Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Play Doh

Boolit Man

Shooting Play Doh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1609.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	217412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1608.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	217413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1581.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	217414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1580.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	217415

I'll receive my 360 gr mold back from being hollow-pointed in the next few weeks so wanted to set a baseline to compare boolit performance. I was very pleased with how the homemade play doh simulated ballistics gel. The numbers for the 180 xtp and 200 gold dot are very close to published ballistics gel data. About $20 worth of ingredients to make the play doh. I'll post results of my soft heavy cast boolit once I have them but thought y'all might like this experiment.

Boolit Master

Ok, what is the formula. That looks just too fun.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Man
    That is the exact formula I used. I made the playdoh about a month ago and put it in a trash bag and then into a super large ziploc bag. It molded a bit but definitely didn't dry out. I have a feeling it will be usable for at least a year.

Boolit Master

so how many batches of play dough did you make in all?
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Man
    I made about 30 pounds of play doh. That fills a box that is 5.25" square about 22" deep. I hinged the sides so it lays open and you can cut into the block to examine cavity, etc. I started off making a pound at a time on the stove and that got old quick so I broke out the wok to make 5 lbs at a time. 5 lbs = 5 cups flour, 3 1/3 tablespoons cream of tartar, 1 2/3 cups salt, 5 cups water, 5 tablespoons oil.

Boolit Master

Printed the recipe...thanks for the link.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluerock2000 View Post
    I made about 30 pounds of play doh. That fills a box that is 5.25" square about 22" deep. I hinged the sides so it lays open and you can cut into the block to examine cavity, etc. I started off making a pound at a time on the stove and that got old quick so I broke out the wok to make 5 lbs at a time. 5 lbs = 5 cups flour, 3 1/3 tablespoons cream of tartar, 1 2/3 cups salt, 5 cups water, 5 tablespoons oil.
    Was that no trans-fat oil?

I was just wondering 2 things 1 what cal of a gun did you use??? and 2 how far in the play dough did it go ??? from what I see you had one heck of a experiment and I think it is a cool idea D Crockett

Now that is pretty cool !! Homemade play dough....who would have thunk it ?
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Would adding a good helping of borax in the mix stop the mold?

Boolit Grand Master

Hahahahahahaha! I tried something similar a few years ago but using "bread dough". I figured I could make a re-usable ballistic gelatin like media inexpensively by making somewhat soft dough then shooting, recovering boolits, re-kneading, shooting again, etc. and maybe even recover enough to freeze or preserve for re-use.

Well, not a bad idea I thought but... by the time I had kneaded the dough it was getting stiff (that gluten thing) and I figured it wouldn't be easy to re-knead so I added a bit of water to thin it some. Now if you've ever made bread dough you know it is not good to add water late in the game as it goes all slimy like. So now I'm covered with bread dough slime up to my elbows! I decide that the dough seemed too stiff to be useful as straight bread dough and shooting it would enhance that gluten thing so maybe if I thinned it more I could put some in 2 liter pop bottles or gallon milk jugs so... I added more water and got slimier! In the end I got it into bottles and expansion testing went pretty well but there was goopy bread dough hanging off tree branches and covering the countryside! And trying get boolits back was very messy. Very, very messy! Nothing was re-usable so not a successful experiment in most respects.

Play-Doh makes far more sense!

Great idea and write up. Makes me wish I was smarter!

Longbow

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Was that no trans-fat oil?
    Vegetable oil

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    I was just wondering 2 things 1 what cal of a gun did you use??? and 2 how far in the play dough did it go ??? from what I see you had one heck of a experiment and I think it is a cool idea D Crockett
    44 cal and I wrote the expansion and penetration data beside each bullet in the pic (sorry for the sideways pic. I always seem to get that wrong.). The 300 xtp went through all 22” of medium and caught in a bag of towels. The 200 gold dot only went about 13” but fragmented considerably. The other two were in between.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluerock2000 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1609.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	217412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1608.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	217413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1581.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	217414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1580.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	217415

I'll receive my 360 gr mold back from being hollow-pointed in the next few weeks so wanted to set a baseline to compare boolit performance. I was very pleased with how the homemade play doh simulated ballistics gel. The numbers for the 180 xtp and 200 gold dot are very close to published ballistics gel data. About $20 worth of ingredients to make the play doh. I'll post results of my soft heavy cast boolit once I have them but thought y'all might like this experiment.
    How many batches of the size described in mehavey’s post did it take? Did you make one big batch or in several little ones? I’m wondering how many times it can be kneaded out and reused? Would adding the food coloring make it easier to see and hit?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Man
    I made six 5 lb batches. Five pounds at a time gets the forearms burning pretty good when you’re constantly turning it in the pan. Food coloring would definitely increase visibility but I was only shooting from 15 feet and adjusted my loads to match the impact velocity at my intended hunting distance. I’ve read different accounts online regarding how long it will keep and it seems to be a few months. However, this is from people who are actually using it for kids to play with so it is constantly being worked and dried out. I stored this in three bags to eliminate all air from getting to it and am optimistic that it will keep for a long time. It’s very easy to use and really gave me a good idea not just about expansion and penetration but also of cavity dimensions, how fast the bullet opened, etc. I’m really excited to get my mold back and try my 360 gr HP’s in this.

Boolit Man
    As a side note if you're going to try this definitely make a strong four sided box to hold it or your play doh will be all over the place with the first shot. My box held up pretty well but I used light duty hinges and the Nosler blew one of them off. Ended up using a ratchet strap to secure the sides and top of the box for the last few shots.

Boolit Master
    Longbow, for some reason your post had me laughing uncontrollably! Seems like something I would do,.....
    Playdoo sounds interesting, looking forward to more info, thanks for the recipe.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I had an elementary school teacher who sent a recipe for this stuff home with us one year in the late 60's.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

we used it all the time (35 years as elementary teacher)

biggest problem with the 1st and 2nd graders was keeping them from eating it. Even when we mixed colors to make it look yucky it would go straight into their mouths.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast