Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite alloy for the 44 mag?

yes, I am aware that 50+50+2=102, smart alec! but I figured you guys would get the point,tripple, that's the reason I figured on adding around 20% pure, to avoid any fracturing, while I use a flat nose, when mushroomed, they can still fracture if they are too hard. I can always water drop them if I need to, after some testing.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

do you guys find that an alloy with the hardness of maybe 14-18 is more accurate than one of 12-14 bhn ( for 1200-1300 44 mag loads) also, if properly sized, are they typically cleaner? I have yet to experiment with hard lead in my SBH bisley hunter, but I am about to go out and cast some with a little copper sulfide added, will let you know how it goes, although it will be next week before I can test it, as I am waiting on grip frame screws from ruger, ( one head broke off, and they were kind enough to send a few replacement screws free of charge!

I shoot COWW+2% tin mixed 50/50 with pure at 1,290-1,300 (chrono checked)from my 7 1/2” Redhawk. At 25yrds they will pass thru a plastic 55gal drum full of top soil. I have picked up multiple bullets found on the ground a few feet behind the drum. They all look the same and still weigh around 245-250 (255gr SWC)

I have not taken a deer yet with this bullet but have killed multiple deer with this alloy in my rifles at 2,000+ FPS. It worked very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4F99115A-C8C9-4E54-8683-1908C6F075A6.jpg  
    Last edited by White Oak; 07-10-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Smelted COWW, the cast into bullets. Cheap, simple and easy....

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    do you guys find that an alloy with the hardness of maybe 14-18 is more accurate than one of 12-14 bhn ( for 1200-1300 44 mag loads) also, if properly sized, are they typically cleaner? I have yet to experiment with hard lead in my SBH bisley hunter, but I am about to go out and cast some with a little copper sulfide added, will let you know how it goes, although it will be next week before I can test it, as I am waiting on grip frame screws from ruger, ( one head broke off, and they were kind enough to send a few replacement screws free of charge!

Nope, I've tested softer BNH pc boolits with the same loads with better accuracy

Boolit Master

I've used #2 or Hardball for 60yrs for all my MAGNUM Loads. RIFLE or REVOLVER.
    Size a thousand over Chamber mouths, or rifle bore dia.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use something just a little harder than my normal 10-12+PC I use on 90% of my cast dudes - around 14+PC.

I cast a hundred or so harder boolits ( no tester, but I would guess they are as hard as lyman #2, so in the 14-16bhn area) when ruger finally ships me the screw I need, I will be testing these for accuracy, leading, and if any, expansion. I will let you guys know!

Boolit Master
    Most of my ingot are COWW with a little nickel Babbitt thrown in for the tin content. I used to load up a box of 245 gr pb boolits for a late friend of mine, and he's killed several deer with them. I only got to shoot an armadillo and a coyote, and lots of paper. My 310 gr. Lee boolits will go through more gallon jugs of water than I care tote.
    I haven't hunted in a number of years now, but still love to shoot!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    My alloy is mostly from wheel weights and has a BHN of 12. I shoot 310 gt Lee boolits lubed with Felix lube at about 1380 fps with no leading. I haven’t shot anything with them yet, but I would expect them to perform satisfactorily.

Randy

a lot of people really seem to like the lee 310, seems like recoil might be a bit stiff, what velocity is everyone shooting these at? and what powder/load do you use to get there? with 21.5 grs of win 296, and a 275gr (actual weight) keith style, recoil is stout, but not unpleasant. I don't have a chrono, but I assume they are moving along at 1250+fps

Boolit Master

My generic Lyman#2....dale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12