Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 Carbine Question

Ruger's Mini 14 .300 Blackout might scratch the itch. For some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I'd have a hard time paying 900 for a carbine I know I know prices ain't what they used to be.
    BUT if like others have mentioned it is safe to shoot or can be made safe to shoot ( no receiver problems) I grab it if I had the disposable cash.

Figure I paid 100 for one and 400 for a bluSky import both Iver Johnsons, the 100 dollar one no import marks, the BluSky stamped so deep I'm amazed the barrel isn't bent.

I guess it comes down to the question what's it worth to you?

Rich

I’ve been seeing $600 sks here to, stamped Chinese guns! I have a carbine that was given to me by my grandpa, he bought it from the cmp, I still have the receipt. I was a stupid kid when he gave it to me and threw away the box it came in. Are they really as rare as the prices reflect?

It kind of depends on your definition of rare. They made several million of them during the war, and several hundred thousands of them of mixed quality by several manufacturers after the war, so as they say, "they're out there." I think that there are two dynamics at work here. First, they've always been a very popular rifle, short, light, handy, semi-auto, high capacity magazines, reasonably accurate for the cartridge and intended ranges. People that have them like them, and tend to hang onto them. Next, we seem to be entering another "gun control is coming" panic, and prices seem to be going up in general for all semi-autos, especially those of a military persuasion. Back in the Clinton administration when the Assault Weapons Ban was enacted SKS rifles went for more than $600, some in the $900 range. AK-47s and AR-15s all went through the roof. It seems that many folks buy in anticipation of need or not being able to get something in the future, but when the perceived threat passes and panic subsides the prices revert to something more normal.

Boolit Master

I would be interested in a Carbine if I could get one in my paws for less than $700. It could be new manufacture or a mixmaster as long as it is functional and safe to shoot. I presently have two Garands. My first one is a mixmaster with a '55 barrel on it and a Springfield receiver. I added a globe front sight and a decent leather sling. I use it in Vimsar matches but they make me use an as issued front sight. It is a decent shooter.

The second one is a pure Winchester made on April 23, 1943 with a crappy stock. It had a soft rubber butt pad when I got it. I bought a freshly manufactured wooden stock and I bought the necessary metal hardware from Brownell's to add a metal butt and I intend to install a adjustable gas valve to I can tune it up to perform with my handloads. I finished the stock with Linseed Oil over a period of 3 months.

This finish is fantastic but a real bear to get done right. Many times I had to wait for 48 to 72 hours for the fresh coat of oil to dry enuf to rub out right. It is totally gorgeous and I am anxious to go ahead with the assembly of the metal guts to this new stock. I am also thinking about adding a NM rear sight and a globe sight to the front. This will make it a non starter in the VIMSAR competition but will give me many hours of quality trigger time at 100 to 600 yards on metal bongs. Taking off all that stuff to compete is not worth it to me. My first Garand does that just fine.

I also have two .303's Enfield's. Neither one is as issued and they cry for load development and to be shot regularly. One is a Longbranch 2 groove barrel No 4 Mark whatever with a sporterized stock. The other is a conversion via a California company which I do not recall the name of. I also have a commercial Mauser in 7.92 x 57 MM. As far as I can see this one dates back to around 1907 or so. It has no sights at all but does have a mounting for a set of rings. That project should work out as I have ss scope of low power just for plinking and the like.

Then there is the most expensive Mauser I own. This started out to be a BRNO made Mauser 98/22 from 1923. I paid $109 at the Big 5 here in Vegas. It was so ugly and ungainly that I was ashamed to let anybody see it. I had a local gunnie (Ray Lynn--RIP) work on it. We rebarrelled it with a Douglas Match to 6.5x55 and worked over the bolt (turned it down). He then replaced the trigger with a Timmney and adjusted it to break like glass at 2.5#. He added a Buhler safety and reblued everything. He remounted my Asian cheapo scope and put it all in a colorful laminated thumb hole stock. This customization cost me $1340 but made one wonderful rifle. This was to be the last rifle he made as he passed on shortly after he delivered the rifle to me at home since I had a broken leg and I could not drive.

I have Ruger Blackhawk with a 7.5" tube in .30 Carbine that could partner up with a Carbine if I can find one cheap enuf.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    You may want to consider a post-war if your looking for a shooter. I have a plainfield that I can shoot without worrying about collector value, and a WWII model that sits in the bank... uh... safe.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Corrigan View Post
    I have Ruger Blackhawk with a 7.5" tube in .30 Carbine that could partner up with a Carbine if I can find one cheap enuf.
    Crash_Corrigan I had long sought a .30 Carb Blackhawk, until a local fellow showed up at range with one he had just acquired at a not-local GS. Then, he shot it -- and I reckoned folks in the next county's ears be ringing! WOWSERS -- imho, that's the loudest firearm I've heard! Note I wrote "I heard" -- granted there must be louder ones... However, after hearing Les's, my wanting one waned... Is yours incredibly loud, or was that a peculiarity to just this specific revolver?

Boolit Master
    The Ruger isn't so loud if you feed it with cast and reloads. Mine is quite accurate!
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12