Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reloading .25 ACP???

Boolit Master

I often had wondered if there was anybody that had chambered a rifle it the cartridge. I like to reload and cast and would prefer in over a 22 RF.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    I have found liners here
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

With an O.D. of about .4375, seems like a liner in a 45-70 barrel would work. Or a 44 magnum barrel bored out a bit. H&R/NEF doesnt have any other barrels that would work with out alot of work.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

I've often though of a .25 rifle also. I have a nice Remington .22 with nine locking lugs that I have toyed with the idea of converting to .25 ACP. I think it would make a great squirrel gun!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master
    In the dim mists of ancient time, an anonymous benefactor provided me with a die set and shellholder for the 25 ACP. I made the grave error of acknowledging receipt of same publicly on this board, and took no end of guff and feedback from the peanut gallery over the acquisition. I see now that the membership at large has matured over time, and become more accepting of the more esoteric (and diminutive) sectors of our hobby crafting.

Which is a good thing. One of the Rotten Daughters recently found a very nice little Browning 25 ACP, so I may have to fit 25 ACP reloading in among the brake jobs and furniture assembly assignments that fall my way as a part of being the only male with tools among a wife and six daughters.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ha! Al! I knew it! You were in denial! You are indeed reloading for a .25 ACP! Thank you brother, I needed cheered up, and you have made my day! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Hey, reloading the 25 ACP is very manly! It takes cojones to face that little cartridge sitting on the shellholder! Al is going to need to watch his daughters as it will disappear. They will love it if they shoot it.
    Michael

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

25 acp

the only trouble I have with the 25 is my short thick fingers it took a while to learn to pull them out then work the handle.I have an ORTEGA.
    Lee #15 is for 25acp.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

mould available

I figured if I laid in the weeds long enough a "victim" would surface to lease my 2c Lyman 25 acp mould.... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by onceabull View Post
    I figured if I laid in the weeds long enough a "victim" would surface to lease my 2c Lyman 25 acp mould.... Onceabull
    Do you have any idea how long it would take to fill a mayonaisse jar with a 25 mold? Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

AL!

SIX daughters !?! SIX?

I'm pretty much at a loss for words. It's probably too late to tell you that they now know where all those girls come from . . . and even in California it's illegal to do anything with 'em, ain't it? I'm sure it is, I'm just sure.

You're a better man than I.

Cat
    Last edited by Catshooter; 01-30-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Wow, I really started this thread over 2 years ago?? I think I've been working too much! This whole project is more a question of finding myself some additional "sanity" time away from work.

Here's a quick update for the interested... I went the Lee product route to keep the cost to a minimum and re-use some of the things I already had on hand.

I've finally got 3 Lee Reloaders setup next to each other: size, powder through expanding die and bullet seating stations.

De-capping is done previously and I'm priming by hand, so I've pulled the pin out of the resize die.

Bullseye is dropped from a Pro Auto Disk. I've found the smallest cavity of the Micro Disk drops a very regular 1.3 grains..

Currently, I'm seating a 50gn j-word bullet (Didn't know if I was going to be patient enough to reload many of these) to .890 COAL, and have the seating die set to remove the bell, crimping to the point where I can't push the bullet into the case by pressing it against the bench.

Loading isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Once I get into the rhythm, it goes pretty quickly. Ran through 50 rds in just under 30 min the other day, but that includes a whole bunch of "futzing" time..

Now, depending on how my wife and I like plinking with this load, I think I might just have to find myself a mould.
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck

Boolit Grand Master

Fussy reloading. I worked up to 1.5 gr BE, and that was VERY hot, had to back down.

Workable, but I don't do it very often. Pretty much gave up on the little .25 ACP CCW niche
    when the P3AT came along and was able to do pretty much what the Browning copy did
    as far as concealability with FAR more effectiveness.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

I know a gentleman who reloads .25ACP. He measures the powder with a handmade scoop, he says. Made from a .25 case, I believe.

This same gentleman, in order to fire a .22 cal on the 100yd range (no rim-fires allowed), created a cartridge, by necking down a .25 case to fit a 22 bullet. I think the other reason, was to mess with the head of the range owner.... He said it worked well. Is this also called the .22 flea?

I am relocating all my casting and reloading equipment at the moment, but have scheduled casting and reloading for the 1914 and 1934 Mauser pocket pistols I ran across. I got them because of all the Mauser rifles in the safe.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Master
    I just saw this thread and read through it all. I too reload the 25 auto, and cast for it as well. I have no less than 5 different molds for it, cuz I go a bit nuts for the small stuff. I load them like Ranchdog does, on the turrent press so I have to handle the cases less. Use the Lee autodisc with the micro charge disc, and it works fine. I don't find it harder to load than anything else really. I have a Lee FCD die for it as well, got it in a set of dies I bought off Gunbroker. I think it crimps the boolit a little too much. A pic for RD if he see's this, Lee did make a 25 acp trimmer at one time! This one was packaged in one of the old style red and white cards they used to use. I have one for 32 acp as well. I haven't ever seriously used it, but it trims cases to a pretty consistent .604-.605. Used to have a Lee Loader for it as well, it was the "Improved" loader with the red plastic priming tool. Alas, I sold it when someone offered me a ridiculous price for it.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Grand Master
    Two words--needlenose pliers. Dinky little monsters, with REALLY dinky components. Makes the 32 ACP seem gargantuan in comparison. (My name is Allen, and I am.......a reloader of the 25 ACP.) Start the music, Ric.

Properly adjusted, the 25 ACP sizer die makes a fine neck sizer for the 25-20 WCF. Just sayin'.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Been known to reload the dinky li'l' thing too. Don't cast for it though. No. 2 buckshot makes a nice little patio load the grandkids enjoy shooting off the deck with grandma's Beretta. Actually, I suppose loaded full tilt it's still a little patio load! Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    NEI produces the best mold for the 25 ACP. Not to difficult to reload these provided you don't have big fingers.
    I'd look around for another company. NEI has become....well, what's the polite way of saying it? A GARBAGE FACTORY.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

You should just buy a slingshot. It's a lot quieter and you can pick reloads up off the ground. (.45 slugs work great for nuisance pigeons) see there, no need to size!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCall View Post
    A pic for RD if he see's this, Lee did make a 25 acp trimmer at one time! This one was packaged in one of the old style red and white cards they used to use. I have one for 32 acp as well. I haven't ever seriously used it, but it trims cases to a pretty consistent .604-.605.
    You know how to make a fellow "Red" with envy. I would like to find a 25 ACP trimmer as it is a chore on my Lyman trimmer!
    Last edited by Ranch Dog; 02-01-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    Michael

Boolit Lady

Ranch Dog, are your 25 ACP molds back in stock yet? Still wanting one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast