MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ???? Small ring mauser questions

I have never seen a reamer like you described. Although I haven't seen a ton of reamers in my life LOL. But everyone I have used has a square 3/8 of an inch end on it so you can put a square 3/8 of an inch female extension t-handle on there. Did you buy the reamer of rent it? If you rented it I would call the company and ask them what you're supposed to turn it with? Good luck we are enjoying this.
    Pictures are always welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I decided to open up the barrel channel while I wait for the reamer to arrive , ..........
    Good luck with that. I've worked on a couple M93 rebarreled to .308W and 358W. For 100% feed reliability with 5 rounds in the magazine I found not only the rails in the receiver needed widening but the inside of the magazine walls also. The taper for the 7x57 cartridge in the magazine is the same as the taper on the receiver rails. One I never have got to feed 100% reliably with 5 rounds....4 yes.....5 no.

When chambered to the 30x57 and 35x57 (short chambered '06 and 35 Whelen with cases of 8x57 length) which have the same case taper as the 7x57 no receiver rail or magazine alteration was needed. The fed slicker than scum off a Louisiana swamp.......

I believe the FR7 and M1916 conversions to 7.62 NATO had both receiver and magazine altered.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    lurking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Post #41 the op reveals the new barrel is for 7x57mm. I still want to try the 30x57 someday. My 1916 30-30 needed no rail work thank goodness. It will only work correctly with 3 in the magazine but that's 2 more than a single shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Post #41 the op reveals the new barrel is for 7x57mm. I still want to try the 30x57 someday. My 1916 30-30 needed no rail work thank goodness. It will only work correctly with 3 in the magazine but that's 2 more than a single shot.

Yes indeed I think a 30x57 would be just about a perfect combination for a fun cast boolit shooter .
    I went with the original 7x57 due to simplicity , but I like the cartridge very much as is . Yesterday evening I finished snuging the barrel to the receiver , and finishing the chamber . It went very well , I spent a lot of time doing it that probably wasn't necessary , but this was the first time I have ever used a reamer . So I was very cautious just taking a few turns , cleaning the reamer , and chamber well , saturating the reamer with cutting oil after checking with the go gage . I stopped with a little tension required to close the bolt , I am going to try it out before returning the rental tools .
    Elk-ridge responded very quickly with a apology and offer to send out the correct t-handle + refund the charge . A customer could not ask for better service .
    Now to do a little tinkering around with OAL before putting a few rounds through it to see how it works .

Boolit Master
    In answer to Larry G.....the Spanish 308 s Ive seen,they didnt bother with any alterations,and they only feed 3 reliably(sometimes) but will take 4 in the mag.....if you have the thumbcut ,you can easily stir up the rounds between shots..........IMHO,the 7x57 seems to have the most taper of any Mauser round..........the least would be the 6.5x55,but I have never seen a swede converted..........but I havent looked either ,cause I know all the early Kimbers used Swede recievers.

Boolit Master
    Here it is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190118_112823.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	234212

Boolit Master
    I had a long post about trying cast boolits in the new barrel yesterday evening , but some how I lost it playing around posting a picture .
    The short version is I am tickled , and think it's going to shoot .

Boolit Master
    The day before yesterday I took it out to try a few rounds at 50 yards after finding out the new chambers acceptable OAL , and was kinda surprised in a good way when a few holes in the target were almost touching . That was with no help from me , I was shooting off a bench but with my elbow resting on the bench I was wobbling around quite a bit .
    So yesterday I stuck a bipod on before going to sight in at a 100 yards just to help me stabilize a little . With 15 rounds in my pocket I walked the sights up around 10 inches to get on target , and shot the last 5 for a group . The first shot in the group i thought I missed the whole target so I walked up to get a good look - to find a little hole in the top of the bullseye , back to the bench feeling pretty good the second shot knocked out the plastic disk I was using as a bullseye , then I thought I'm doing something right . So I walk back to the target with my magic marker and color in wear the bull was the 3rd shot perfect hit . But then I got big headed and threw the last 2 rounds wild opening a 1-1 1/4 group up to a 2 1/2 inch group .
    I didn't do any load work up , it was just a plinking load that I had shot in the previous barrel with adjusted OAL , a dropped powder charge of unique loaded on a loadmaster .
    I think I'm going to like this .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345