Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Wanted 1911 Front Sight Expert Comments

Banned

Wanted 1911 Front Sight Expert Comments

I have two 1911's that I wish to change the front sight ONLY on and need expert help and comments. I wish to replace the blk hum drum front sight with a high visability sight.

The first is a S&W 1911 a custom shop gun.

The second is a range Officer Springfield Arms 1911.

Both have the plain blk front sight that I have problems seeing readily because I'm getting old and don't see like I did 40 years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    The small dot fiber optic work pretty good. I also like the tritium front sights as well. Both are easy to see. I have never tried the gold dot front sights but those look interesting as well.

Banned
    Attachment 217439
    The 1911 Springfield Range officer

Attachment 217440

The Custom Shop Performance center S&W 1911

Banned
    So will both slide out with some type of sight removal/installation tool? Is the Range Officer sight pinned? Your suggestion for a sight removal tool?

Banned
    Unfortunately I am having a problem seeing the plain blk front sight unless I have plenty of light or I guess the right light conditions.

The local gun shop wants around $40 to change the sights per gun. This is why I am very willing to spend far more for the best removal/installation tool. I figure a few sight changes and I have paid for the tool.

I am thinking about the hi viz front sights. I have one on my Ruger Super Red HAwk 44 magnum.

Boolit Buddy
    In my experience the larger dot sights are difficult to get a precise sight picture.

Boolit Master
    A nylon or brass punch, and a tad bit of care with a hammer will knock the sights out and put them back in. Left to right out, right to left in.

A sight pusher is easier, but can bring it's own issues into the equation. Much better for adjusting the sights at the range though.

For target shooting, plain black is what I want. For better visibility and target shooting capability, the Yost 001 Gold line front sight is my preferred one.

For defensive, faster shooting I much prefer Trijicon HD night sights with the orange front. You can still shoot precisely...ish, but its not a target sight.

For the pinned sight, I just drill them out.

Boolit Master
    also consider some of the sight paints that are offered out there. They can make a heck of a difference, and cost alot less than a new sight.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy

Sight paint. try it first. If you replace sight, look at the same height sight.

Boolit Master

What is the width of the notch in your rear sight. Sounds as if you need and old guy rear sight. If you have a friend with a mill, line up on the rearmsight with an 1/8" cutter and widen it to .140 or .156 first. You can also narrow a front sight fron .128 to about .110.

Personally, I like a FO or lamped Front Sight and a .140 plain rear.

ETA: to change out your front sights, first contact manufacture and find out what size dovetail they cut. I think springfield is a standard Novak but the Limber is probably proprietary. Order your desired front sights.

1. To remove pinned front sights, if there is a through hole to the inside of the slide, drift out with a punch. As you look at the rear of the slide, you what to remove the front sight from the left to the right. If it doesnt move freely, is is possibly lock tited so, soldering iron, heat gun or propane torch till ya hear the sizzle and knock it out. Install new in reverse order. Once the new roll pin is installed, insure inside of slide where the roll pin protrudes is clearanced for the barrel bushing or relieved flush.
    Last edited by Greg S; 04-01-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Or,you could try an old trick that I have used in the past.File a slot in the front sight and use a piece of bright colored tooth brush handle glued in place.Works a treat.And it is easy to change colors when you want to.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Bub
    I'm no expert, but you will need a safe sided file to fit the new front sight, probably 65 degrees. I've fit 4 or five on 1911's, and they should be oversized on the dovetail width. Never had to pin one. If your height is good I'd try some sight paint first.

Boolit Master

King Tappan's work on original style 1911s. Sadly they seem no longer available. With a dove tail you should have no problems. Good luck.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Another option would be to buy the tritium inserts and drill and install them in your existing front sights.
    I have seen one guy cut a small pocket with a end mill in the face nd he did a bar on one also cutting a slot up the middle also. He then salvaged an old wedding band and melted gold into the cup and slot. finishing them out and polishing.
    There are a lot of options for front sights for 1911s out there. If these arnt to be holster carried a square face or slightly under cut face may show better to your eyes than the ramped angled style.

Try Dawson precision sights web page. They have many different sights for the 1911 and other guns. they also have several videos on You Tube that will show you how to install front or rear sights. they also include a drift tool with the sight to tap it in to the dove tail. Prices are reasonable. I had to get a tritium front sight for my Springfield EMP as the factory tritium front sight was too low and my favorite defense load was hitting 5 inches high at 15 yards. the cost for the tritium night sight and drift tool was only 49 dollars which is a good price for that style of sight. You may want a fiber optic sight with the big dot and they are cheaper then the tritium sights.

Banned
    The rear sight on the Range Officer is adjustable and I have no plans to change it.

After watching the video on you tube (dawson Sights) I wouldn't let that guy anywhere close to any of my 1911's. He was like watching a bear trying to walk in a china store. None of the videos showed anyone actually working on a Range Officer just a 1911. At least what I saw available. Maybe I missed one I should have watched.

Still trying to find out if what looks like a vertical pin in the front sight actually is. Does anyone know for sure? I don't want to start beating on things before I am sure if what looks like an alignment pin actually is.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post

Still trying to find out if what looks like a vertical pin in the front sight actually is. Does anyone know for sure? I don't want to start beating on things before I am sure if what looks like an alignment pin actually is.
    Yes that is a tiny roll pin & from experience I can assure you it can be a real mutha to line up so it drives in easy. Goes into slide and can be driven down to remove sight, use needlenose to pull rest of way out.....re-insert from top thru new sight.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master

Remember to look for and remove the locator pins! Brownell's catalog has about 50 different sights you can use but I prefer the fiber optic for normal use and the tritium for duty guns.

Moderator Emeritus

Greg S gives good advice, and a lot of other good suggestions. I too am at the age where the sights are getting harder and harder to see and align effectively. But I'm just glad to still be here. I think I'm going to start practicing my "instinctive" shooting again. I was fairly decent at it once, but then learned to catch that "flash sight picture" and haven't done any in a long time. It's time for a refresher course, I think?

If what I've done with my guns is of interest, I got a set of LPA white outline sights, and they are MUCH better, but still can't compensate fully for declining vision. So .... I'm not as accurate as I once was, but I can still be fairly "dangerous" if I'm having a good day.

If a person can't see his sights, he simply CANNOT shoot effectively. I sometimes wonder if I won't soon need a 1/2" wide front sight on my guns! (only half kidding here!) Good luck. Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Boolit Master
    Years before sight paint was offered I started using fingernail polish on several of my front sights. Most pharmacies and big box stores have displays of every color you could imagine. The bottles are cheap and come with their own applicator brush. I have tried some of the "metallic" colors but they seem to wash out the paint color in bright light. For many years my personal choice has been yellow as it is bright and responds well to even low light. I apply one thin coat, allow it to dry, then a second coat to get full color shift from the original sight. Drips and spill-overs on the sides of the sight can be wiped off while wet to keep the front sight flat and square when seen from the rear. As soon as I apply the paint I stand the firearm so that the painted surface is flat horizontal to avoid the paint crawling down onto the barrel or sight base. If the paint becomes chipped, re-apply as needed. Removal is done with fingernail polish remover or any other chemical that will not injure the sight's original finish. Warning - be prepared for questions from checkout clerks where you buy the paint. These discussions can be a fun exchange. Good luck with your project.