Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Zeroing in on the "Standard" Load

Banned

Zeroing in on the "Standard" Load

After using a RCBS 2 cavity mold to cast my 38 Special SWC bullets, I finally couldn't stand it anymore and went to a 4 cavity mold. Because RCBS doesn't make a 4 cavity mold, that change meant going to another mold manufacturer. (RCBS, are you paying attention ?)

I wanted a 4 cavity, plain base, SWC in the 160 grain range and I wanted it in an iron mold. The SAECO #382 was the winner and I'm very happy with it.
    Attachment 220680
    Attachment 220681

Since I was making changes to my "standard" 38 Special SWC load, I decided it was time to incorporate several changes at once.

I purchased another tool head and stand for my Dillon 550. I set it up with a dedicated powder measure and Redding dies for the 38 Special SWC load. This eliminated the need to adjust the seating die and powder measure when going from a WC to a SWC.
    Attachment 220682

The final new piece of gear was a custom powder funnel by Lathesmith made to my specifications and matched to my SAECO #382 bullet.
    Attachment 220683
    Attachment 220684

This custom powder funnel has the Lyman "M" die type step and the dimensions are far better suited for cast bullets than the factory Dillon powder funnel.

A HUGE endorsement here for Lathesmith ! That custom powder funnel is a game changer. It expands the casing a bit more so that the brass doesn't swage the bullet down when seated but it still provides the perfect amount of neck tension. The "M" style step is the icing on the cake.

I tweaked the load a little bit and ended up re-inventing the wheel I found that 3.5 grains of Bullseye was the best charge weight, go figure

So, in my never ending quest for simplified logistics, I ended up with:
    A 160ish grain SWC with a plain base and a squared grease groove (very Keith like)
    Sized to .358" with NRA 50/50 lube from White Label*
    3.5 grains of Bullseye (some things are just meant to be)

Thanks to all that shared their knowledge.

* if you are looking for bullet lube, look no further than White Label ! They are outstanding people to deal with and they sell a quality product.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 05-19-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Boolit Master

I'm really liking the look of that custom powder funnel. You've got me pondering.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I'm really liking the look of that custom powder funnel. You've got me pondering.....
    Yes, that is very nice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Lathesmith made it and did a fantastic job. I'm thinking about getting a second one for another dedicated toolhead.

The powder funnel is a combination of a Lyman "M" die profile and a Dillon powder through funnel with a little greater length and diameter making it cast bullet friendly.

If you're loading 38 Special cast bullets on a Dillon 550 - it is a game changer !

Sounds like you found your perfect setup. That machine should work for a long time for you.
    That 3.5 grain Bullseye load has been a standard for a long time for good reason. I use it in the majority of my loads.
    When I go for full power, I switch to CFE Pistol which ironically uses the same powder bushing for my load as 3.5 of Bullseye does. I just get a few extra fps out of it that way.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    I got a good deal on a bunch of Bullseye recently, just as my stash of Red Dot was starting to run low. So I experimented with different amounts of Bullseye. Guess what gave me the best results with a 150-ish grain bullet? You guessed it: 3.5 grains Bullseye. Maybe the old guys used to know something back in the day!

Banned
    Yep, I danced all around it and still landed on the classic 3.5 grains. I was actually a bit chagrined when I landed on that charge weight.

My bullets run about 159-161 grains depending on alloy and lube.

Banned
    UPDATE - Now that I'm sizing the brass to the proper dimensions for cast bullets I decided to use some bullets sized to .357", which is closer to the dimensions for the throats on some of my guns. Those SAECO # 382 bullets sized to .357" (I opened the die up slightly so that it is close to .3575" ) are a perfect fit for the throats on a few of my Ruger Six series models. The casings are not sizing those bullets down so I'm confident they are exiting the cylinders at .3570" - .3575". I'm still getting enough neck tension to hold the bullets and using a roll crimp to be sure they stay put.

They worked beautifully ! No leading and accurate.
    I may check a few more guns and start sizing all of my 38 Special bullets to .357". I was using a .358" sizing die for all of my 38 Specials but I think .357" is closer to where I need to be.

Moving in the right direction.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 05-29-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Boolit Master

I have been using the Saeco #382 for about 40 years with over 100K shot from over 15 different 38 / 357 caliber handguns, SS pistol and rifles with excellent accuracy from 750 fps on up to max loads.
    For light loads in 38 special try 3.0 gr BE or TG , in 357 try 4.0 to 4.5 gr BE or TG, 4.0 shoots well with every 357 weight bullet ive tried from 148 to 200 grn and in many guns

Banned
    bobthenailer - that's good to hear!
    I don't have 100K rounds fired with the Saeco #382 but so far it has proven to be an excellent bullet.