MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Made a Stupid Mistake

Boolit Buddy

I Made a Stupid Mistake

Priming a batch of 45acp and had to refill the priming tool. Out of about 250 cases, 11 are now primed with magnum primers.
    A while back, I traded a local guy some large rifle for these large pistol. Half of the box he gave me are magnum. I should have payed attention, but what are my options? Deprime, toss them and start over? Down load to minimum? Any way to tell a difference in CCI primers without dropping the hammer on them? I normally load these pretty stout (200gr Mihec HPs over 6.2gr Universal) but no way I'd trust that now.
    My job requires all my fingers and my eyes. I'm really ticked off at myself right now...
    I know the right answer, my body parts are worth more than $8 worth of primers.

Boolit Master

I've done it several times over the years and never seen the slightest difference, but maybe an expert can weigh in on the subject.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Take no chances....its not worth it. Pull the bullets, dump the powder then pop all the primers and start over....its the safest....SAFETY FIRST.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

As long as your loads are not towards the upper end of the load data you will be fine.
    Last edited by tranders; 04-01-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

MDC -- with no disrespect, I believe you acknowledged being cognizant of the answer to your query, to wit: "I know the right answer, my body parts are worth more than $8 worth of primers"! And, I'd suggest redhawk0 is "right on", as well. However, I have made the same switch -- interestingly both of CCI brand, as you have. The box of primers I had -- wasn't, and a shooting session was imminent! So, I reckoned the cup size being of prime concern, and, pistol primers in regular and magnum sizes being identical, "why not"? Of concern to me would be which powder you used, as well as how much. Mine were the ubiquitous 4.3 grains of Alliant Bullseye, under a my-cast H&G 68bb. In *MY* experience, the was NO difference in shooting my Colt stainless series 80 .45acp! At the time, it seemed the POI moved a tad higher, and to the left on target, but I'm not a good enough shot to not discount that fault being none other than me .
    If it were me, I'd shoot 'em. IF you can isolate those 11 with the magnum primers, perhaps darken their primers with a magic marker, and use them as warm-up and/or for spotters?
    BEST!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    As long as your loads are not towards the upper end of the load data you will be fine.
    +1 on the above. Unless your load is on the edge of insanity, the magnum primer will not cause any harm, nor will it have any observable effect on performance.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Unless you were at the max load there should not be a problem. I regularly use magnum primers in 45 acp.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Lower the charge to starting level and shoot them for practice
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    You are right at the max load but I don't think the pressure will increase that much. If I knew which ones were the magnum primers I would shoot one and see what it looked like.

Boolit Master
    Why Pop the Primers and waste them.
    I have had similar situations over the years.
    If in doubt, pull the bullets, drop the load a little and reseat the bullets.
    But if you dont want to use the Magnum primers for some reason, like the primer cup is harder and you are afraid of Misfires.
    Then just run them thru the depriming cycle after you pull the bullets, and save the primers.
    If you de-prime them slowly, there is little danger of the primers going off.
    I have done it many a time, and have yet to have a primer go off.
    But take all safety measures that you can, like wearing safety goggles. clear your bench of any thing like primers and powder that can cause a fire, and sometimes I drape a towel over the die and press when in the De-priming stroke.
    Remember it wasn't too long ago that we couldn't find primers.
    I had to Scrounge primers from one caliber to load another.

delete
    Last edited by Texas by God; 04-01-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Confession time; I have used Magnum Rifle primers in the .45 ACP before. A true Non- Event. As said, if your loads are sensible to begin with you'll be fine.
    Now, you are flirting with disaster. #1. A large rifle primer will boost a 830 fps load to upwards of 100 fps in the . 45 ACP. 2. Large Rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers which results in the primer standing proud of the case head when seated. A slam fire can and will occur with attendant excitement and entertainment. DO NOT USE ANY LARGE RIFLE PRIMERS IN .45 ACP AMMO.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Fair enough. What I should have said was that I've gotten away with it during primer shortages.
    Large pistol Magnum primers are ok. Do not use LR primers in pistol. Thanks, Dan.

Boolit Master
    No LRP were used or harmed in the OP 'S thread.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

I agree.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Take no chances....its not worth it. Pull the bullets, dump the powder then pop all the primers and start over....its the safest....SAFETY FIRST.

redhawk
    I would rather pop the bullets dump the powder and redo the primers than get hurt. like redhawkO said SAFETY FIRST it just not worth the risk D Crockett

Boolit Master
    The way I understand your OP, you are not sure which of the 250 primed cases have the 11 LPMP.

If it was "me", I would just load the lot with low end of the range of the powder you want to use.
    ( I have experimented with LPMP in my .45 using lower end of the load data range loads using Red Dot/230gr 2R & TC, BTW, and had -0- issues. I rarely shoot any max loads & usually stay at least 0.1 gr. below for safety reasons, anyway, so I am/was not overly concerned. YMMV of course.)

Or, you can de prime the lot of 250 & then use them in a firearm caliber that you can "know" will be safe to use either LPP or LPMP. For example a Ruger SRH or the like with a powder that would not have too much difficulty dealing with them. ( If it were me & I did that depriming option, I would use my SRH & 2400 powder, or even H110as the powder, if concerned about LMPP & 2400, since H110 is usually recommended to have LPMP primers & substituting the LPP in the rest of the rounds would likely cause less pressure.)

All YOUR decision of course... At YOUR own risk.

Unless, of course.... you would like to send the primed cases to me & I will load & shoot them & then send ya 250 cleaned cases in return.

G'Luck ! with whatever ya decide!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    I think I'll just deprime them and load them in some 357 light loads. Or i could shoot some wax bullets in the back yard. Not the first or last time doing something stupid. Just glad I realized what I did.

I would shoot it and move on. I use rifle primers in my GP100 just because Its cheaper and haven't had any problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I think there's some confusion about whether you actually loaded them up yet or not. I think some people are assuming that you have primed brass that's ready to load, and others are assuming that you loaded them up with a near max load before you caught the mix-up.

If the latter is correct, I would take the safe route and pull them. If the former, I would load them up with a lighter load and shoot them without the slightest hesitation. In recent years when primers where more scarce, I experimented loading 9mm with standard primers, mag primers, and small rifle primers. I carefully worked up loads, checking velocity over a chronograph. I was surprised at how little difference there is, and all three worked equally well with my mid-range loads.

When you're working up a load that's pushing the maximum you want to be very careful with exact components and not even use a different brand of primer without working up again, but at the lower end of the data I think accidentally getting a few mag primers mixed in is absolutely nothing to worry about. Heck, that's how I used mag primers when it was all I had: I started with a lighter load and worked my way back up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast