WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: ruger 44 mag SBH hunter crown

ruger 44 mag SBH hunter crown

is it common to have to re-crown these? I notice that the land on the bottom of the barrel at the muzzle looks a tad bit less tall than the others, is this an indication of an uneven crown or could the rifling actually be off? and how much do gunsmiths charge for a good crown these days? thanks,-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Bub
    That would probably bother me too, however, how does it shoot? That would be the question I would ask myself. If fixing it would help the accuracy by a great margin, I would have it re crowned. If it shoots pretty good now, a new crown might not do much for it. As for the cost, Im not sure but Im sure someone on here would be able to answer that.

well, it shoots pretty good, but a bit inconsistent, I believe it is due to the cyl. throats. I am fixin' to ship my cylinder to doug to have him even them all out, probably to .43215, which is what he recommends for .432 sized boolits. I have been sizing at 431, and it is a lot better than 430, but having a bit of issues with leading, I am going to slug my bore tomorrow, but I believe it to be right around 430. one thing that going to 432 might help with, is I have noticed that with sizing to 430-431, it is making the lube groove more shallow than It would be as cast ( 433-434) or even at 432, so going to 432 might be just enough to help some, as the little bit of leading I do have is in the last inch of the barrel and no more. I cant wait to have doug do my cylinder, I have never heard any bad comment, only really good comments about his work,( and oddly enough, apparently his coffee is as good as the work he does) lol. so I think the consistency of the throats will probably help enough, we will have to wait and see. thanks a lot.-Travis

Boolit Buddy
    that sure is a good looking gun. They have/had its brother at Atwoods here in Bartlesville and I wanted it but my wiser half said no. Enjoy it for both of us!

Boolit Master
    THE .41 look JUST as good... The grips, while I like the look, just doesn't cut it for me. Hogue as I want to hunt with it.

Boolit Master
    Its probably not uncommon to find one or more lands or grooves that are a little different than the others. Everyone thinks all bores are round too, and that just isn't so either I'm not saying the crown might isn't off, it's certainly possible. A piloted cutter would show you pretty quickly if it was.

Your muzzle will tell you if the crown is even or not. Simply shoot the firearm and look at the muzzle after every shot. There should be an even star patter forming on the crown of the muzzle. A 30" bbl'd rifle after only 15 shots.
    [IMG][/IMG]

If the lube star starts to form on 1 side of the muzzle instead of evenly around muzzle, then your crown is off/cut wrong. 500+ rounds down the tube of a 9mm/coated bullets.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Polishing to repair a crown is easy to do and often results in improvement in accuracy. It never hurts.

Boolit Master

Have Doug look at the crown and forcing cone areas while he is at it. I believe he has a nice package price for revolvers like he does for autos.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Last I knew, Doug does not have an FFL, and therefore can't receive revolvers, only the cylinders. He can receive barrels from auto pistols, on which he can do the crown and throating, but can't do crowns on revolvers.

I would just be to worried to send the whole gun through the mail, even to an ffl! to many anti gun people out there, and I am sure some work at the USPS! lol, I will keep checking the muzzle, but unfortunately it doesn't really leave much of a lube star, I am still working with my lube. I tried ccarn. red, and got horrible leading, so I have mixed it with my successful moly lube blend ( homemade, works good) but now I am just trying to get it back to that "sweet spot" where it was before. i'll keep you guys updated, and let you know how the throat job works out, I will be sending the cylinder to doug at the beginning of april. have a good'un and thanks a lot!-Travis, ps- jcren any good hog spots down there?- and craig, I go hog hunting at Skiatook and sometimes Heyburn, how far is Bartlesville from Skiatook?

Boolit Master

Hogs everywhere, not much open land though. I know a few guys they walk the Canadian rivers for hogs.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    A hacksaw and a dremel will fix it!!!

say what?!?! no hacksaws or dremels coming anywhere near this baby! it is now by far my favorite gun! Jcren, I will have to look up a map and check out the Canadian river, I forget, does it feed into keystone, along with the Arkansas? also do you hunt?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    A hacksaw and a dremel will fix it!!!
    You do know they make cut off wheels for Dremels now? WAY easier than a hacksaw. I don't even have to set my beverage down now.

Jcren- I cant figure out which wildlife management area that is by the Canadian river, do you know the name of it? or were you talking about private land, thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    You do know they make cut off wheels for Dremels now? WAY easier than a hacksaw. I don't even have to set my beverage down now.
    Now we’re cooking with fire!!