Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Good Book Recommendations

Boolit Buddy

Good Book Recommendations

Please recommend some good reading on single shots mainly with works from the custom makers such as Pope/Peterson etc. I have read the Grant books and the Waters/Roberts books. Found 1 called The Story of Popes Barrels. Anyone know if its a decent read? Thx for all suggestions

Boolit Master
    The story of Pope's Barrels is definitely a good read. You won't be sorry. Frank

The Story of Pope's Barrels is a very good read, but need to remember Ray Smith was a huge fan of Pope's, so his writings are slanted a bit. Nott that it's bad, just nothing slightly negative. Pope was pretty crotchety, and even more so with age.
    Another good read is "Major Ned Roberts and the Schuetzen Rifle" edited by Gerald Kelvar. A paperback, and very good for a reasonable price used.
    There are numerous other books that go into single shots made by the custom gun makers we consider the best in history. Some cover a particular maker like Ray Smith's book on Pope, while others cover a particular gun and any built by numerous custom makers. John Dutcher's book, "Ballard, the Great American Single Shot Rifle" covers many of the best custom makers, and well beyond their work with Ballard rifles. An excellent read, and better written and illustrated than any other single shot rifle book I own.
    I've found very little written specifically about the custom master gunsmiths and barrel makers specifically. Most of what I see added to other books is rehashed from what we generally already knew. Dutcher being the exception.

Must be amazing. Someone wants $400 for it on Amazon
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    Must be amazing. Someone wants $400 for it on Amazon
    Well it is an amazing book, but since it was only one printing the prices have gone nuts now. I sold my spare copy for $130 a year ago at the Denver show and it didn't fly off the table at that price.
    I'd love it if John did a 2nd printing and drove these prices down on all the speculators! I bought the two I had directly from John at the KC show in 2004 when he brought them direct from the printer. They were $70 ea. back then.

Boolit Master
    Amazing how high the used book market for good firearms books has grown. I shudder th even start pricing many of the old books I have. Even the Winchester Single Shot Rifles By Campbell today command high prices. Thing I paid about $50 each when they first came out. Bought a lot of my books when I was considerably younger now that I'm in the old fart club I'm suprised at the asking prices of many of them. When you think on it gun books is kinda a very small niche market and usually not with a large run when they were printed. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Amazing how high the used book market for good firearms books has grown. I shudder th even start pricing many of the old books I have. Even the Winchester Single Shot Rifles By Campbell today command high prices. Thing I paid about $50 each when they first came out. Bought a lot of my books when I was considerably younger now that I'm in the old fart club I'm suprised at the asking prices of many of them. When you think on it gun books is kinda a very small niche market and usually not with a large run when they were printed. Frank
    Campbell's volume 1 commands huge prices. But volume 2 has a tough time getting the original price! I sold a volume 2 for $30 and was glad to get it!

I have a library full of gun books, and many rarely get looked at because they are outside my area of interest. But I love having all of them, even if some see little use.

Boolit Master
    When I was considerably younger the local library had the two volume set of "The Modern Gunsmith" by Howe. At least once a month I'd get them and read them over and over. Since they were part of their reference collection you couldn't check them out. I bought the reprint and years later got a mid to late 1940's two set edition. And over the years bought firearm related books when I had the money. At today's prices couldn't afford that today. Think the first I bought was "Gunsmithing" by Dunlap. Told my two daughters that when I go sell them on ebay or one of the other auction houses after checking the average selling prices. Frank

I was told by a friend who ran the gun counter at a local sporting goods store back in the early 1970's that I should invest in gun books before investing in guns. I thought he was foolish then, as I wondered why anyone would waste gun money on gun books. But I began buying used gun books at various gun shows cheap, and later mostly new books as they came available.
    His advice was spot on, and has saved me thousands of dollars in mistakes I'd have made if I hadn't owned and read those books. I still tell younger collectors the same thing. Money spent on good gun books is money that will save them thousands in possible mistakes later.
    With the internet today it's easier to find answers. But books are still better as I can quickly research some question, and faster than dredging through tons of myths and misinformation found on many internet forums and sites.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    The Story of Pope's Barrels is a very good read, but need to remember Ray Smith was a huge fan of Pope's, so his writings are slanted a bit. Nott that it's bad, just nothing slightly negative. Pope was pretty crotchety, and even more so with age.
    Another good read is "Major Ned Roberts and the Schuetzen Rifle" edited by Gerald Kelvar. A paperback, and very good for a reasonable price used.
    There are numerous other books that go into single shots made by the custom gun makers we consider the best in history. Some cover a particular maker like Ray Smith's book on Pope, while others cover a particular gun and any built by numerous custom makers. John Dutcher's book, "Ballard, the Great American Single Shot Rifle" covers many of the best custom makers, and well beyond their work with Ballard rifles. An excellent read, and better written and illustrated than any other single shot rifle book I own.
    I've found very little written specifically about the custom master gunsmiths and barrel makers specifically. Most of what I see added to other books is rehashed from what we generally already knew. Dutcher being the exception.
    Thanks for these suggestions. I have seen the Dutcher book but the price scared me away. I am watching an auction that has the Roberts book, I havent seen that one. Thanks again.

Boolit Bub
    When searching for gun books, or any book for that matter, I've found that it's best to use a bookseller's service such as AbeBooks or Alibris. These are listings of books for sale by booksellers throughout the world.The prices you'll find are often MUCH better than Amazon.
    Hope this helps.
    Rick

I've had good luck with Amazon myself, but I don't use them until I double check the prices. I found my copy of Rowe's Hepburn book there for $80 and free shipping when everyone wanted $110 or more for it, plus shipping. Shipping often makes Amazon's prices better.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Thanks for these suggestions. I have seen the Dutcher book but the price scared me away. I am watching an auction that has the Roberts book, I havent seen that one. Thanks again.
    Don't pay too much! It's $15 used for the hard cover on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Major-Ned-Rob...chuetzen+rifle

And here's another good book I forgot about until I browsed through my library. "The Breech-Loading Single-Shot Rifle" also by Ned Roberts. It's a very good read, but quite a bit more money at around $55-$60 for paperback. But still well worth it!

https://www.amazon.com/Breech-Loadin...gle+shot+rifle

Boolit Master

I'm beginning to think that the lunch times I spent perusing the book sites was not wasted. Practically all the gun books in my library are hardback and I paid a lot less back then than the prices I see now. Hope the son's don't dump them in the trash when they clean out my shop.

I second the recommendation that the book sites such as Abebooks, Alibris, Bookfinder and many others be checked if you are into books. Many times a book will show up from a seller that is not into gun related books and doesn't have any idea of value. A case in point, Elmer Keith's Gun Notes, Vol 1 & 2 slipcased set was purchased for well under $100. I've seen one volume paperback for almost that much. I doubt it sold, at least I wouldn't consider it.
    John
    W.TN