RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 45acp, 230g RN coated, need a recomendation

Boolit Buddy

45acp, 230g RN coated, need a recomendation

New to the 45acp. Send me off in the right direction.

Im loading with ACME 230g RN coated.

What are you using for OAL, and what is your favorite powder.

I tried 4g bullseye at a OAL of 1.272. That didn't work. Way too dirty. Cycled fine until the chamber got a build up then the rounds would not plunk.

I like 700x for my target loads, much cleaner than bullseye

Boolit Buddy
    I have some 700, I will try it

Boolit Master

4.5 grs. of Red Dot with a Lee TL452-230 with Lee Alox does wonders in my RIA .45.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

231 has always been my go to for my hardball plinking loads.

Boolit Master
    4.0 is a pretty light load of Bullseye and 1.272 is a pretty long OAL. I've shot a 100's of rounds between cleaning using 4.3 grains Bullseye and similar bullets with a slightly shorter OAL.

There are dozens of powders that will work in 45 ACP but Bullseye is probably one of the most popular if not the most popular. 45 ACP is a low pressure round to begin with and 4.0 grains is probably closer to 10,000 PSI than the SAAMI max around 20,000 PSI. At that pressure any powder is going to be dirty.

I second that on Win.231 I have been using that for about 20 years now works just fine for me D Crockett

Boolit Master
    Another user of W-231 or HP-38 they are the same powder.

Banned
    RedDot 4.1grn 230 grn 0.452
    Autocomp 6grn 230 grn 0.452

Vendor Sponsor

231 here too!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Tight group 4-4.8 gr. under a 230 gr. RN lead bullet 1.265" OAL. burns clean and 4.8 gr. equals hard ball
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

5 to 5.5gr of 231 is hard to beat with that combination seated just deep enough to plunk and cycle.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    4.5 Bullseye
    5.1 231
    4.0 Clays
    OAL 1.25

These are all under full power hardball, but run every gun I've tried them in very well. They're easier on the guns and easier on shooters' wrists and elbows.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

5.0g Bullseye has been the standard 230g hardball load forever. Even when I tested those rounds, I would still get soot all over the place, burning particles landing on my arm and all around "filth" (in modern powder terms). Not a problem if you are a GI in close combat clearing house to house in WW2 or a VC cave in the 60's but there are better powders today for target shooters.

Try BE-86. It's a tiny bit slower than Unique without the soot and a tiny bit faster than Power Pistol without the muzzle blast and flash and far cleaner than Bullseye. You could also try Clays technology Hodgdon powders like Universal or International, but beware that load data is now erratic now that Hodgdon moved the manufacturing from Australia to Canada.

If you need to burn up the Bullseye, bump the charge up considerably above 4.0g to at least 4.5 or 4.7g. It will still be sooty but there may be enough reduction to get you through a shooting session without jamming.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone, gonna try a couple of these loads

Sorry to revive a month old thread...
    Lee TL452-230 PC
    6gr CFE Pistol (What I had at the time onhand)
    WLP primer

easy shooting (can go to 6.2+gr) @ 780fps .... very accurate!