RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Hornady Automatic Primer Feeder Woes

Boolit Bub

Hornady Automatic Primer Feeder Woes

I happily load slow on an old single stage Pacific. However, I thought I'd speed things up a bit with the primer feed tube system, which fits my press perfectly. That thing has given me fits though. I have it all set up, to do what it is supposed to, but 75% of the time when I pull the pin to release the primers, they jump the little spring pin and dump all over my reloading area. Having little primers everywhere makes for a frustrating day. I also had to sand and polish the tube end quite a bit to get it to seat in the assembly. So I'm loading and placing the primers in by hand, one by one while the tube sits on the back of the bench and laughs at me. Any advice appreciated, the spring assembly is delicate and I don't want to go bending things without knowing what I'm doing. Thanks!

Go through your set up step by step. It sounds like there is too much clearance between the end of the primer tube and the stop. First, check to installed the correct tube with the correct end down. The end that goes into the press feed structure should have a slight shoulder on one end and a squared off end on the other
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

OK, my mistake. One end is plastic for pick up, the other is squared off. If there is no depth adjustment, try checking for a burr inside the unit that may be preventing the tube from seating. Then check the tube end for burrs. Finally, check that spring loaded teat to see if it is extending all the way. Finally, call hornady and tell them about it. Use the tech line.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Bub
    Thank you much.