Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Applying Gas Check

Applying Gas Check

Am new to using gas checks - have the following questions- 1)when do you put them on when using Lee resizer 2)can they be put on with Lyman 4500 without having the die for particular size bullet - any help and suggestions will be a great help

I put mine one when I first size with the lee. Don't know about the Lyman.

Boolit Master
    I have used a lee sizing die to crimp on the gas checks before using the pan lube method , or dipping them - then I use a cake cutter . To get the gas check crimped on good it is best to use the proper sizing die .

Boolit Master
    What you want to happen is for the boolit base to be flush with the bottom of the gas check by the time the check enters the sizing area of the size die. If you are lucky and have the right sort of fit (loose fit is good) you set the check and boolit on top of the lee size ram and raise this stack into the size die and the check will be forced into place by the time it enters the size portion of the die. The lee size die has a nice taper entry which facilitates this. And unless the boolit base is waay too small the check will now be tightly held after the trip through the sizer

If you are unlucky and the boolit base is too fat for this easy entry plan you will end up with gas checks not seated level after the trip through the size die. So in this case you need to get the check flush fit to the boolit base before going through the Lee sizing die. And here you may well get good use out of that Lyman 4500 for pressing the boolit base into the check.

And if that doesn't work because the boolit base is just too dang fat (I have a couple like this) you may have to suck it up and do something to flare the gas check a bit. I have used a ball bearing for this, and reading on this forum you will find other, probably nicer, ways of doing this.

Boolit Master

I used a light tap on the bullets nose with a rubber mallet to flush them up and seat them before suzing. Sizing crimps them on.

You can use a lubrisizer but you need the right sizer die for your gun installed. Lyman makes a gas check seater tool thar insallas under the ejecter ram to. Its makes it a breaze to seat a gas check. NoE also makes a gas check seater die, it works but takes some practice. NoE also makes a gas check expanders. I end up having to expand gas checks when installing them on PCed bullets.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I use the NOE gas check seater.

Boolit Master
    The easiest by far is a proper lube/sizer which will seat check, crimp, and lube bullet all at once.

Boolit Buddy
    NOE make a nice gas check installer. I have it setup on a small press next to the sizing press.