Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite alloy for the 44 mag?

Favorite alloy for the 44 mag?

just wanted to do a poll of what everyone is shooting out of there 44 mags, and wether it is used for hunting or not, prefer to hear about hunting alloys! thanks-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

I use both wheel weight metal with a little tin, and also 50/50 Clip on wheel weight/pure lead and some tin. Either way, they go through deer like they are tissue paper.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Vendor Sponsor

I like 50/50+2% it just works in everything. Deer don't mind a bit if it isn't harder, I like to scratch it with my thumbnail, and I like soft lube also, this alloy and lube takes to a Ruger barrel like a duck to water.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^Exactly
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

thanks guys! any more?

Boolit Grand Master

I use straight clip on weights. You don't get much expansion but a swc cuts a nice neat hole with very little damage to the meat. I've killed several deer with pistols in calibers from 357, 44 and 45.

May I ask then what the BHN for the alloy then ? I know it sound soft for what is posted.I know it will also help the OP also. Thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I use basically 50/50(COWW /Lead) + a little tin to mix with the antimony in the COWWs. Not sure of the exact ratio/percentage, but it is something like 96/2/2 lead/antimony/tin or there about.

IIRC, that runs about 12-16 BHN air cooled. If I want to run harder, I can water quench the boolits to bring the BHN a bit higher.

I run that "primary" mix of alloy in all of my handguns including 44Mag, and do not have any issues. I do not run any "hot" or close to Max. loads though. Mostly low & midrange loads.

I use either 45/45/10 lube or pan lube with my own mix of paraffin/candles wax/crayons, vaseline &/or Johnson paste wax, etc..
    Not really into PC coatings, so can't help out there much.

That is what "I" use from doing a bit of research. I only replied here to offer what I could as "my" opinion for what "I" do. Others may have a different opinion & boolit alloy makeup , but that alloy I mention, is working for me right now.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Super Moderator

I just use good ol' range lead or 1/3/96 for plinking loads, for HV loads I use 2.5/2.5/95, just a 50/50 mix of Lyman #2 and roofing lead. I use White Label BAC in just about all of my handgun loads.

Moderator Emeritus

I generally use what I refer to as 9 + 1/2 + 1/4 mix -- Nine pieces (from ingot mould) of clip on wheel weight, plus one-half an ingot of RotoMetals Super Hard, plus 1/4 ingot of pure tin. It seems to obturate well in even mild .44 S&W Special loads, and does not lead -- just a teeny tad at times in one revolver -- in .44 Rem Mag loads. I do need add, however, I load for medium-range velocities -- none approaching "maximum" loadings.
    geo

thanks guys, I think I am going to go with an 80%coww-20%pure+ 2%tin, that way it will hold up to the magnum loads, and I can use the same alloy for target and hunting, I don't want to have a different hunting alloy than what I practice a lot with, that way I am sure I am on! also, from what I gather ( I also asked BNE) the cow's are seeming to run at about 2-2.5% sb in the past few years, it used to be a lot more than that, so for the old WW's 50-50 would probably be ideal. thanks for the opinions, it kind of validated what I wanted to do... now I just need to get some more pure, and go shoot some piggies! have a good day!-Travis

Range scrap for anything up to 1250fps or so, Hunting or practice.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I use basically 50/50(COWW /Lead) + a little tin to mix with the antimony in the COWWs. Not sure of the exact ratio/percentage, but it is something like 96/2/2 lead/antimony/tin or there about.

IIRC, that runs about 12-16 BHN air cooled. If I want to run harder, I can water quench the boolits to bring the BHN a bit higher.

I run that "primary" mix of alloy in all of my handguns including 44Mag, and do not have any issues. I do not run any "hot" or close to Max. loads though. Mostly low & midrange loads.

I use either 45/45/10 lube or pan lube with my own mix of paraffin/candles wax/crayons, vaseline &/or Johnson paste wax, etc..
    Not really into PC coatings, so can't help out there much.

That is what "I" use from doing a bit of research. I only replied here to offer what I could as "my" opinion for what "I" do. Others may have a different opinion & boolit alloy makeup , but that alloy I mention, is working for me right now.

G'Luck!
    Thank you That is what I like to know, also help the OP too for what he had ask that way he knows also about the range of the BHN.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    May I ask then what the BHN for the alloy then ? I know it sound soft for what is posted.I know it will also help the OP also. Thank you
    My straight clip on weights, air cooled last in the 12-13 range.

I think 12 will be about right for the velocity I am running, while still wanting some expansion, if it comes out less I can always heat treat. speaking of, if you want to heat treat, but only go, for example, from coww's, to maybe 15-16 bhn, do you lower the temperature of the oven, or lessen the time in the oven? I would think you would lower the temp, but I could be wrong?

I generally use acwwpb, 50/50, with 2500+ lube, though I rarely take the time to measure everything out. A dash of this, a pinch of that...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    thanks guys, I think I am going to go with an 80%coww-20%pure+ 2%tin, that way it will hold up to the magnum loads, and I can use the same alloy for target and hunting, I don't want to have a different hunting alloy than what I practice a lot with, that way I am sure I am on! also, from what I gather ( I also asked BNE) the cow's are seeming to run at about 2-2.5% sb in the past few years, it used to be a lot more than that, so for the old WW's 50-50 would probably be ideal. thanks for the opinions, it kind of validated what I wanted to do... now I just need to get some more pure, and go shoot some piggies! have a good day!-Travis
    80%coww-20%pure+ 2%tin + 102%

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    80%coww-20%pure+ 2%tin + 102%
    It swells up when he mixes it.....

I use ww with a little tin added to make it fill the mold good. I have killed a few hogs with this. and they turn out to be good eating when smoked D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I tried pure lead and with a 4 BNH and added 6 percent pewter. Took me to a BNH of 6.5. At 1650 fps out of ruger 77/44 it completely flattened a 265g devistor and weighed around a 100g after shooting through water jugs. I made a some 50/50 clip on ww and pure lead with 2 percent pewter but haven't tried them yet. I do have some with 98 percent ac coww and 2 percent pewter. I've seen other posters use them on hogs. The pedals blow off and the boolit keeps truck in for good penetration. I just wanted a softer alloy with decent penatration and soft enough to expand for a good Kennetic energy transfer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast