Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hum 45-70 vs the 450 Bushmaster (modern day)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Yes I have. Even before they gave tours. It is sad. I do not care what anyone has to say ITS NYS fault they had to keep laying off workers and well are in the boat they are in. SAFE ACT screwed with them to much. There is a great museum in the front part of the building. I have not gone in a number of years. I wonder if they are still giving tours? If I am out that way this year I will stop in and see. I do believe most of the plant has moved to Huntsville. The entire town and surrounding area was built by Remington. When the doors close its going to crush the area.
    Spot on.
    Fredo cuomo trying to drive anyone who disagrees with him out of the state.

Boolit Master
    Another downside to the 450 BM, it is not designed for bullets 300 gr and up.
    So only count it as a "pro" to the 450 BM if you already have a 45 acp/colt mold
    if you are satisfied with shooting pistol weight bullets.

and the BC of a 250 gr. .451 bullet is indeed poor.

in 45-70, a 400 gr @ 1300 is more of a push, and it's a bit lees of a push than slugs out of a shotgun.

Current Marlin (Remlin) production is good. I saw a very nice one in a local shop the other day.
    When buying any gun, new, used, from Remington or a manufacture that "never makes mistakes",
    you have the eyeball the gun inside and out well before buying.
    There are lemons out there.

a few years ago I saw a S&W 625 which was about to cause me to pull my wallet out
    and then I looked in the bore and the rifling was missing the entire length on one side of the barrel.
    it happens, just look for it.

Boolit Master
    I have come across an interesting find. While looking at different sights for a new 45-70 Remlin. I found that some are making a 45-70 mag called the 457 Mag that chambers both 45-70 and 457 mag. It looks like it is running the same price as a stock Remlin.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Yeah I remember reading about it. it is a little longer in length than the 45-70, but essentially the same. The longer length would allow for a little more propellant capacity. But one can handload 45-70 rounds to be about the same in performance. The larger capacity would likely help reduce chamber pressure in the 457 WW Magnum. Thus making it a little more safe for higher performance loads over the 45-70. Star Line now makes brass for it too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 04-02-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo correction

Boolit Master
    45/70 I've loaded bullet weights from 250 gr wadcutter to 525 gr Rn and in the rifles I have 2 single shots with 28 and 34 inch barrel loads of fun even with loads approaching 458 mag.

Boolit Master
    Gun shops in my area are just messed up. I stopped by a small shop and was going to have him send his FFL out. He tells me he has the same gun on the wall. I grab the 1895 GBL (used). Looked at the price 500. I asked him to check how much he can get a new one for. He tells me 535 plus tax. I pull up the one I was going to order for 499 new. I ask him if he can do any better on the used one as it has a few scratches and well it not new. Will not more a dollar. So for used he wants 540 including tax used 577. Or I order it and pay 520 after FFL fees. Then he tells me I only give 300 for it. Try as I did I could not come home with that gun. Am I off here?

Boolit Master
    Local shops generally sell for more. I am in sales have been for more than 30 years and still am one of the most successful technical sales guys on our team. I am not saying this to be a bragger but a little thing about sales; 80% of the sales come from 20% of the salesman. In other words some folks can sell some cannot. If that had been me and you were in the hook the way you described I would have sweetened the pot with an accessory or box of ammo he had room to do that. But just staying tight he lost the sale. On the other hand margins in the gun business are low on new guns but used you can make up some ground. Look at overhead and ask yourself if the guy was not there and out of business would it impact you in any way? I fully support my local gun shop / hardware store buy 16 or more guns per year. We have long standing deal and it works out fantastic. I push others to buy there. So the answer is yes and no. I do not "beat down" small gun shops but expect them to at least give some and show they want to do business with me. It's called salesmanship some are good others are not.

Boolit Master
    I have know the owner and his three X wives well. They come sit at my tables at gun shows. I tried the, toss in a box of ammo thing and got the, "Do you know how hard it is to come by that stuff?" I do not get it. If he orders me a new one he is making around 90 bucks. If I just buy one some place else he makes 20 bucks transfer. If he sold me that used one for 450-475 he would of made 150-175 dollars.

No one was trying to beat him up. I stopped in just to ask how much he could get it for and if it was to high have him fax out his FFL. It just took a turn. Not a big deal.

Boolit Master
    Like I said not everyone is good at sales......

Well 3 X wives he needs the cash maybe....

If I am buying a used gun, I go to my LGS because I can Dicker with him on used guns. Brand new guns I will order from Buds and have them delivered to a gun store in town that does $20 transfers. My local guy will not do transfers, but out of respect I do not ask him to either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Some (few) gunshops are run by truly nice guys, or at least reasonable guys.
    Then there are gunshops run by cusses.
    Some of them refuse to accept the basic laws of economics even when it means more money in their pocket.
    Their ego gets inflated when they think "I run a gunshop!".

I don't even try to explain it to them anymore.
    Just like trying to teach a pig to sing.
    You don't get anywhere and it annoys the pig.

So, very simple, I go somewhere else.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Some (few) gunshops are run by truly nice guys, or at least reasonable guys.
    Then there are gunshops run by cusses.
    Some of them refuse to accept the basic laws of economics even when it means more money in their pocket.
    Their ego gets inflated when they think "I run a gunshop!".

I don't even try to explain it to them anymore.
    Just like trying to teach a pig to sing.
    You don't get anywhere and it annoys the pig.

So, very simple, I go somewhere else.
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123