Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Slow twist .30 caliber barrels

Boolit Master

Slow twist .30 caliber barrels

Are there any barrel suppliers offering twist rates slower than 1/12” without the barrel being special ordered/ custom made? Not sure how to ask this question but it seems the slowest twist commonly available for the rem 700 is 1/12” and e.r. Shaw did not offer a slower rate. I’d like to try a 1/14” or 1/16” .30 barrel but it looks like $350 or more to obtain one.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Years ago I tested B.J. Obermeyer barrels in 1:16" twist and 1:20" twist with .30-'06 Ball M2 and the 1:16" worked fine until you got below 32 degs. F, a 1:14" twist shoots well with Cal. 30 Ball M2 and 7.62mm Ball M80 until you get below 0 degs.F. Douglas can do you a 1:14 which is great with high velocity cast to 160 grains and 2400 fps.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Kreiger, Shilen, Lilja, and many others make slow twist .30 barrels

Boolit Grand Master

Most barrel makers make 14" twist 30 caliber barrels. The 16" twist is the harder one to find. I went with a Broughton barrel. Very spendy but superbly hand made and worth every penny for what I wanted. For high velocity 30 caliber cast bullet barrels I recommend a 14 or 15" twist in .308W or, preferably, the 30 XCB cartridge. It is very easy to form with standard shortened 30-06 dies. I also recommend a barrel length of 26" or longer with 24" as the minimum. The longer the better. The 14" twist handles cast bullets in weight up through the 311299 very well but a bullet designed for HV such as the 30 XCB, the 311466 or Lee's 160 gr are proven performers.

goodsteel can fix you up with a good barrel, the cartridge, dies or whatever you want/need and his gunsmithing is excellent.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

I know of one place that has a 13" twist and a 17" twist in stock right now. Both are Bartlein.

17 twist is a 4 grove
    13 twist is a 5r .299/.308 tightbore med palma

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Most barrel makers make 14" twist 30 caliber barrels. The 16" twist is the harder one to find. I went with a Broughton barrel. Very spendy but superbly hand made and worth every penny for what I wanted. For high velocity 30 caliber cast bullet barrels I recommend a 14 or 15" twist in .308W or, preferably, the 30 XCB cartridge. It is very easy to form with standard shortened 30-06 dies. I also recommend a barrel length of 26" or longer with 24" as the minimum. The longer the better. The 14" twist handles cast bullets in weight up through the 311299 very well but a bullet designed for HV such as the 30 XCB, the 311466 or Lee's 160 gr are proven performers.

goodsteel can fix you up with a good barrel, the cartridge, dies or whatever you want/need and his gunsmithing is excellent.
    Just a few tips for new rifle casters.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-rifle-casters
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

Tim removed all of his content.

I have a PacNor 1-13 twist. It seems to like every thing i put through it, jacketed or cast. 311299 shoots very good. This is a 308 win. I have been swagging 160 gr jacketed bullets so its been seeing a lot of those.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.