WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Made a Stupid Mistake

Boolit Master

Hodgdon says 6.2 is a maximum load at 17.200 CUP. Before recommending that a change of components is OK, you should check the recommended data from the manufacturer.

It is better to be safe than sorry. 5.8 grains is recommended as a starting load, so I would load at 6.0 grains if it were my gun and components.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    I think I'll just deprime them and load them in some 357 light loads. Or i could shoot some wax bullets in the back yard. Not the first or last time doing something stupid. Just glad I realized what I did.
    The must be "S"mall Pistol Magnum Primers(SPMP) in the 45ACP cases, if they will fit .357.
    I thought you were talking "L"arge Pistol Magnum Primers.

Regardless, like I said, GLuck! with whatever ya decide.

Be safe!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies, sorry to just get back to this.
    Yes they are just primed cases, not loaded. Yes, they are small pistol magnum. Yes my load is right at maximum for Universal but that's where it works best for me and doesn't leave unburned power all over everything.
    We went to the Rangers game today (and watched them loose miserably) but stopped on the way and picked up some correct primers. I'll deprime the cases and use those primers for some wax bullets and reprime with standard primers since that is what my loads are built around and I'm not really wanting to tinker with new loads right now. I have a 30-30 project going and decided to load the 45s "in the mean time"
    I really envy you guys that can step out the back door for some informal shooting/testing but I'd have the Popo here in short order. A trip to the range for me is a full day
    I truly appreciate all of your opions and advice, and JB thanks for offering to pop the caps for me, looking out for my saftey

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    ...Snip....

I truly appreciate all of your opions and advice, and JB thanks for offering to pop the caps for me, looking out for my saftey
    Sure! You are very welcome!
    LOL

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

You could make up a few test rounds with your normal load, but using mag primers, so you can test them and see if they feel too hot to you.

Personally, I dont think the answer is deprime them all and start over. You could make starting loads out of them for plinking. If unique doesnt work for your tastes with min loads... use a different powder for these. No reason to waste primers/money when you can use them safely.

The CCI primers all have different color priming compounds. Look at the LPMP & the LPP and you can see the difference. This will help you to sort them if they get mixed. May be impossible once loaded. But I'd probably backoff 10% on the powder and shoot em.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I use magnum primers in all my small primer loads, but I never shoot maximum loads either.

Boolit Buddy
    You could bring them up here, I'll help you get rid of them.

Boolit Master
    You'll never be able to tell the difference and the gun will never be able to tell the difference. Just shoot them. If you want to be safe drop the powder charge down .1 or .2 grains.

Boolit Buddy
    Rond , I need to come out to your neck of the woods and load up some pork.
    I got them deprime and reprimed them today. Only took about an hour and I feel better. The others won't go to waste, I'll use them somewhere. No sense risking fingers and $800 worth of Sig Sauer over $8 worth of primers.
    I did look at them but all have yellow compound

Boolit Master

If you like your load and don't want to change it, I can understand doing exactly what you did. Not good to change up components on a max load without working up, and depriming is less time and effort than working up a new load. Probably a wise choice; even if it might have been safe with mag primers, it's worth doing it right just for the peace of mind.

Boolit Buddy
    They are tearing up the ground but are hard to sneak up on.

Boolit Master

As the husband of an Insurance agent I must say to back off your load by 10% when changing components, however I would probably use them as is but my loads don't tend to be any higher than mid-range loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that you "did well". Safety first.
    Last edited by Safeshot; 04-03-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: He took good approach already
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

Primers affect the pressure generated by the cartridge. Changing from standard to magnum primers may substantially raise the maximum average pressure of the cartridge and indiscriminate changes are not recommended. The A-Square Company conducted pressure tests involving six different primers. These tests used the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge with a 160 grain Sierra BT bullet and 66.0 grains of H4831 powder and the results were reported in the A-Square reloading manual Any Shot You Want. A-Square used CCI 200 and 250, Federal 215, Remington 9 1/2M, and Winchester WLRM and WLR primers in these tests. They revealed a total spread in pressure of 12,800 psi from the mildest standard (the CCI 200) to the hottest magnum (WLRM) primer tested.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    Always provided that your load is sensible for your gun, not a red line screamer that you found on the web, a Magnum primer will mean diddly squat. It may boost velocities by 10-15 fps and pressures by 1,500-2,000 PSI in pistol cartridges. Rifle primers in Magnum rifle cartridges are not relevant.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 04-04-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    The CCI primers all have different color priming compounds. Look at the LPMP & the LPP and you can see the difference. This will help you to sort them if they get mixed. May be impossible once loaded. But I'd probably backoff 10% on the powder and shoot em.
    I have some of the older CCI SPM primers and they have an orange compound (red and silver box), but the newer ones (blue box) have the same looking yellow compound as the regular small pistol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12