RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Spring splits of bees

Spring splits of bees

Found a good deal on double deep bee hives for 200 each and brought 4 pallets to replace some of our losses from the Harvey flood in August September last year.since We were in the pickup and could only carry 2 pallets at a time Had to make 2 trips .

Split the first 2 pallets yesterday before making a 500 mile round trip for the other 2. Ones with supers are yesterdays splits.Sure hope to make some honey this wear to help recover from losses of the flood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0452.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	217194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0453.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	217195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0454.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	217196
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Glad you found a good deal . Hope you have a great year !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

Bees

I want to get back into beekeeping again , sold my 100+ hives and equipment in 1999 . I am shocked at how much it cost now! I wish you the best with your labor of love. .

We lost from 115 down to less than 25 and are trying to build back as best We can.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Master
    Been a hobby beekeeper for almost 30 years off and on. I'm working with 3 hives and just split my strongest one which gives me four. I'm planning at least one more split from my yard but only want to stay around 5 hives. The price of bees have gone through the roof over the last few years around here in Florida. A single deep is going for $350.00 at most bee yards, you did good with your doubles. Got hammered the last two years by hurricanes, that and small hive beetles have been giving me a run for the money.

Boolit Master

I pray great success for you!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Beeman, at 100 hives do you have enough size for this to be a business? I am up to 9 hives and with a day job I really can't do more than that and do a proper job taking care of the bees. I had always thought that you need something like 1000 hives for this to be a business.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Moderator Emeritus

I looked at getting into it, cost of the bees is a no go...

Boolit Master

mel saw them on facebook and said they look beautiful. she has been feeding hers like you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I looked at getting into it, cost of the bees is a no go...
    You can always catch swarms. They are free.

Boolit Buddy

I had a swarm hanging in the tree in my front yard 4 days ago, called the Bee Guy to see what to do, said $140 to come get them, I countered with a $50 offer. Turns out he didnt want em. They left on their own. I wasn't sure they weren't africanized, so I did my best to not rile em

Banned
    brewer12345,

SPOT ON.

Neither my father nor I ever bought any bees, though he sometimes got offered cash (or something else of value) for removing a swarm from someone's property.

yours, tex

Last year I lost no hives over the winter and was at my limit for hives I wanted to manage. I ended up making and selling a bunch of nucs. It was profitable even buying queens at retail prices. This year I have two dead hives and a friend that wants some splits, so I won't need to make up nucs to prevent swarming.

Boolit Master
    I've a friend who is interested in a nuc or two and plan to split out a few small hives for him. Pulling brood frames is the easiest way to keep swarming under control I've found. Been a lazy beekeeper the last few years and the yard has suffered from it. I'm just limited by how much equipment I have and have found that anything over 6 hives becomes work with my 1960's vintage hand cranked Kelly reversible extractor. The thing is built like a tank.
    Catching swarms is a great way to get free bees and re-queening will take care of any Africianized genes if you have a queen supplier in the area.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Some of the bee populations here are suffering badly from a sudden death of over half the hive. Due to some odd weather patterns that we had, that pushed the clover bloom back and let the yellow jessamine bloom vigorously and early, it appears (at the moment) to be the prime suspect. And that stuff is EVERYWHERE around here. I hope the hives can recover.
    https://beeinformed.org/2017/03/13/y...to-honey-bees/
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

It has been a challange to keep the bees alive with the hive beetles and mites. When making up nucs they have to be fed for about 3 weeks untell the new Queen can get a good start laying.

I was whuped and give out after making a 3000 mile vacation trip then making the trips for these bees to the point I slept tell 10 AM tiday. My up and at it time is 7 or before. Will be suited up and back at splitting our 20 or so hives left in a bit.

Feel free to ask or call for those in beekeeping that have questions, I started beekeeping in th 50s and still have a lot to learn.

409-789-2839
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    You can always catch swarms. They are free.
    And very rare here on the MN prairie!

Boolit Master

Wishing you SWEET success, with your bees

Feeding my hives and I have not seen any pollen coming in yet
    enjoy your day
    Cariboo

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"