Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataRepackboxPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Worn Star Lubesizer

Boolit Master

Worn Star Lubesizer

Anybody ever wear out a Ram Link, Ram Link Pin, and Shaft Assembly on a Star Lubesizer? Is this common? Just cost me $50 odd dollars including shipping for parts. I throw a couple lubed boolits back through every ten or twenty or so and I am only sizing from .360 to .358. The threads are not hitting the die and there is was no bind until these parts wore. The upper hole in the the Ram Link was wallowed out to an oval about 3 times the standard diameter of the hole, the pin was worn almost all the way through in the middle due to the ovaling of the Ram Link, and Shaft arm that actuates the lube plunger had worn significantly. I am complaining a little but this thing has 40k-50k boolits through it, so I don't think its all that bad. Its been an invaluable piece of equipment and I did buy it used. What are your experiences folks?

Yes, they get some wear, and considering the original Star machines are at least 40 to 50 years old, things are going to get worn. I've got 10 of the Star sizers (well, one is a tall Magma, and another is a clone that someone made), but I have no idea how many bullets have gone through them before I got them, and some of mine have sized many, many thousands of bullets, from .312" diameter to .459" diameter.

I've sent three of them to Magma for repairs, and just got two of them back last week. I don't mind fixing them, or having them repaired, since they've given me good service over the years. The most serious thing I've had to have fixed was a broken aluminum fulcrum that cracked, and they welded it up and it's still going strong. The parts you mention are all moving parts, and they're going to wear, as any moving part will. Just be sure to use a good quality oil on those parts.

I'm just grateful that Magma is willing to work on the older Star machines, and that the new parts they're currently making will fit the older machines.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned
    The Star and magma machines I purchased will probaby out live me. I do however apply several drops of oil to the linkage when I use them. I also put a little grease on the verticals so that the up and down motion of the slide doesn't cause wear on them too. $50 to rebuild them is very cheap and certainly better than the alternatives out there that some seem to enjoy using.

Boolit Master
    I agree, $50 is cheap for the use and time saved with these machines. And it is fantastic that Magma makes everything we need. In fact, the lady who took my order on the phone said "we will get these machined and out to you in a couple of days". I had to laugh. You just don't see that service in the world in general anymore. I only posed the question about problems because you never hear of any with these machines. So my thought was these parts are wear items and normal to replace or Im doing something wrong and nobody else has this problem.

If you look at the parts you replaced, you'll see that there is force applied to the wear points, and that force is multiplied thousands of times over. It's going to wear. Good lube will reduce that wear as much as possible, but it's still going to wear.

The Star Sizer is a well thought out little machine, and considering the use some of them get, it's amazing that they last as well as they do. I've got one Star that was left in a bucket in a leaking metal building for who knows how long. I'm restoring it now, and I believe that even though it was partially submerged for at least several years, I'll be able to get it working again. Any parts that are rusted beyond repair are available from Magma, so once I get it restored, it can continue on as it was designed, and someone will get many more years of use out of it, long after I leave this rock.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

I lube all the wear areas on my Star before every batch of boolits I push through it.
    But I should mention I don't use it that often. I tend to make small batches and will use a Lyman sizer for small batches (100- to 200). But when I do a large batch (500- to 1000), which is about 4 times a year, then I use the Star. So My star will sit for several months at a time, and the oil/lube on it will gravitate or dry, so That's why I Lube it for each batch.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately the links link pins ram are outside the lube for the bullet so they don't get any of that lube and like reloading presses and trimmers need to be lubed by hand. For the links and rams I prefer a good grease over oil if there is room for it in the joint. The links are rough since there thin not having a lot of surface for grease or oil to work. A small grease gun with a point on it can do a good job of forcing grease into the joints. same with the ram. I have seen several reloading presses that were rebuilt and a small zerk was added to lube the ram.

Boolit Master
    Well I feel a fool. I have never greased those joints with pins the contact points, just the front shaft. Buhh, at least I will live and learn and this tool will leave an easier life now. Thanks to all those who chimed in with thoughts and experience. Very much appreciate this forum and its people.

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS produces a press with a zerk fitting on the oversized ram.
    I have always used STP on all moving surfaces at the end of each session. Even the 1960s press is still tight with no wear showing in the joints.

Life rule #1. IF IT MOVES, LUBE IT.
    The Dr. has even lubed some of my joints.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Some time you Just have to Throw them away
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Before you throw it away send it to me first, I'll pay shipping.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Now that makes no sense at all....unless using purple font.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I started this thread the same day I ordered parts from Magma for the lubesizer. I come home from work tonight and sitting on my kitchen table are the parts. 2 day turnaround. I had to pay for the parts, but I have NEVER got something I needed in two days from any company. Simply amazing customer service. I love the lubesizer and if it had taken 2 weeks, I would have said nothing about it, this being very specialized equipment with a small audience. I will one day own more than just a Lubesizer from this company given this experience.

They're not cheap, but they're the only game in town for a lot of the parts. Their customer service is first rate, though. I've had many conversations with them over the years, and they've always been helpful.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    Same thing with Ponsness Warren. I called 3 pm EST. The nice lady on the phone didn't have an answer for one of my questions. Less then a minute she had it. Ordered my parts and Sat. morning they were sitting in my PO box. Pricey but quick service and older machines can be updated.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    RCBS produces a press with a zerk fitting on the oversized ram.
    I have always used STP on all moving surfaces at the end of each session. Even the 1960s press is still tight with no wear showing in the joints.

Life rule #1. IF IT MOVES, LUBE IT.
    The Dr. has even lubed some of my joints.
    Is it Army rule #2? "If it doesn't move- paint it!"

Boolit Master

I bought a used Star back in the 80's, I know its had well over 100K bullets thru it and I see no ware on the parts. Great machine.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator