RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
StainLess Steel MediaGraf & Sons

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt 2 - And the Sale That Never Was...

Boolit Master

glad to hear it went well

having it not dripping is always great
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN War Games, 2nd Place

Good writeup for anyone curious about them. My PM1 takes longer to heat up than the Lee, so no difference there by the look of it. My handle also has a lot of play in it but it's never caused me any problems. I removed the lock nut on the screw that adjusts the travel of the handle and fitted a stiffish spring, this lets me adjust the travel easily whenever I need to. I'm still glad I have an "original" with a separate PID, but I guess that's no longer an option. Looks like a good unit, though.

Boolit Bub
    Since it's been a couple of months since the last post, I'm wondering if everyone is still happy with their PM2? I'm considering a new pot and RCBS is about 45 miles north of me.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by aws1963 View Post
    Since it's been a couple of months since the last post, I'm wondering if everyone is still happy with their PM2? I'm considering a new pot and RCBS is about 45 miles north of me.
    I just spoke with RCBS customer service as I inquired about the RCBS Pro Melt II availablility. I was told that it went through a redesign and will be available in one month. That is very good news as I will wait for, what I believe, to be the best under pour pot on the market. I figure they probably fixed the dripping issue that so many have talked about in the threads on this forum. Hopefully, a nice sale will be offered on the “homecoming” of this pot.

Boolit Buddy

This is RCBS's first pot on their own. The pro melt was designed and built by another company and RCBS brought them.

Boolit Grand Master

The China Pot will, ultimately have to be fixed in China. All RCBS can do is try and manage Chinese Production.
    "Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The China Pot will, ultimately have to be fixed in China. All RCBS can do is try and manage Chinese Production.
    If your pro melt was made in last couple of years its a China pot too.

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS
    Red China BS
    "Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson

Boolit Grand Master

Thank God my Pro Melt 1 is made in USA
    James. C. Henderson

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    It's a total shame that so many companies have fled to China to increase its bottom line. They don't care that the good ole USA is losing jobs and it's ability to manufacture its own goods.
    For you people who are complaining about the position of the PID, go to the dime store and buy a mirror. This is the result of world trade and the rich going to the poor third world countries for the labor force. Our trade is so far in the hole with China that it's pathetic.
    Trump is correct with calling them out but the price we pay for all goods is going to increase tenfold. This problem should of been addressed many years ago, well before reaching the levels that we are facing now. I don't think the USA will return to the America we saw in the 50's for many, many years to come.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    l think the last USA PRO MELT was around $400... Amazon has the Chinese Pro Melt2 for $299.

l expect the PM2 from china to be close $400 once the tariff kicks in... Mag25 is over $300 now
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 10-31-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I still have and use an original BLACK "pre RCBS" Promelt. Works just fine. I also use a Lee 4-20 and it works fine also. Polished the rod and hole and no drips. And for a dipper pot I have an OLD pot. It has a 3 position plug on it for low medium and high temps. Old(40s-50s) ugly. Probably weighs more than the amount of lead it holds. Made in the USA and still works. Hardly ever use it though. All the SAECO and Lyman pots I still have are going on ebay soon.

Boolit Bub
    So my pro melt 2 was dripping worse than a Lee pot when it was full. I contacted RCBS and they sent me a new rod/pin with a redesigned tip on it that has stopped the dripping. So if yours drips then contact them and they will send you one free.

Boolit Grand Master

For the amount of money RCBS charges, you would think they could get their china-pot to function properly. I am so surprised that the china-pot leaks. At least RCBS has fanastic customer service. Glad I got a Pro-Melt before it was discontinued
    James. C. Henderson

Boolit Bub
    I would guess they do have it working properly now, I bought mine as soon as they were released, I imagine they ship now with the correct part.

Boolit Buddy

The Pro-Melt originally made by OHIO Thermal,Inc Columbus, Ohio

First ad in Handloader for RCBS May of 1979 before that its was the other company advertising.
    Last edited by dannyd; 10-01-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Guys complaining about China taking over never lived in the 50s ,60s and 70s.........stuff like your pot was so expensive from domestic makers only the very well off could afford it.A joe punchclock like me would never be able to buy the stuff thats dirt cheap now....So instead of everybody buying anything they think they need,we did without,and melted lead on the stove......Tools are one of the best examples.....a small selection of tools to fix a bike or car cost a weeks wages.....anything special ,like the 3 and 3/4 " socket I needed for the truck diff was $400....in 1970.....four weeks wages for a hex socket from Snapon......Made in USA,super quality,yes ,lasted a lifetime ,yes,well soon anyway...........If China was to stop all exports today,the whole of western society would grind to a halt long before any domestic manufacturer could tool up......without computers or phones.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Guys complaining about China taking over never lived in the 50s ,60s and 70s.........stuff like your pot was so expensive from domestic makers only the very well off could afford it.A joe punchclock like me would never be able to buy the stuff thats dirt cheap now....So instead of everybody buying anything they think they need,we did without,and melted lead on the stove......Tools are one of the best examples.....a small selection of tools to fix a bike or car cost a weeks wages.....anything special ,like the 3 and 3/4 " socket I needed for the truck diff was $400....in 1970.....four weeks wages for a hex socket from Snapon......Made in USA,super quality,yes ,lasted a lifetime ,yes,well soon anyway...........If China was to stop all exports today,the whole of western society would grind to a halt long before any domestic manufacturer could tool up......without computers or phones.
    So True So True

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    For the amount of money RCBS charges, you would think they could get their china-pot to function properly. I am so surprised that the china-pot leaks. At least RCBS has fanastic customer service. Glad I got a Pro-Melt before it was discontinued
    I also got a Pro Melt before it was discontinued. They had to send me the same part the first time I used mine. It covered the mold guide and filled the ingot mold below it. The replacement part cured the problem and it now works as intended.

Boolit Buddy
    l have wrestled with buying a new furnace the past couple years. Read this thread and bought a Pro melt 2 about a month ago.. Esp with upcoming tariffs l thought it was now or NEVER to buy.
    Last edited by sw282; 11-01-2018 at 12:58 AM. Reason: slang

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast