Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Need help from the experts

Boolit Bub

Need help from the experts

Hey y'all quick question.
    To get boolits to drop larger, use alum tape (but makes boolits oval vs round?)
    Or
    I heard to spin a cast boolit in the mold with lapping compound?

Marlin 1894 44mag I heard the bore is larger than others (.432-.433ish) I will slug it when I get some free time to make certain.

Looking for opinions from those that have tried those methods...

Thank you....

What is the accuracy you are getting with the bullets now? How many groups have you shot? What mold/bullet are you using?

Boolit Master

Yes, you ban enlarge the cavities by spinning a casting coated with abrasive, ths is a loooonnnngggg process on a steel mould. Best to use a drill press to preserve concentricity. Aluminum moulds are much less labor intensive, but I still recommend a drill press.

Or, you can "beagle" the mould with HVAC tape. Yes, they will be a hair out of round but the bore will swage them back to perfection assuming they are big enough to seal the bore. Make sure the "small" dimension of the diameter is bigger than the bore diameter. Don'y worry about them being oversize, best to have a boolit that fills the thoat. In my '94 c .357 Nagnum. the bore is undersize at .3558" yet my boolits shoot great at .360" diameter. Fit the throat.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...o-a-pound-cast

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...78#post4061278

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ture-diameters
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Bub
    Haven't worked on accuracy yet.
    Haven't had much time to do anything.lol. trying to get caught up on orders, then I will be giving load development my full attention..
    Just trying to learn all I can ahead of time so I don't mess up first, then learn...lol...
    Knowledge first usually prevents or limits mess-ups.. and y'all have more knowledge than I do..

Boolit Master
    Knowledge first usually prevents or limits mess-ups..

True. This is why it is important to know what the barrel dimensions are, and then the as cast diameter, and then how they shoot to see if there is a "problem". One has to determine what the problem is, if there is one, and then decide the best way to fix it. Other wise the "what if's" will drive you nuts before you even pull the trigger. This can be a really fun hobby if you do not overthink things too much.

If it were not for the rough roads, you would not really enjoy the smooth ones. Be safe.

Boolit Bub
    Amen..
    Thank you..

Boolit Buddy
    Easiest way to make diameter larger is powder coating. I have a lee aluminum mold that I tried to enlarge and only got it polished. I now shake & bake powder coat and love how it shoots. This also solved a lube problem in a 32" 45-70 barrel.

Boolit Bub
    For your powder coating, where are you getting that at?

Banned
    PBTP (powder by the pound), Eastwood, Cardinal all good powders that I know of. Others will work too just make sure you get polyester TGIC with at least 70% gloss and you'll be OK

Boolit Master

don't forget Smoke in the vendor section. I've used him numerous times with great satisfaction
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place