RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: online wills

online wills

Need to update my will. Nothing complicated. Primary home, whatever cash in bank. Local firm Dewey, Cheatem & Howe seems a bit expensive. Anybody ever use an online software service?
    Any recommendations?
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Never used an online one but office Max has will kits with a book and CD for $50. I was thinking about trying that.

Boolit Buddy
    if you're worried about starting a family fued, pay the money get it done right with a lawyer and then rest easy as you'll know you made it easy for those family members who would get run over by the others.

I was in court on a jury to determine if a will by the deceased was made while he was in sound mind and body.

after it was over it pretty much looked like the 'upset' members of the family wanted more than what they got in the will.

the will prevailed and being drawn up right by a law firm went a long way in the testimony of what the deceased wished.

additionally any savings or IRA's or other such can be handed down to those you want and GREAT benefits can be had from them. It's called a Stretch IRA, ask about it.

it's worth talking to a financial planner/advisor then going and setting up a will.

Banned
    Shop around for an attorney; like any entrepreneur, they set their own prices. Look for someone that works on their own or is in a small firm, their overhead will be less.

There are good reasons to use an attorney. The attorney will know the location of the will, typically in his or her office. The attorney will handle the requirements for witnesses. The attorney will know nuances of the law.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I really don't know if any online wills are good or not but here in Pa. everything has to go through probate court so even Living Wills are subject to a procedure even if you were told different. I've been through this many times already. take the recommendation about getting a Lawyer but shop around and ask prices. Some firms specialize and have reasonable rates for simple estates.

uslegalforms.com is where I made my last one 8 years ago. Ready to update and kind of in a quandry myself. Thru the years there has been a toxic situation develope between me and oldest urged on by a very toxic ex. Fairly straightforward but don't want the other two to be cheated by a very greedy sibling.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

Boolit Master
    I wrote my parent's wills and living trust. Used a computer program, which cost under $100, then had an attorney check it, which cost under $300.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by cephas53 View Post
    Need to update my will. Nothing complicated. Primary home, whatever cash in bank. Local firm Dewey, Cheatem & Howe seems a bit expensive. Anybody ever use an online software service?
    Any recommendations?
    My mom used software online for her will. Works fine, but I would recommend looking into registering the will once it's done. After mom passed, my sister was the executor for the estate. She had to go through extra hassle with the court because the will wasn't registered with the county mom had lived in. While there are no requirements to register a will, it may help make things go smoother if you do.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Don't wait for a will to determine who gets what. It's your stuff, give it to whomever, now. Give them the opportunity to say thank you or kiss my donkey. You might as well know who appreciates you while youre alive. Let everyone know your intentions and if there are personal requests they can be accomidated or ignored as you wish.
    Wills can be contested by anyone and the state makes the final decision.
    Last edited by mold maker; 03-29-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned
    The Will itself is not a complicated document. In fact, it is one of the simpler legal instruments.
    A will can be drawn up without the assistance of an attorney and that is why these on-line services exist. However, the assistance of an attorney can be beneficial. Most of the problems associated with wills occur after the person is dead and it's a little late then to ask them to clarify what they intended ! Attorneys can draw up wills that avoid some of the confusion.

A few issues that commonly occur:
    Where IS the will? (Dad died, we know he had a will, where did he keep it?)
    Is the will the LAST will ?
    Who is the executor? Who is the alternate executor?
    Where is the property to be disbursed ? (This can get fuzzy when banks change names, personal property is not clearly identified and when land has been sub-divided)
    Marriages, Divorces, grandchildren, step-children, etc. can make a will that was simple and clear; complicated and fuzzy. Fuzzy isn't good.

So, while there is nothing wrong with a will prepared from some guide (on-line form), provided that it is properly witnessed and meets the other requirements (sound mind, not coerced, is in fact the last will, the intent is clear and legal) - it's probably worth the money to hire an attorney.

Moderator Emeritus

Parents went with a trust. It has worked well for the four of us because we all get along and no one was in dire need. Only problem has been bugging a sister not to keep checks for over 2 months before cashing them. It worked as the estate which was valued a 1.5 million + at one time dropped to 40% because of the real estate drop at their death. All involved understand you cannot live in the past about things. Only real problems were with the Boat salesman who sold Dad a $25K boat at the age of 90 with out anyone else in the family being aware of it. I think he used it twice.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When it comes to Wills and Trusts - I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Nobody wants to pay the high rate of an attorney but if there is a possibility of a family squabble (and NO family is immune to that) or anything but simple - do it the right way and have an attorney do it. Out here where we are in AZ, I know of two different individuals who used a "caned Will" from off the Internet - it was a nightmare for their Executors when the time came. I have been the Trustee and Executor of several estates and it makes a world of difference to settle an estate when everything has been covered by a well written Will and Trust - especially when it comes to avoiding Probate. Every state is different I'm sure, and the laws change over time. If you do an online Will, I'd at least have an attorney look it over to make sure you have all of you bases covered for what your wishes are. Good luck to you and at least you are thinking ahead which is more than a lot of people do, only to leave things in a mess when they pass.

in Remebrance
    Just bear in mind that the one thing that can tear apart the tightest knit family is MONEY. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatwhiskers View Post
    Just bear in mind that the one thing that can tear apart the tightest knit family is MONEY. GW
    Sister and I don't talk anymore because she put money ahead of family. Our mother warned me she would do that.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I used an online will program to write a codicil to our wills. Both sons are aware of what we wanted to do and were in agreement. Our attorney is the one who recommended that we do this since it was so simple. I guess if we had contentious offspring we should have gone ahead and spent the money but neither son is hurting and both have tried to tell us to go ahead and spend it.

EDIT: I guess I should have pointed out that both our sons are in better financial shape than we were at their age although one is more prosperous than the other, neither is particularly greedy.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I used Legalzoom for mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Last year we had our wills and living family trust updated/rewritten. Cost = $2,500. Paid for by my investment broker firm. Big THICK book!

My son bought the LegalZoom package for his needs and it was almost the same exact thing for around $100. I compaired page by page and both were very similar.

LegalZoom provides the package but no support in the future if you need it. The law firm that did our will/trust wil always be there for any advice needed in the future.

Do what you can afford for the size of your estate involved. But do SOMETHING!!!!!!

Banger

Quote Originally Posted by BigMagShooter View Post
    i
    additionally any savings or IRA's or other such can be handed down to those you want and GREAT benefits can be had from them. It's called a Stretch IRA, ask about it.
    Interesting, worth more investigation. Thanks.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Last year we had our wills and living family trust updated/rewritten. Cost = $2,500. Paid for by my investment broker firm. Big THICK book!

My son bought the LegalZoom package for his needs and it was almost the same exact thing for around $100. I compaired page by page and both were very similar.

LegalZoom provides the package but no support in the future if you need it. The law firm that did our will/trust wil always be there for any advice needed in the future.

Do what you can afford for the size of your estate involved. But do SOMETHING!!!!!!

Banger
    I feel your pain. I just made some minor changes and updated my trust and it cost right at $2,000. But worth every penny as it's up to date legally. With the changes I wanted to make it totally changed how my IRA needed to be handled. If complicated you have to use an estate lawyer, if simple I'd still say to use a lawyer. My GF went with on line forms for NC and it seems ok but she has no complications. These documents (will, living will, Health Care Surrogate and POA) have to be handled and filled in properly and some notarized. I can't see where it should cost more then $500 for a simple Will and other forms. Having been through this when my wife passed away I can tell you it's REALLY important to have it done right. Especially with the Health Care Surrogate. Do NOT put this off, you never know when it's going to be needed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

Banger
    About what I paid as well. It takes a binder to hold it.

Made a small change and the crooks wanted $500!! Talked to the attorney and he wound up not charging me.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast