MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: cast bullets on the AR platform

Boolit Bub

cast bullets on the AR platform

Some days ago on this forum, I proposed a new cartridge, for the AR platform.

This new cartridge, would be the standard .223 case, necked up to 30 caliber; and it would launch a 125 grain cast bullet to around 2500 fps.
    Humm... it rather seems that somebody has beaten me to it.
    Wilson Combat has a new round; 7.62x40WT.
    The 7.62x40WT, is the .223 case, ...necked up to 30 caliber, ..and it launches a 125 grain jacketed bullet to 2400 fps.
    Were we to take "Wilson's," new "necked up" .223 case;
    and combine it with a .....a Ballard type, .......deep cut rifled barrel, using a long twist;

I suspect a shooter could launch a 125 grain hard cast, ..gas checked bullet, of Lavern style, from the AR platform, ....using standard AR magazines, to around 2500 fps.....
    The result:
    Acceptable accuracy, acceptable velocity, acceptable trajectory, and full ability to cycle cast bullets through the standard AR gas system.
    This is just food for thought.
    I would add, the 223 case, and 7.62x39 case hold just about the same amount of water, with the 223 case just a few grains more, and the 7.62x39 is a very able to launch a 125 grain bullet to 2400 fps;

so a 30 caliber/.223/125 grain cast bullet/2500 fps , in a long rifling twist, should actually be quite do-able.

In Remembrance

I have an AR15 made for 7.62X39. I have no problem launching 125 grain cast boolits at 2400 fps with good accuracy. They do need to be hard (24BHN-50/50 WD COWW/Lino) and gas checked. Even better is a softer (12BHN-AC-COWW) 150 or 180 grain slug at 1800 to 2000 fps since these expand nicely.

Boolit Master
    Humm a 223 case made to hold a 30 cal bullet. I feel I might have heard of this.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    At least your theory is sound.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I still think the neck up on a 6.8 or 22 Nosler case would give you more ......

Have you heard of a 300 AAC Black Out or the more obscure 300 Whisper ?

The Nosler brass gives you the 223 bolt and a more straight case about .1 longer that the x39 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

You're a bit late with this idea as I know of at least 3 on this board. I have a McGowen 12" twist cut rifling barreled AR in 300blk, Popper has one with 10"twist barrel and I forgot the user name of a fellow who built a 30 Apache (longer version of Wilson 7.62x40). We all are already running cast in your proposed velocity range with accuracy, Popper & I both run the 130gr Mihec 311410HP.
    Oh, I also run a BHW barreled 25x45 Sharps with the Arsenal molds 257388 spire point cast 85gr @ 2570fps MOA @100yds consistently. There's some guys here that know how to "get 'er done", read listen and ask them questions and you too can learn how.....that's the path I took & it worked. Run5run is one who helped me find & fix my mistakes, I think the other 3 are no longer on this board.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

I didn't have to good sense to stop at .308" and just expanded up to .358".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357AR-lead3.jpg   357AR.JPG  

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Humm a 223 case made to hold a 30 cal bullet. I feel I might have heard of this.
    Yeah, Armalite actually "invented" the short .30 on the 5.56 case back when Stoner was playing with the platform,,,,,,(Actually it goes back a couple of decades earlier than that on a similar case)

30 Apache, 30 TCU, there are at least thirty wildcats that I've seen.

(Face palm, *again*). This and the earlier thread strike me as soft trolling to start with,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    Be nice if you could go full length with the 223 and work well in the AR15. 7.62 x 40 has been around a bit. I have a bolt gun in 30 apache or 7.62 x 45

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I didn't have to good sense to stop at .308" and just expanded up to .358".
    Thats as good as it gets!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    If all of this isn't enough ......
    You can do 30 and 35 Herrett on a 6.8 case .
    Better yet from a cost point for AR you can do them in the 22 NOS and keep the 223 bolt .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

does anyone make an upper in 30 carbine? I think doing one from scratch ( chamber reaming, magazine and feeding issues,) would be beyond my working abilities.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

110gr@2k fps? Why? Too many other variants give better performance. BO with 125 blacktips do 2200 no sweat.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I thought the 110gr was closer to 2500fps
    Last edited by krallstar; 04-16-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I was going to post a new thread on cast lead bullets, but in a Mosin Nagant. Can a hard lead 7.62x54 180 grain bullet be shot at 2500 fps?
    The Mosin Nagant has a 1in9 twist from what I under stand.

Fly