Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: MVA sight base question

Boolit Buddy

MVA sight base question

Anyone know the difference on the MVA sight bases for 1874 Sharps? 1 is listed as 1874 Sharps, then they have a 2nd 1 that is listed as 1874 Sharps Underspring. No description as to what the differences are.

Boolit Buddy
    Most likely it has to do with where the spring that indexes the staff is? Tang sights are designed to protect themselves from heavy recoil by folding forward. You have to put them back into position by hand before firing again. The correct position is established by a notch on the sight staff and a spring on the base. This spring is adjustable to fine tune the angle of the sight staff.

Boolit Master
    Call them and ask. I've found them to be very helpful on the phone over the years when I had questions. Nice people.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    One of them has the spring on top of the base, and the other, is like the description says, the spring is under the base.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

be sure to ask the spacing also, to ensure it's correct for your particular 1874. The bases vary in center to center measurements on different maker's guns. Even the originals used two different spacing depending on year of manufacture. One is 2.26" and the other is 1.125"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    One of them has the spring on top of the base, and the other, is like the description says, the spring is under the base.
    Is there an advantage to either? Only saw this option for the 74, none of the other guns, not sure why.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I don't think one has any advantage over the other.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I prefer the spring underneath for a smoother base, and no sharp corners to feel.

Boolit Buddy
    Called MVA and got the answer. They said the underspring allows the staff to be positioned further forward giving a little more room for grip with the Soule sight. Also they said it allows for a bit further shooting, apparently because the sight sits a smidge higher. So there you have it straight from the horses mouth. That is also what I ended up ordering.

Either way will get you out past 1000 yds. with almost any front sight, if you chose the Longrange height sight.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Called MVA and got the answer. They said the underspring allows the staff to be positioned further forward giving a little more room for grip with the Soule sight. Also they said it allows for a bit further shooting, apparently because the sight sits a smidge higher. So there you have it straight from the horses mouth. That is also what I ended up ordering.
    I have the MVA Winchester "B" series 5x and the no.2 mounts on my Pedersoli 1874. Very happy with the fit and function. I drilled and tapped the mounts myself. I had to mess around a bit with the mount locations and center to center distances to gain the proper eye relief. A bit of advice, take GREAT care and patients when determining the perfect eye relief. The Win "B" series 5x scope I have has a very "unforgiving" sight picture. It's like a light switch, it's either on or off, black or clear. I used masking tape on the barrel and taped the scope and mounts to the barrel with electrical tape to try different mount locations. I even drilled 2 sets of mount holes for the front mount so as to have a few mount position options if needed.

Road Clam, the OP is talking iron tang sights, not MVA scopes.