Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 39A

Boolit Mold

Marlin 39A

I've owned three of these over the years--stupidly let them get away for one reason or another. My LGS--the proprietor of which has a rack of used guns at mostly outrageously high prices--I think to keep the rack filled (it makes his small ship look better) had this 20" barreled Mountie on the rack for only a day or two when I spotted it. Surprise! A fair price--$400! I jumped all over it. There were a couple of spots of rust that cleaned up pretty well--the stock was pristine, and all in all, I think it was a gun that dated back to the 70's or 80's, hadn't been shot much and had been neglected a bit. I'm tickled to have found it. It now sports a Weaver 4X in Weaver mounts and shoots great with the right ammo. So far, German made Geco does the best.

Banned
    You wanna sell it?

Ha!

Just kidding. Nice score, I have always wanted one of those.

Welcome from Kentucky. Congratulations, that is a good find. I've not owned one myself, but I have a friend that has a mountie. Its was loaned to me on occasion and it was pretty sweet.

Banned
    You did well.

The Marlin 39A is a great .22 lever action.

Boolit Bub
    I ran into a similar situation a few years ago. Grabbed a little used '69 Mountie. When I tested it for accuracy against my '63 vintage 39A, the Mountie did significantly better. That resulted in getting my old 39A rebarreled, fortunately before Marlin got shut down in Conn. Now both are equal.

The Marlin 39 A was the first new gun I bought myself when I was a teen. It's taken hundreds of squirrels and is still my most accurate rimfire rifle. I would love to find a strait stocked Mountie for what you paid, I would grab it quick ! The last gun show I was at there were a few of them and most were priced around $ 700 and I don't even stop to look at them.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master
    Good snag at a good price. My 39a rifle used to put my centerfire rifles to shame, how tiny the groups were. Talking dime sized groups at 100yds.

Moderator Emeritus

You fellows motivated me ! Twenty-some years back a local hardware store elected to cease carrying firearms, and the 39A I had been drooling over's price -- albeit still high -- became justifiably affordable . It is the Marlin Model 39a Golden 22, and it sports a Leupold FX-1 4X 'scope. The serial number indicates it was made in 1985 -- wow! - 33 years ago. Tomorrow promises a warm enough day to shoot (high 40*s) -- and I surely hope to put a few boxes of ammo through it. Great find for you, 38splpete, and thanks to motivate me to remove a few rifles from my safe, to retrieve this one!

Boolit Master

I've always wanted one, seen insane prices on them. Last year Labor Day weekend at the Lima coon dog trials and gun show swap meet a guy had 6 or 8 of them most like new a few with boxes and papers,$700-800, the next table over had one in decent condition $1400???? Don't know what made him so proud of it.

Boolit Master
    I bought this little gem many years ago at a gun how for $125. It was not my first. I bought a new one in the 1950s for fifty bucks. Sold it to my brother. I later bought a Lyman rear sight for $15. I had never seen one like it before, or since. I think they go well together. I had a chance to buy a 39A commemorative once with an octagon barrel for $90 but I passed. I hated that brass medallion stuck on the receiver. One of my many regrets. If I had this rifle when I was a boy, I don't think they could have kept me out of the woods long enough to got o school.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 03-31-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Mold
    Just some additional info on my three previous 39A's. The first was purchased in 1965 at the Navy Exchange in Yokosuka, Japan. Can't remember what I paid but it must have been around a hundred bucks. I do remember paying an extra $7 to have it fully checkered (by their in-house guy). The second I bought at at a gun show brand new around 1985--paid $185 as I recall. The third was maybe five years ago at another gun show--it was cheap at $300 but had problems--needed a new firing pin and butt plate. I replaced those items but couldn't get the gun to group better than 1 1/2 in. at 50 yards so I sold it. Probably I didn't try enough different ammo brands and grades--although I did test it with about a dozen.

Boolit Master
    Gopher Slayer, I happen to have be like that too. Have a Weaver K2.5 micro-trac on it. Todd/3leg

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad has one and he always used as his squirrel rifle. It was always a tack driver.

Boolit Master
    They are beautiful. I’ve collected for years. I never thought they would be discontinued, and Marlin would be gone. I cherish my collection.

My first rifle was a 1897 Marlin that my old man bought me for my 5th birthday back in 55. When
    my kids got old enough to shoot they always wanted to shoot the "Cowboy Gun". So because of
    my worries about the 97 getting dropped, ect. I bought a 39 from a distributor who was turning
    over the display guns. That was around 77. That's the only one I bought new although I had many
    used ones. It's in near mint shape, my kids ended up liking to shoot a Nylon 66 because it was
    light. It's hard to believe the price on 66s today, they were a bottom rung plinker when they were
    being made.

Boolit Buddy
    My mother gave my dad a Marlin 39A as an engagement present. She then gave him a Colt Woodsman for a wedding gift. Cool gal, my mother is. She drove an MG TC when they were courting, which she bought from an air force officer returning from posting in England in the early 50s.

I got both the guns, but not the car.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I bought an old 39A for almost nothing, way back when,cleaned it up a bit, and sold it to one of my family. Then later in life, I bought another 39A, this time the price tag was almost $400!!! factory scope, Golden model, and just lucked up on killer wood from the factory. It shoots spectacular with almost any ammo,(at least my definition of spectacular), so I guess ill keep it.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

The best 22 lever-action ever made. Bar none. I had a little straight grip mountie in the early 80s and the only reason I sold it was because I almost doubled my money on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I had one I bought 10 years ago from my step father and used it quite a bit for about 3 years, then it sat in the safe. My very liberal non gun owning son moved from the city to a farm in a pretty remote location last summer and mentioned that he should "probably have a gun" so I gifted the 39A to him. It's a start!
    Maineboy

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I have owned a 1954 39a for two months and really like it.
    The take down feature is really a convenient cleaning feature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast