Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Luber question

Boolit Bub

Luber question

Hello, I have always pan lubed and so I have never used a Luber, however I am considering getting one. I saw a product online call day pocket Lubber, perhaps I'm not understanding the concept of how it puts the lube on the bullet. To me it seems like a piece of metal with a circle drilled in it of the appropriate diameter and somehow it pushes the lube into the groove?
    That aside has anyone made a homemade Luber that would perhaps be easier than using the pan method? I'm trying to stay as cost-efficient as possible but still save a little bit of time versus the pan method, I do have a Lee Sizer which I will be using to put the gas checks on to them, is there a way I could incorporate a method of lubing the bullet while I do that, perhaps pushing it through a piece of lube?. Thank you for your time

Boolit Buddy
    Would powder coat work for your application?

Super Moderator

I think I've seen those "pocket lubers", and I believe that the ones I saw were intended for lubing large black powder conicals. I think that it would be a rather tedious method of lubing. I have pushed finger lubed boolits through a Lee push through sizer before. It's a messy affair, but it will work. I really don't think either of these methods you mention is going to save you time over pan lubing though...

Boolit Bub
    Powder coat work for 44 mag lever gun?

Moderator Emeritus

PatMarlin (a vendor here) sells a small pocket lube tool, just google "POCKETLuberBP" it'll be the first result.
    His website says the only sizes in stock are .431 and .460, you don't mention what application you need?

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I think I've seen those "pocket lubers", and I believe that the ones I saw were intended for lubing large black powder conicals. I think that it would be a rather tedious method of lubing. I have pushed finger lubed boolits through a Lee push through sizer before. It's a messy affair, but it will work. I really don't think either of these methods you mention is going to save you time over pan lubing though...
    Some Lubes are more conducive to finger lubing. The SL68B lube that I use, is one such lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by guntechholsters View Post
    Powder coat work for 44 mag lever gun?
    Yes. PC works very well in mine

Banner Sponsor

Looks like there is only 45 rifle and 44 calibers left, so it might be a good idea to jump on it while you can.
    Looks like a pretty cool tool.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket-luber.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	217278

https://www.patmarlins.com/product/pocketluberbp/

Boolit Grand Master

Guntech,
    one of the best things I ever did was buy a lube-sizer, a Lyman 450 but this was pre high-tech coatings days, I had gone the pan lube , tumble and dip methods and they all were tedious and the bullets still need to be sized.
    A lube-sizer does this...with one cycle of the handle , down then up, the gas check gets seated (if needed) the boolit gets sized and it gets lubricated ! When it comes out....it's done, lube in the groove and ready to be loaded...it just doen't get any faster, cleaner or easier than this....it doesn't !
    If you are heavy handed on the lube pressure handle you may have to wipe the base off...I lay a rag across my thigh and wipe them before setting in my boolit box...no big deal at all.
    Best money I ever spent.....get one , you will like it!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I cannot echo gwpercle's post enough! He said it "right", and no doubt better than I could have... I, too, agree vis the Lyman 450. Oft' times, on this site, they are available at more than bargain prices, too. Good luck!
    geo

Saturday morn edit: I checked S&S, and lo and behold -- there's a great sounding 450 being purveyed at a most reasonable price: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...1-FS-Lyman-450
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 03-31-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Sorry I should habe specified, .430
    It will be for my marlin 1894 and redhawk.

Boolit Bub
    Georger, thank you for letting me know, however I am new to the group and don't think I can buy from private sellers until I hit 30 posts, up to 23 I think, as of now.lol

Quote Originally Posted by guntechholsters View Post
    Georger, thank you for letting me know, however I am new to the group and don't think I can buy from private sellers until I hit 30 posts, up to 23 I think, as of now.lol
    its my understanding the limit is to post in the swap and sell, i believe you may pm the seller and itd be within the rules. I trust a Mod or more versed member will be around shortly to corect me if im wrong

I now have 4 lubers, an old Lyman 45, a LAM 1 and two LAM 2s, each setup for different bullets/diameter after trying liquid lube and then having to size. All are mounted on PatMarlin DOCKRocker plates so they only occupy only one bench position. Each is mounted on their own Lyman heater, plug it in 15 minutes later I am lubing bullets. Following my old MSgt advice of keeping it simple.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    A luber sized was the best thing I got. Never tried a Lyman so can't say but the customer service i got from rcbs made my mind up. You can't go wrong with big green.

I have pan lubed what a mess I have tumble lubed what a mess then I got a lube sizer best thing I could of done in my book D Crockett

Hi, I have & use a Saeco Lub/sizer, but for some rifles which require a ?odd? diam. bullet, I dip-lube then using a spent casing with case neckexpanded to just over bullet diam.(.001") to which I JB welded a wood Doughnut at the base of the casing for my 84 yr. old knuckles,it then is used as a cookie-cutter with the case mouth slightly belled, Fivefang