Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 310 kit box

My 310 kit box

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1443.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	217232

After a fair amount of digging I think I might have put together a pretty good Lyman range box. I still need to dig around and find a scale that fits the kit better. I also need to get some hold downs put in and figure out something to replace the cigar box to hold the orphan die sets.

So far set includes 5 die sets for 45acp, 222, 45-70. 4 die sets for 44 special, 357, 45 colt, 30/30,. 3 die sets in 30-06, 308, 270 and 234. For some reason I've been stumbling on to more and more die sets lately.
    Last edited by firebyprolong; 03-29-2018 at 10:09 AM.

attachment no worky for me ---
    I save decent usps small one price boxes as cigar box substitutes ---

Boolit Grand Master
    Outstanding! A real thread about the joys of reloading with real HAND TOOLS! Like Pavogrande, i'm unable to open the attachments, but I'm sure that will be taken care of and we'll be able to get the discussion going in earnest. In the meanwhile, I'll mention that there are cigar boxes and there are cigar boxes. If you go where they sell fancy cigars, you can buy some of the very nice wooden cigar boxes that come in a variety of sizes, shapes and finishes. I even used one to make a display case for my little S&W First Model Second Issue!

For transport to the range and secure storage at home, you may find that building your own custom box (or having one built if you're all thumbs like me) will be your best solution. Alternatively, 30- or 50 cal ammo boxes are a longtime solution to the question. I've also used various plastic or metal tool or fishing tackle boxes as well as the time I went all out on cool and outfitted one of the smaller (antique) oak Gerstner tool chests with my reloading stuff to put on the bench at schuetzen matches. A lot will depend on how many calibers you will be loading out of the kit and how many supplies you will be carrying. The only limits will be your imagination!

Let the games begin!
    Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

You've put together a nice box for a nice group of 310 tools.

Maybe add foam to pad the scale, only somewhat fragile bit.

Your nice wood box is a lot classier than my old video camera case for reloading and old steel toolbox for casting tools, still they protect and keep my portable kit together.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Wow! Nice!

Funny that you posted this picture today. We just got home from a week long vacation, we rent a house with some friends on the coast in Northern California. I always take my 310 tools to do some handloading, it helps me relax. All week I’ve been mulling over a custom box to build for my travel kit. I think your set up is really nice.

Boolit Grand Master
    Near box!! Now I get that you were just asking about the container within the box for your “orphan” dies rather than the “master box” to carry it all. I’ll repeat that those wooden cigar boxes can be handy for smaller divisions as well. I’m curious though, how are you carrying your pwder, primer, etc? I envisioned a single box for all, but you seem to have elegantly provided nesting sites for all of your tooling. Looking good!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

For what it's worth my local cigar store sells old boxes for $1 - yup, and your choice, cardboard or wooden. Some very nice ones - I got one with small drawers just the right size for four sleeves of primers - four of them. Guess where I keep my active primers! Upstairs in the reloading room is the cigar box, down in the garage is the refrigerator where I store the rest.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have no idea why I feel the need to accumulate these, I just like them. Saw a picture of skeeter loading 357s in the high desert when I was a kid and was sold instantly. I'll occasionally throw in a couple sets when I go camping just to keep the 44 spl and 45 colt supply up and throw in my 222 set to load 223 if we really get into a big prairie dog town. I need to play with the case a bit but I think it's got the makings of a really cool set up. As for power and primers I have no idea where I'm going to put them I'm running out of box pretty fast. That case happens to be an old tool chest that came with a set of 45-70 tools I picked up.
    Last edited by firebyprolong; 03-30-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyprolong View Post
    I have no idea why I feel the need to accumulate these, I just like them. Saw a picture of skeeter loading 357s in the high desert when I was a kid and was sold instantly. I'll occasionally throw in a couple sets when I go camping just to keep the 44 spl and 45 colt supply up and throw in my 222 set to load 223 if we really get into a big prairie dog town. I need to play with the case a bit but I think it's got the makings of a really cool set up.
    I'm so pleased to see this thread, firebyprolong... you are not only bringing in a topic that actually belongs here, but just as important, you are adding to the whole process with a great new direction of thought. Thank you very much!

