Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steam pan as ingot mold?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug480 View Post
    The mini loaf pan looks great! I tried going Uber cheap with muffin tins at the dollar store. Either had to hammer them out or worped after inverting the pan.
    I started with 88 cent Wal-Mart muffin tins, had to peel them out like a tuna can. Had some graphite spray from Lowe's that said it was good to 850 degrees. Sprayed the next one and they dropped like rain! Did 500 of them before I switched to the mini loaf pan.

Boolit Bub
    If you cast one potfull at a time and they fit well in,use them.For my part,I like to cast a long time and add some as the pot gets below 60% to 70% of its capacity so as to have as little temp variation as possible.To me,''muffin''ingots are perfect(aprox 2# ea.)since,when pre-heated on the top of my casting pot they don't drop temp too much.I use a 20# RCBS and a 40# Master Caster and I'm afraid that a 5#ingot would freeze the lead.On the other hand,if you like to cast only one potfull at a time,they are good for the job.

Boolit Master
    I tried those 88 cent Walmart pans and had the same sticking problem. I basically destroyed the pans what with melting out the ingots and then trying various ways of rusting what was left. Wish I'd seen the idea about the graphite spray.

I have the mini loaf pans for ready to cast alloy and they work great (though slow to preheat at three pounds plus for each). I still want the larger ingots for bulk storage of component metals prior to batch production of casting alloy, ala rogerdat.

Maybe I'll look up that graphite spray for regular loaf pans, but now I'm tempted to hit the restaurant supply store close by. They have exactly the same stainless steel pans in the OP; I know because I was tempted to try them. Three full ladles from my Rowell will give a 9 to 10 pound ingot. One to one and a half might be thin enough to fit in my 20# pot (but the mini loaf ingots already do so I might skip trying that).
    Last edited by kevin c; 04-29-2018 at 04:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I tried those 88 cent Walmart pans and had the same sticking problem. I basically destroyed the pans what with melting out the ingots and then trying various ways of rusting what was left. Wish I'd seen the idea about the graphite spray.

I have the mini loaf pans for ready to cast alloy and they work great (though slow to preheat at three pounds plus for each). I still want the larger ingots for bulk storage of component metals prior to batch production of casting alloy, ala rogerdat.

Maybe I'll look up that graphite spray for regular loaf pans, but now I'm tempted to hit the restaurant supply store close by. They have exactly the same stainless steel pans in the OP; I know because I was tempted to try them. Three full ladles from my Rowell will give a 9 to 10 pound ingot. One to one and a half might be thin enough to fit in my 20# pot (but the mini loaf ingots already do so I might skip trying that).
    Found the graphite spray at Lowe's, but Home Depot also shows it on their website, made by Blaster.
    http://blastercorp.com/mobile/Graphi...Lubricant.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123