Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Lee collet neck sizer

Boolit Master

Lee collet neck sizer

Got this in .308 but discovered it will work with 30-30 too. The 30-30 has a longer neck so it leaves about 1/8" fire formed near the shoulder. Used in conjunction with NOE's neck expander it works really well. Was shooting mild loads with 11 bhn 165 over 7.5 Unique. If I were working with hotter loads I would probably want the whole neck sized.

Boolit Master
    Thanks this could give us a few more options , yesterday I loaded a 100 rounds of 30-30 Winchester but I hate to full length the brass every time I load them wile I at times back the sizing die off a bit , this could be a option . By the way has anyone tried the lee collet die on a progressive press ( moving shellplate ) ? And the noe neck expander insert is nice ! I guess as soon as I empty my brass I can try it hehehe . Good to know .

Any notice of increased accuracy with the un-resized part of the neck? Might make for better case alignment to the bore.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Partial neck sizing has been done since bullets were first put into brass cases and yes, in some instances this does improve accuracy. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    Any notice of increased accuracy with the un-resized part of the neck? Might make for better case alignment to the bore.
    Was thinking that myself - shot this group yesterday; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...le-nice-groups

Boolit Master

I use the Lee collet die for my 30-30 in a turret press by turning the turret just like a pistol cartridge. My turret (Lyman spar T) is set up with collet die first,next "M" die and prime(Lyman auto prime),next turret mounted Redding powder measure, and finally bullet seat die. I bought the collet die so I wouldn't have to lube cases. Loading cast loads in the 1500-1600fps range I get many reloads before FL resizing is needed.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Yep, eliminating fl sizing makes things go fast n smooth. Would lend itself to a progressive operation nicely. I don't shoot it up fast enough to need it anymore though.

Boolit Master
    I was running it through my mind yesterday - wile loading out of a reloading block on a single stage press . You all understand after depriming I had to wipe off the case lube with a shop rag . I considered tossing them in the tumbler but I was in a hurry so I wiped them off , than did the primer pocket , than a touch to clean any burrs on the necks , I ran them through a lee flaring die with the noe expander die , dropping the charge of unique with a double shot out of a little dandy powder measure . Wow all that wile looking at a progressive press on the beach . I think I need a new shellplate and a collet die . Hahaha

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I have a 270 Lee Collet neck die that I paid triple the Lee honing fee to get the mandrel all the way down to 0.262 for 6.5-06, but leave the top 1/4" alone to fit the collar.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've modified them to do many calibers.
    Mix and match. Machine a little off the bottom. Machine mandrels to different sizes.
    Easy to do, and they work great.

Boolit Master
    You would expect a collet to be made of hard springy steel,not a Lee collet......its very soft,and cuts easily with a file.