When I first read the title of your thread (and before the picture showed up) I envisioned a "kit" for just one or two calibers including the 310 set of dies and handle along with some sort of powder measuring device and the supplies needed to do complete reloading. I'm not sure I would want to lug your box full of stuff and a second box full of powder, primers, bullets, etc. out to the range with me, but if I were heading to a summer home or some other semi-long term digs, that would be perfect. I'm now starting to cast about for a box that would be good to use at home just to put all of my 310 stuff together in one place... seems like I always have "hidden from myself" the exact piece of equipment I need at any given time!

On the subject of a field case, I'm going to look in my computer files for a picture or two of the kind of setup I mentioned, one that contains about everything you need to shoot, just add firearm.

Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shooter box 1 copy.jpg   Reload Box copy.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Update: I just won a stealth bid on fleaBay for a 32-20 set of handles (old steel version) in a semi-decent box. No dies, but a while back I swapped friend Brass Magnet out of a nice set of dies in that caliber. Looks like a field kit might be in my future. I like the idea of using spacers in the box while still using as many of the original boxes as possible. IIRC I still have an old square Unique can that will fit into such a box pretty well. Add a couple of flats of primers, a box of bullets and a tray of brass, and I'll be good to go. I'm guessing I'll use dippers to eliminate the need to carry a scale, but of course if I do go the scale route, I'm sure I can find one of these to add in... then again it would probably be cool to include an old Ideal #5 powder measure instead.

Several years ago I bought a 38 Special set of dies and handles, but they were just the alloy handles. The reason I bought them, however, was that they came in a really nice fitted case somebody custom built of a good heavy gauge of sheet metal. I "just happened" to have a properly marked steel set of handles to give the package a little more panache.

See what you started, firebyprolong? I hope you're very proud of yourself!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    A while back I saw a neat loading set of tong tools on ebay, they were in a cloth tool roll affair, with the tong in a pocket on one side, with the assorted dies in individual pockets on the opposite side. The two sides folded together, and had one more wrap of cloth and was tied off with a sewn on thong. It was quite crudely made and in relic condition, just like it had been found in the ruins of an old trapping cabin, which I'm sure it had been. Wish now I would have saved a picture of it, as it was quite interesting.

We have a metric ton of big mechanics roll around tool chests.We do a lot of gauge metal fabrication on these.

So I get inspiration and some drooling,looking at NASCAR pit boxes.Thats the back story.

In that search ( pit boxes)...... up comes slot car boxes.If you have the time,search up some images.They're quite good,imaginative.Not overly complex joinery,woodworking.A table saw,router and a screw gun.Check them out.

Ooops,very nice!! to the OP box....

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, the "Guy in the Red, White & Blue Truck" came by today and dropped off my "new" 32-20 marked handles in gorgeous purple colored steel. The box is pretty tattered, but there is a complete set of instructions in better than expected condition and a .310" push-through die with a 465 nose profile. This, along with the set of dies I got from Brass Magnet about a year ago, will be the basis of a field kit for my Uberti SAA in that caliber. I also found a little square Unique can, but I draw the line at antique primer boxes (for safety's sake) and I'll come up with some place cool to carry a supply of bullets. Once upon a time I bought an old Ideal bullet mould that came with a flat old tobacco tin with about 100 or so lubed and sized bullets... I may look for that tin or its equivalent (maybe an Altoids tin??) Yep, firebyprolong, you've really started something!

Froggie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	217424

Just to stir the pot take a look at skeeters kit. Simple canvas pouch, I Think one of those would be just the ticket for a pair of saddle bags.

Another tack on this could be keeping the loading kit right with the gun.

I've seen elegant fitted cases for fine old guns that had places built in for both gun care and loading tools.

My own favorite two rifle case has a nylon cover over the aluminum with a pair of nice zippered pouches on it, either ample enough to carry a basic loading kit for two rifles.

I've yet to load one with loading gear, but I could.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master
    At one time Lyman was selling a ballistic nylon bag similar to the one designed for an M-16 cleaning kit. It held one set of tongs and a set of dies. I’ll have to check to see whether they are still available to use as a carrier in saddle bags,etc.

Meanwhile, I’ve found a couple of my wooden boxes that were tentatively set aside for loading kits... I’m still trying to visualize how I want to lay it out and what I want it to hold. I did find several of my square powder cans. As long as I’m loading unique, Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, or 2400 I’ll be OK.

Froggie

So I have a recurring issue of finding deals on stuff after I've already found what I need. Long story short I have a med flat rate box on its way to me full of 310 dies and handles. I'm gonna a bigger box just to hold trade bait.

That's super cool! I was just thinking how nice it'd be to have a 310 tool at some point and you just make it look great!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast