WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine Question

Boolit Grand Master

M1 Carbine Question

LGS has an M1 Carbine for sale and want to knownits worth and if a good buy. They’re asking 8-900 IIRC.

M1 Carbine with no import markings

SN 2215782

Has rear sight that overhangs the manufacturer and is the slide ramp adjustable for elevation with detente at 100, 150, 200, 300. Click adjustable windage

Barrel stamped nderwood (I assume Underwood but the U was missing) and dated 2-44 with flaming bomb symbol underneath. Rifling is sharp and bore shiny.

Stock is a bit rough. Looks like someone added a rear sling but was later filled in with a dowel and you’d look over it if just glancing. Looks similar to the Marlin eye but matching color. Has a small crack that had been repaired by the barrel band. No heat sheild and all metal is well parkerized with some normal wear on the bolt. Does not have sling or oil canister. There is the crossed cannon cartouche on the right side of the stock. Where the sling would insert is an “IO”or “10”

No rust.

Gun pusher states it’s an older gentleman that brought in 5-6 Long guns to put on consignment as it was just he and his wife and he just couldn’t shoot them anymore due to health reasons but bought it from the NRA (CMP?) some 15-20 years ago. Sadly my gun pusher is about in the same boat and I’ve bought some
    Nice revolvers from him over the years.

Opinions?

When you say it is missing the heat shield, do you mean the upper handguard? It should have a wooden upper handguard with four rivets in it. I would try to get it for Less in the condition you describe, but it might bring the asking price if the right person comes along. The only way we will get a bargain on an M1 carbine is if the seller is a non gun savvy person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

It is a wooden hand guard. There are no rivets or bayonet attachment points. I think I’ve seen some with a metal upper heat shield but those may have been some other abomination.

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26C7E9E-22E7-42A9-B5C9-24E12ADD6C07.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	217207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50FAED18-7252-460E-A701-EE74550BD8CA.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	217208

You can see the small crack in the wood where it was repaired.

Yeah, sad to say, but in today's market the price is ball park. But before I got my wallet out I'd want to definitely know what it says under the rear sight. Always the possibility of a surplus barrel on an after war commercial receiver. Perhaps the dealer has already looked, as he had to enter it's make in his dealer book. But don't assume that because the barrel say Underwood that the receiver is Underwood, because Underwood supplied the barrels to a couple of the other receiver manufacturers.

Super Moderator

Some of the early M1's had no bayo-lugs, but those ones usually came with flip sights instead of the adjustable type. When the carbines went in for rebuild they were fitted with the adjustable sights and bayo lugs.

Boolit Man

From data on a M1 collectors site, that serial number falls in the range for Standard Products(1,982,520-2,352,519). Did a ton of research on my Saginaw S'G', that site helped a lot. Hope this helps, Dave

Banned
    osteodoc08,

Given that you seem to have a carbine by Standard Products, which firm made only about four percent of all US-made M1 carbines, it might be worth your time to "look about the gun-shows" & try to "correct" it.

In today's inflated collector's market, no telling what a corrected Standard Products carbine might bring.

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Looks to have a " pot bellied" stock which were for M2's, check the left side of stock by breech/ bolt area to see if there is a slot in the wood, small gap between receiver and stock. Carefully look at barrel in front of front band to see if there is the outline of the last version front band with bayonet lug as they covered more of the barrel. " snidley whiplash" gun dealers will switch front bands trying to tell folks its an early piece. On pictured has early barrel band, check rear of upper hand guard right in front of receiver, might have 2 rivets, one on each side, which is good. Would not worry about rear sight as adjustable ones were issuied in late WWII. Can you make out mfg name under rear sight? Take a bright light and get mfg. Very few .30 Cal. Carbines matched. Several good books on them, " War Baby" comes to mind, but IIRC its about $50 so unless a collector, that $50 of ammo!
    Id tell the LGS guy its a mix master and offer $600-650 out the door, you wont be hurt. JMHO
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Whatever the manufacture, I could tell it started with an S. Sounds like it’s a mix of parts. I’m sure is common but not worth the price to me. Maybe someone else. Guess I need to stay on the hunt.

From what little I know, the early ones had the flip sight (made by Saginaw for all makers), the push button safety, and no bayonet provision. The adjustable sight came later as did the lever safety. The bayonet lug came post WW2. Please correct me if needed.

Boolit Grand Master

This one had push safety, no bayonet lug but had the adjustable sight.

Another early feature is a flat top bolt. The later models had a round top bolt including my Howa.

Moderator Emeritus

In my neck of the woods, to see an original US M1 carbine at a local gun show, sans import marks, for less than $1200.00 is indeed a rarity. A respected collector noted that in the field, during war, many broken, shot, and smashed firearms were disassembled -- often at night, with each respective part tossed into a can for that part. The armorer's job was to get as many functioning as he might, and in those days no one noticed -- or gave a hoot if they did -- as to who's manufacture of needed part was. A close friend's uncle was a litter-bearer in Korea, where their job was to pick up rifles. Hence, what may be to some a not-so-valuable "mix-master", may indeed instead be a firearm with quite the history -- being 100% "correct", eventually getting to your LGS after ?????. The old adage, "If guns could talk..." comes into play here.
    Regardless -- if it is 100% safe and functional -- I know it would follow me home at that price....
    Just my two pennies on the question
    geo

Boolit Master

If I was going to buy a M1 Carbine again and was going to pay 1200.00 plus for it, I would add a little extra and buy one of the Fulton Armory new carbines. They are better made and more accurate than the originals being basically hand fitted. They are also about 99% correct as far as parts (early and late versions). Prices on all surplus rifles have a life of their own and as the supply dries up, the quality goes down and the price goes up , often to ridiculous levels. my .02 anyway, james

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    ...and as the supply dries up, the quality goes down and the price goes up , often to ridiculous levels... james
    TNsailorman, you hit the nail on the head vis quality and prices ! I agree with you 100% -- however, I -- not too long ago -- saw a "Rock-ola bring-back" with both a $3,200 price tag, AND, a SOLD tag on it. Also was an Inland coffin-carbine for $2,200. Yes, indeed, Clint McKee's carbines are perhaps as good as one might ever hope to have -- complemented with new furniture and their Kreiger barrels -- in the $1,500 to $1,600 range . I was commenting to OP that the "They’re asking 8-900 IIRC." is not at all out of line -- with the 100% safe and functional hitch -- as to that which I've witnessed them selling for: indeed not too bad a price. Again, your supply/demand/price note is very well spoken!
    geo

Boolit Master

George, I hope I didn't come off knocking those who buy a M1 Carbine for the current asking prices. I agree with your assessment. The fact of the matter is; if I were a military rifle collector (which I am not a collector of anything), I would end up having to pay the price if I wanted an M1 Carbine in my collection. Fulton Armory carbines are after all, not all GI parts as you pointed out, and therefore cannot be considered "GI". I have owned 2 carbine in the past, an Inland with a rockola barrel on it, and a Saginaw with Inland(?) barrel pm it. My Dad and I bought them from the old DCM for $20.00 each. Both were decently accurate. I don't have either now and I kick myself every time I think about letting them go. Clint has re-worked 2 M1 Garands for me and I couldn't be happier with his work. Turn him loose with an M1 and when he gets through with it, the only limitation is with the ability of the shooter. Take care and have a great weekend, james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    TNsailorman, you hit the nail on the head vis quality and prices ! I agree with you 100% -- however, I -- not too long ago -- saw a "Rock-ola bring-back" with both a $3,200 price tag, AND, a SOLD tag on it. Also was an Inland coffin-carbine for $2,200. Yes, indeed, Clint McKee's carbines are perhaps as good as one might ever hope to have -- complemented with new furniture and their Kreiger barrels -- in the $1,500 to $1,600 range . I was commenting to OP that the "They’re asking 8-900 IIRC." is not at all out of line -- with the 100% safe and functional hitch -- as to that which I've witnessed them selling for: indeed not too bad a price. Again, your supply/demand/price note is very well spoken!
    geo
    i luv my rockola, it just keeps going up and up and up in value. if a guy is wanting a carbine to abuse a little/hunt with etc a modern one may be the way to go, but new ones will not climb in value, at least not in my lifetime.

Boolit Master
    Saw a Winchester M1 Carbine at a LGS and the price was $1999.00, the gun was a old WW II model. Gave my sons my carbines a few years back. Have shot a lot of cast bullets in the carbines over the years.

Boolit Master
    These m1 carbine prices remind me of the $600 SKS's I see for sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast