Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt 2 - And the Sale That Never Was...

Boolit Man
    I can't tell from the pictures, is the pot stainless steel?

Very nice writeup, thanks for this
    When in doubt tell the truth. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    looks good at first glance--they do look fantastic right out of the box, all clean and bright

my Pro-Melt (guess we call it "1" now) does hold more lead.

I flipped the handle in its guides so I can 'pull down' to get lead flow. Much easier on my shoulder. would be easy to do that on this one, too.

Went with the aftermarket shelf someone was selling on CB here and got his cover, too. No need for the cover as it comes with it. It will do a great job of holding in the heat, that's for sure.
    Hey Walter Laich, any chance you could post a pic of how you modified your handle for pull down operation?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete P View Post
    I can't tell from the pictures, is the pot stainless steel?
    I don't know. I assume so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by desiko View Post
    Hey Walter Laich, any chance you could post a pic of how you modified your handle for pull down operation?
    I basically flipped the handle from on side to the other and added a spring on top of the handle to keep it in closed position. Spring must be strong enough to hold handle 'up' and closed

the copper wire is the holder for the PID probe. there are two copper clips that keep the holder in position--they use the handle to keep the probe from moving.

Cover is an aftermarket one someone was selling on CB--can't remember now--he also sells a much better shelf for the molds

let's see if this works: https://www.flickr.com/photos/157294949@N03/albums/72157667763595628

can't figure out how to post pics so you have to cut and paste link
    Last edited by Walter Laich; 04-13-2018 at 02:21 PM. Reason: cut and paste message added
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I basically flipped the handle from on side to the other and added a spring on top of the handle to keep it in closed position. Spring must be strong enough to hold handle 'up' and closed

the copper wire is the holder for the PID probe. there are two copper clips that keep the holder in position--they use the handle to keep the probe from moving.

Cover is an aftermarket one someone was selling on CB--can't remember now--he also sells a much better shelf for the molds

let's see if this works: https://www.flickr.com/photos/157294949@N03/albums/72157667763595628

can't figure out how to post pics so you have to cut and paste link
    I get it. Thanks alot, Walter.

Boolit Master

two quick points:

I notched the handle on the top where the spring goes to keep it centered on the handle

note the long spring for pouring control. It also keeps the spring locked in place
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master
    I spent my first casting session with the PM2 last night. Zero drips, even when completely and totally full. That was nice since my mag 25 leaked when above 20 pounds or so.

It does seem to heat up a bit slower than the mag 25. Not by any huge margin, though.

Heat control was on point. I checked periodically but with no set schedule of the temperature against the PID with a thermometer. I cast at 700 degrees and the highest I recorded was 712 and the lowest was 690. I consider that deviation insignificant. That said the heat control in the mag25 was always pretty spot on too.

Overall I would recommend this over the mag 25 due to the lack of drips and the better OEM mold guide. I seriously consider the mag25 unusable without addressing the mold guide out of the box.

Personally I just enjoyed a casting session with no drips or splatter whatsoever.

If I had any complaint at all, maybe the lead flow is a little lower than the mag25, but that isn't surprising given the shape of the rod used to activate it. Call it muscle memory but I could probably just open it more without any issue.

Boolit Master

glad to hear it went well

having it not dripping is always great
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Good writeup for anyone curious about them. My PM1 takes longer to heat up than the Lee, so no difference there by the look of it. My handle also has a lot of play in it but it's never caused me any problems. I removed the lock nut on the screw that adjusts the travel of the handle and fitted a stiffish spring, this lets me adjust the travel easily whenever I need to. I'm still glad I have an "original" with a separate PID, but I guess that's no longer an option. Looks like a good unit, though.

Since it's been a couple of months since the last post, I'm wondering if everyone is still happy with their PM2? I'm considering a new pot and RCBS is about 45 miles north of me.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by aws1963 View Post
    Since it's been a couple of months since the last post, I'm wondering if everyone is still happy with their PM2? I'm considering a new pot and RCBS is about 45 miles north of me.
    I just spoke with RCBS customer service as I inquired about the RCBS Pro Melt II availablility. I was told that it went through a redesign and will be available in one month. That is very good news as I will wait for, what I believe, to be the best under pour pot on the market. I figure they probably fixed the dripping issue that so many have talked about in the threads on this forum. Hopefully, a nice sale will be offered on the “homecoming” of this pot.

Boolit Master

This is RCBS's first pot on their own. The pro melt was designed and built by another company and RCBS brought them.

Banned

Thank God my Pro Melt 1 is made in USA

Boolit Buddy
    I still have and use an original BLACK "pre RCBS" Promelt. Works just fine. I also use a Lee 4-20 and it works fine also. Polished the rod and hole and no drips. And for a dipper pot I have an OLD pot. It has a 3 position plug on it for low medium and high temps. Old(40s-50s) ugly. Probably weighs more than the amount of lead it holds. Made in the USA and still works. Hardly ever use it though. All the SAECO and Lyman pots I still have are going on ebay soon.

So my pro melt 2 was dripping worse than a Lee pot when it was full. I contacted RCBS and they sent me a new rod/pin with a redesigned tip on it that has stopped the dripping. So if yours drips then contact them and they will send you one free.

I would guess they do have it working properly now, I bought mine as soon as they were released, I imagine they ship now with the correct part.

Boolit Master

The Pro-Melt originally made by OHIO Thermal,Inc Columbus, Ohio

First ad in Handloader for RCBS May of 1979 before that its was the other company advertising.
    Last edited by dannyd; 10-01-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    l have wrestled with buying a new furnace the past couple years. Read this thread and bought a Pro melt 2 about a month ago.. Esp with upcoming tariffs l thought it was now or NEVER to buy.
    Last edited by sw282; 11-01-2018 at 12:58 AM. Reason: slang

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman and RCBS are part of a large corporation. Lee is privately owned. This has a lot to do w/ it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast