Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our government in action

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Last year I bought a 1 and 2 gallon gas can at Walmart . It's the first 'new' style 'SAFTY" gas cans I have bought . They were pure junk and a torment to use . Have to stand there 10 min while this thing strangled , gurgled and choked to put out a pee size stream of gas . I was tormented all summer by them .

I got money says it took 200 college educated idiots a year to engineer these screwed up pieces of trash . I'd like to see the statistics as to see how many lives have been saved by forcing us to use these things .

I unscrewed the spout off and with a screwdriver ripped the flapper out of the bottom then pulled a spring and rod out . It turned it old style and just took a min . I'll has to find a cap to go over the end of the spout but I don't see that hard to do .

.................................................. ..............end of rant .
    You actually have no one to blame but yourself for purchasing that junk. If you had looked around you would have found other more usable gas cans out there like I did that were a few years old and had some dust from sitting on the shelf. Next time check out the old hardware stores in your area. That is what I did to obtain some dated gas cans that one can easily use at a cost of probably $5-7 more each than the junk out there now.

Moderator Emeritus

I use the DuraFlow 14 gallon gas can pumps like a gas station pump handle. Just put it a little higher for gravity feed. Here is a link to one but not where I got mine. Hated leaving behind my first one they work so well for me.
    https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...MaAmcYEALw_wcB

Banned
    The government rarely improves anything it touches.

As for the gas can dilemma, there are lots of solutions.
    On the expensive side, there's the Jerry cans from Deutsche Optik: https://deutscheoptik.com/20-liter-j...t-of-four.html
    I have a few 20 liter (about 5 gallons) and a few 5 liter cans. They are not cheap but they are about as good as they come and will last forever if you don't shoot a hole in them.

Also on the expensive side but high quality are the safety cans from Justrite : https://www.uline.com/BL_8171/Gas-Cans

On the cheaper side there are "Water spouts" available for "Water cans" that remarkably are the same size and thread pattern as the Gas can spouts? What a coincidence

And the option of using an old can is still available. I found an old 2 1/2 gallon steel can with the duel screw type caps at a second hand store. The outside needed a coat of paint but the zinc lined interior was pristine. I think the entire thing cost me $10.00 for the can, a couple of new O-rings and some spray paint.

A good way to vent the plastic cans is to drill a hole in the top of the can that will accept a tire valve stem. Fish a string through the hole and out the big opening. Pull a gutted tire stem (no Schrader valve in it) back through the new hole and seat the tire stem. The little screw on plastic cap becomes the removable vent and if you lose it, they are cheap and plentiful.

Boolit Mold
    What can you expect from the same folks that took away strike anywhere matches and incandescent light bulbs. The first time I used one of the new gas cans I had gas all over a hot lawn mower. Now I buy every steel can at yardsales I can find.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Next thing ya know, all you guys are going to be ripping the tags off of your mattresses.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have been using these http://www.nospill.com and like them better than the old steel cans. I have them in gas, and two of the 5 gallon diesel versions for the lawnmower and tractor. They work great for me! Heck, I wasn't even aware the government mandated this, I just thought, but this works great!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I have been using these http://www.nospill.com and like them better than the old steel cans. I have them in gas, and two of the 5 gallon diesel versions for the lawnmower and tractor. They work great for me! Heck, I wasn't even aware the government mandated this, I just thought, but this works great!
    I have a 1.5 and 2.5 gal. versions of these. They work ok, but can be a little awkward for some applications that the old style cans worked better on. I use the 1.5 gal. for my chainsaw fuel and it works great for that application with no overfill.

Boolit Master
    tractor supply has nozzles for some of the older cans also I get a lot off ebay. I pick up all the old style gas cans at auctions and yard sales with missing caps and spouts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Next thing ya know, all you guys are going to be ripping the tags off of your mattresses.
    Shhhhh, the mattress police might be listening.

Boolit Buddy
    yes the new style gas cans are terrible .when the wife and I use our gas points we usually take her outlander to fill up and I take a couple 5 gal cans and fill them up with whatever of our allotment wont fit in her suv . it takes about 20 min to pour 5 gal of gas from 1 of them into my f 150 . I found conversion kits for these cans at tractor supply for about 10$ a piece .

Boolit Master

Converted my new style cans when I first got them. I installed a screw in tire stem into a hole drilled in the side opposite the spout ,tossed the air valve part out. Got rid of the spring **** in the nozzle of the new style spout.

To use take cap off the air stem and pour just like the old style spouts. When done put the air stem cap back on and then the block piece under the spout made from a bleach jug cut to fit.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Spout is wayyyy to short to reach over the mower frame and fill the tank...

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'm with the mattress police. We've had reports of missing mattress tags from this address. I'm going to have to ask you to stand aside.

Let's not forget the most feared words ever uttered :

"Don't worry. I'm with the Government, and I'm here to help. What is the nature of the problem?"

Is it just me or has the price of gas cans gotten completely out of hand? The same, exact plastic 5 gallon jug that was <$5 with the old style spout that actually would let the gas out now has a completely inoperable spout that is angled so it won't actually fit any filler hole and cost >$25. Race cans are about the same price and come with a foot long 3/4" vinyl hose and a working vent. I like the 10 gallon ones for tractors and 5 gallon ones for mowers, ATVs, motorcycles. For a while I used a transmission funnel that I bent with a heat gun and sawed off the end to match the fill hole diameter to gas my Ranger. Nalgene caps will replace the dysfunctional spouts on new gas cans so you only need one "water can" replacement nozzle.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

I have a couple nato jerry cans I use mostly. Got some plastic cans that I got caps for from here...http://ezpourspout.com/

No complaints.

Boolit Grand Master
    All my gas cans are from prepping for Y2K so they work

My diesel cans are the new style and Charlie you are right....they are a total pain to use.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Spout is wayyyy to short to reach over the mower frame and fill the tank...

Yep, I can see that. My smaller one works great on the weed eater, my tiller tank is on the top, as are the fill ports on my diesel mower tanks and tractor. I would need a funnel to fill to a vehicle tank, or if the tank was more inside the frame of the equipment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    If you live in a Pink State you may not be able to get these, but gets us right back where we started. Works well as you might expect as it is low tech like the old days. BTW, thank California for these new eco-cans. We were forced to use them years ago

http://ezpourspout.com
    If they won't ship to your state order the water can ones, same thing. Rural King and Tractor Supply carry them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12