Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

Last night on the way back from hunting we stopped at the range and found what appears to be some sort of muzzle break in front of the shooting benches embedded in the sand. I have been amazed at the knowledge this forums users posses in identifying almost anything posted. So please clue us in to what we have found. Pictures below and I can take measurements if needed. The threads are 3 different diameters further causing me to scratch my head. There is gunpowder residue/carbon inside.

Boolit Mold
    I don't think that is a brake. I believe you have found a can adapter. I have to wonder if there was a baffle strike and that's why you found it in the dirt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yes I agree, you found a suppressor adapter for two different thread sizes. It looks like it was held onto a non-threaded barrel by the set screws. I bet that someone didn't realize that it came off, when they packed up for the day. They were likely shooting without the silencer on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    I don't think that is a brake. I believe you have found a can adapter. I have to wonder if there was a baffle strike and that's why you found it in the dirt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Well dang, I believe you are correct as it looks just like the one here Funny thing is I thought it might be part of a can but couldn't picture how it would work knowing nothing about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Yes I agree, you found a suppressor adapter for two different thread sizes. It looks like it was held onto a non-threaded barrel by the set screws. I bet that someone didn't realize that it came off, when they packed up for the day. They were likely shooting without the silencer on the gun.
    Yep, I will stop by and leave it with the attendant this week to see if we can find it's rightful owner. It was well after dark when my son found it.

Banned

looks like an adapter to put a silencer on a rifle. Lots of them today are made multi caliber and use adapters like that so you can switch them from anything from a 22 to a 458

Boolit Master
    Tough call on returning it to the rightful owner. Many people go to the range one time and never return or only return infrequently. They may never ask about it either. But maybe the range can do something about posting a sign to ask about things they lost at the range.

Boolit Master

this is a very grey area, if you don't have a tax stamp I would follow the 3s rule of shoot, shovel, and shut up. who ever owns it may not come forward due to possible prosecution and the range will want nothing to do with it for the same reasons.