may even get a 22 barrel some day

Boolit Master

My first handgun (at age 21) was a TC Contender super 14 in 7-30 Waters. I later purchased a 10" 357 Max barrel for it. I regretted letting it go but when you have small children you learn they come first. Fast forward a number of years and I came across someone selling Encore setups at a gunshow (this was just a few years ago and I'll be 50 this month) and purchased a 15" pistol in 270 Winchester. Darn if they don't multiply faster when you have more disposable income, I now have 6 barrels, most of them are MGM custom's, 3 pistol and 3 rifle and I just purchased a second frame. Rabbits I tell you...

Do be careful, it's a sickness, much like casting and custom molds lol.

Boolit Bub
    I have three barrels for my Contender. 14" 7-30 Waters, 14" .35 Remington and a 10" .44 Mag. Really like them all. I am looking for one more though. A 14" 7mm TCU. Shooting and loading for them is definitely in the "sickness" category!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Some call it "sickness" others call it "fun"

Boolit Master
    I've got a G2 frame registered as an SBR... Talk about versatility. Any barrel length I want with any stock configuration.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I've got a G2 frame registered as an SBR... Talk about versatility. Any barrel length I want with any stock configuration.
    I've thought about doing this with my encore frame, then it multiplied as well...

Just steer clear of large high pressure cartridges in the G1 and G2 versions. The gun was designed with nothing more than .32-20 and .22 Hornet in mind, and going to bigger cartridges leads to stretched frames and consequent loss of headpace. Been there, done that, soon got cured of the Contender disease. Still have a Gen 1, I use only the .22 Hornet barrel on it, when I bother to get it out at all. Got a .357 Max barrel which I can't in good conscience sell. It nearly terminally ruined my frame. Also a .30 Herrett barrel with a short ton of brass that nobody wants.

Also, swapping barrels around isn't as easy as it looks. Getting multiple barrels to all headspace properly is a PITA. Not too bad with rimless cartridges, so long as you're willing to prep brass to fit the gun, (and nothing else), but rimmed cartridges.....!!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Guess different folks have different experiences with them. I bought a new one in 1976 chambered in 44mag. Didn't shoot it a lot as it was the small grip and octagon barrel, kicked like a mule! That same frame wears a 357 Herrett barrel today and has no headspace issues with any of the barrels I've had or still have. 3030, and 30 herrett as well as the 357 herret have fired 1000s of rounds . Also a 4 digit frame with no issues. Both these frames never had loads above factory 3030 pressures in those head sizes. It was/is moa accurate with factory level 223 Rem.
    The frames will DEFINATELY stretch, and once stretched are done for, but at normal pressures they are fine in 44 mag to 3030 and 35 rem. Many a Contender was ruined with " published" 30 herrett and 357 herrett loads. Just because someone wrote a magazine article dosent make it a pressure tested load. Some were in The 50k psi range when tested on strain gage equipment! Way too much for the design!
    Be very aware that this far down the road any frame should be checked for headspace, but once verified it should be fine with any factory issued chambering or equilivent. If you want horsepower then go up to the encore, it was issued in 270 winchester and the like. That would destroy a Contender!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Proceed with caution, Contenders and barrels are highly addictive! I think I'm up to 7 or 8 barrels now...It's an excellent platform, super accurate and fun.
    Don't but them to "bed" in the same area!!
    When you return again, there will be three, or four new barrels!
    You have been warned

Boolit Master
    Stop now before it's too late!!! Send them to me so I can dispose of them properly. Barrels aren't the only part that multiply like rabbits. So do the frames. Pretty soon you will find yourself in some shop thinking you need another frame so you don't have to switch barrels as often. This disease is a terrible affliction. One day you may find yourself with six frames and eighteen barrels. Ohhh! The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Stop now before it's too late!!! Send them to me so I can dispose of them properly. Barrels aren't the only part that multiply like rabbits. So do the frames. Pretty soon you will find yourself in some shop thinking you need another frame so you don't have to switch barrels as often. This disease is a terrible affliction. One day you may find yourself with six frames and eighteen barrels. Ohhh! The horror!
    It's curable, and without drugs, too. My epiphany came when I realized that the sliding-bolt lockup method was abandoned by American shotgun makers before 1900, and was never revived, with good reason. Why Warren Center chose it for his design baffles me, unless, as I wrote before, he never intended the gun for anything more vigorous than low-horsepower handgun cartridges.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I'm sure this has been hashed around before, but T/C did not make a G1 frame. Just the new version G2. The first frames were just called Contenders. Not trying to start an argument, just saying. As far as the legality of switching barrels, it depends on if it was registered as a rifle or handgun as I understand it
    . I think there is some mention of this on Mike Belm's website
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    MGM produces dandy Contender barrels. If you've got the itch, they are a "go to" resource.
    +1, I recently purchased an Encore pistol frame (TC has a $75 rebate promo), then after much research I opted to NOT purchase a Encore factory barrel but had MGM build me a perfect .243 barrel with a 1-8 twist for shooting the heavies. I abandoned .243 rifle a few years ago and have a couple thousand 90+ gr match bullets. Got my Encore fitted with a Burris 3-12x40 scope and "let me be clear" my MGM .243 barrel produces some amazing accuracy !

I have had three frames, and barrels from .22lr through the 358 JDJ. I've never stretched a frame or had headspace issues, but have always stayed within the design parameters of the gun. As stated earlier, be very careful with some of the wildcat load data that is out there from the 1970's and 80's. Regardless, the Contender and G2 have been around for more than 50 years now, so I guess it is safe to say that the design is proven. The fact that some people have stretched their frames with hot handloads doesn't mean that it is the gun's fault.

Boolit Buddy

I've got several Encores set up in pistol & rifle. Addicting for sure. Never had any accuracy issues & haven't stretched a frame. If it's gonna happen it would probably happen on my 500 S&W barrel but so far it's a tack driver but I can only tolerate shooting that beast with leather gloves and after 15-20 rounds i'm done for the day!

Boolit Master
    Couple of original frames and many barrels, lots of fun and plenty of flexibility.

Favorites?

The 22k hornet, .25-20 Win in a carbine length, the 30 Herret and my Super 14 in 30-30 Win.

That is just the short list of favorites!

Best regards

Three44s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12