RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a 10mm but don’t have any bears

Boolit Master

I want a 10mm but don’t have any bears

I’m completly happy with my 40s. I have NOE 403165 running at 1140 fps out of my 5 inch Springfield. Gets 1050 out of my P229. The Sig did an 11 inch 5 shot group at 100 yds with that load. Very happy. But, my mind keeps drifting to 10mm.

I’m never shot one...yet. But looking at my reloading manuals, I don’t see much gain to be had. Going from 38 Spl to 357; it’s all about getting twice as much pressure. From 40 to 10, based on SAAMI, 2500 psi difference. That means not a discernible difference when you’re at 35,000 psi.

Of course 40 brass cost somewhere between free and cheap. 10 brass will cost money.

What would I use a 10mm for? I’m guessing not much after getting loads worked up and exploring the caliber a little. Here outside of Austin, we don’t have any bears. We do have bares. But they pretty much keep to themselves in Hippy Hollow so they’re not a problem. Me being a redneck, they’re as scared of me as I am of them.

So what would another 0.145” case length do for me? Anyone tried a 10 and thought it was not worth the effort?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    I have three 10's. I like them. Two Glocks a M20 and M29 and a Ruger 10. There are loads out there Underwood and Buffalo Bore that is much better than the anemic 10's from the vast majority of the ammo companies load.
    I guess my Glock M20 is my favorite between the three but carry the M29.
    I had not shot a 10 before the Glock. Didnt know anything about the 10. Now I know something about the 10 and I really like them, alot.
    So far as far as the mainstream ammo I like the Hornady 180 grain XTP factory ammo. It shoots well in the M20 and I mean well.
    Have shot my handloads with the 200 grain XTP at 100 yards offhand and shot pretty decent with it.
    tnoutdoors9 has done some youtube videos of the 10MM and with the Hornady FL 180 gr got 1150 from a Glock M20 and with Underwood ammo using the 200 gr XTP the M20 ran around 1250 fps.
    I like the 1OMM.

Never shot a 10mm either. But the fact that HiPoint is coming out with a 10mm carbine is intriguing.....

Moderator Emeritus

That kind of thinking is not good for you. Need to stop that now. I do have bears. Got a picture last year of Momma and three cubs not far from my house. Been thinking about a 10mm myself quite a lot - with a carbine to match of course

Boolit Buddy
    I carry a 10mm compact from EAA for varmits. I get about 200 fps faster than the 40.

Boolit Buddy
    I did order a 40 once, a Sigsauer 1911, after waiting almost two years I got my cash back. Got a Kimber Custom TLE RLII instead. Love it, but now I want the Sig TACOPS in 10mm. Go ahead, I bet you'll like it. And if you don't have any Bears, you can always draw a couple on the target before you start shooting.

Boolit Master
    Haha, as soon as read ‘Hippie Hollow” I knew you were in Austin!

Can’t help ya with your decision, If I based my gun purchases on need rather than want I would have 95% fewer guns.

But I do love the 10mm, I have a dozen of them, and no bears or bares.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Shoot hogs with it.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

since i've only had a glock 20 for couple months my opinion worth close to 2 cents.

i did not had the ''fixx''' for it because i'm a 40 S&W lover in and out ; hot 40's loads gets me enough rewards ,then never found the 10mm adding much to the fun factor so sold it.

now, a colt delta in 10mm would cause me some reflexion time .very nice pistol .

of course if your place is regularly surrounded by big bear buggers and you don't want a hi powered revolver, well a semi auto in 10 is a very valid option.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 ; Caspian 1911 I built from scratch and an S&W 610.
    Have a MiHec mould that throws a 180g HP and 200g solid. I have gotten 1300 f/s with Blue Dot and the 180. That's a thumper in my book.
    Do you NEED one ? Prob not. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have one (or more).

I certainly don't NEED another one, but I have my eye on a 10mm upper for my AR (already have a 45acp upper - what a hoot !)
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

its a good cartridge, however if you dont really have a use, and your not gonna load it hot its just an expensive 40.

Boolit Master
    While it is an expensive caliber in relative term if you have a 40 S&W it is still no 10 as far as power.
    If we had only what we needed most of us would have much less than what we have.

Boolit Master
    Ahh,,, Hippy Hollow,,, I too know the place,,, as I was stationed at Ft. Hood & traveled around a bit.

As for a 10mm.
    First, let me say you need to see a doctor. Trying to justify another gun by asking questions & wondering why,,, well,,,, gee whiz,, do we NEED a reason to buy another gun? NO,,,!!!!!! No go see a doctor & get cured. Or,,,just go out & buy some ammo in a caliber you do not already have a gun for & you will be cured, as you buy the gun to match!

Ok, ok, ok,,, all joking aside.
    I got into USPSA about 20 years ago. And at that time, I was thinking on a gun build for competition. The size of the 10mm offered the best of both worlds in a 1911 frame. Smaller in caliber than the 45, and long enough cases to feed properly. All the 40 S&W mags have a spacer to place the ammo in a proper position to feed properly in the 1911 frames. So, I bought some of the stuff,,, and yet,,, the build never happened. But,, a 40 S&W build did happen. Why? the stuff for that kinda fell in my lap & cheaply. And, as you have noted.,,, brass is cheap to free.
    But, along came a Ruger Buckeye in 38-40 & 10mm. Hmmmmmm! Finally a gun to use that big stash of brass I had bought so long ago. And,,, since I had the brass, and plenty of bullets,, a few 40 cal molds,,, I decided to enjoy it some. Then along came the Ruger 1911 in 10mm. Woops! I had to have one. And, it has not disappointed me. I can download it for competition, or I can ramp it up a bit for banging the plates at 100 yds. So, when Ruger offered the new Blackhawk in 40 S&W/10mm. I had to add another one.
    Practical use? Only you know your uses, and desires. I have bears,,, but I don't worry about them. And I do have plenty of bigger calibers to deal with them if necessary.
    But,,, the simple answer will only be found in YOUR heart, allowed by YOUR desires, and enabled by YOUR pocketbook.
    Me? I just enjoy mine,,, and they are fun to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

If you don’t think it’s gonna tickle your fancy, it probably won’t. Rent one at a range and if it’s the bees knees, well, get one. If you’re like warm, look somewhere else to get your fix.

I love the 10mm. Of course my favorite love is the 41 Mag so that may explain some of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Read the first part-I want a 10mm - now act accordingly.

Boolit Master
    I've had my BH 10/40 for about a month. Absolutely fantastic. I have always said, you never know when you might run into a bear.

Boolit Master

My Glock 20 has largely been a dust collector since I've seen the penetration that can be had out of cast in standard velocity .45 Auto. For trajectory-related concerns, I use rifles. For extra oomph, revolvers.

Edit. All that said, I like it considerably more than the .40 Swindle and Whitewash.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    You got feral hogs tho, and they run in groups of 10 or more. Some get big! Sounds like that’s reason enough to get a 10mm... Todd/3leg

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    While it is an expensive caliber in relative term if you have a 40 S&W it is still no 10 as far as power.
    If we had only what we needed most of us would have much less than what we have.
    i kinda agree with that, like i always say, need has nothing to do with it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Loaded to it's potential, it's a major league stopper. Don't have a 40 S&W. Do have a 10mm. Have found it doable under tense situations and not hard for me to stay on target, with multiple shots, when various other muscles want pull me off target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast