Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid idea... .22 WMR

Boolit Buddy

stupid idea... .22 WMR

hello ,

here s an idea .

i have been watching some videos on youtube regarding the reloading of the . 22 LR cartridge .
    there is even a kit one could buy wich contains all the neccesary tools to do so , including a sizing die !
    i dont think its economical , but hey... if it can be done , why not ?

now for the stupid idea i mentioned ,

i looked at the lee mold charts and saw a . 223 55 gr gascheck bulletmould and this got me thinking.
    what if i would cast such a bullet and apply HI TEK coating to it .

if i had such a bullet i would need some priming powder to put in the rim of the .22 WMR casing , and i would need a gascheck for the bullet.
    my thinking would be that a boxer primer LARGE RIFLE would supply both .
    i think it would be possible to take out the anvil of the primer , and scrape out the primingpowder.
    the primingpowder could be made liqued with a drop of acetone , and applied to a rather fast spinning rimfire casing .
    the rotation of the casing would cause the priming liqued to get in the rim , then leave it to evaporate the acetone and the result would be a primed
    rimfire casing.

this leaves me with a empty cup that once was the LARGE RIFLE primer.
    outside measurement of this cup leaves me the size of 5,35 mm.
    the diametre of a 223 bullet is 5.56 mm.
    my thinking would be that one could stretch out the cup a little with a correct punch , after annealing the cup first .
    if done correctly this altered cup could be used as the gascheck for the Hi TEK coated bullet in my opinion

it would take a little powder like some alliant unique or simular to put in the primed casing.
    then seat the finished bullet , and crimp in place with the lee factorie crimp die for the 223 caliber.

all this would be a lot of work... but , could it be done ?
    i dont own a rifle in the .22 WMR caliber , its just an idea to think about .
    Last edited by edwin41; 03-26-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Your kind of thinking is what brings out new products and inventions. As they would tell us while working in experimental department on the number two Huey Cobra , do not deviate from the blueprint unless you are ready to cover every detail and cross all your "T"s and dot all the "I"s. That includes running it through the Engineering Dept. again. Wood workers like to say measure twice, cut once. (Sometimes you hear I cut it off twice and it is still too short.)Lol We are all anxious to see how you do. Keep at it.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds interesting. However, I would suggest getting the priming material wet first with whatever is used to work with it in the first place. Alcohol I think. That primer may not take kindly to having the anvil removed and scraped while dry.

Boolit Master
    1.5 gr green dot approaches WMR velocities. At that vel9city and pressure a gas check would not be necessary, but yes you could make one out of the LRP.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

A 22 wmr uses 30gr bullets. So I would go with lighter bullet. I think Lyman has 39gr mold. They also have 44gr mold. Instead of trying to resize a case I would resize a bullet smaller.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Make sure you wear a face shield if you mess with the priming compound
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

I know a guy that was scratching the priming compound of a berdan primer and it went off.
    Use extreme caution my friend....dale

Boolit Buddy
    For dimaprok,
    Taking out the smaller bullets of the 22 WMR
    cartridge and replacing them with a 50 grainer ook was common practice among silhouet shooters back in the Day, as the 30 grainer lacks some knock down power.

Boolit Master

Do as you wish, but I'd wager good money that the cost of your hospital visit would buy you a truckload of .22WMR ammo......
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the same company that makes the 22 LR tool now makes a 22 Magnum kit. IIRC there are loads/data for a 35 gr jacketed bullet (Hornady V-Max?). What I read about the process is that it is safe and the only scraping took place when cleaning the ID. Priming compound was two powders, mixed and placed in the case, a drop of acetone "activated" and allowed the powder to enter the rim groove. Dunno where I read it, and I'm not interested enough to research it...

Maybe, if I got reallllly bored with reloading 9 calibers I might try it out of curiosity (nah!)...
    Last edited by mdi; 03-27-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure what the motivation is with this idea. If you are just intrigued by the concept and just want to see if you can do it, I can understand that. Personally, I would never go down that particular path but to each his own. If you just want to find a centerfire alternative to 22 WMR, why not just download a 22 Hornet. That's what I would do.

Couple thoughts. 1) Those kits for the re-priming of rimfire cases produce corrosive ammo, a major step backwards. 2) The product you want is for all practical purposes already available. FWIW, Federal makes 22 magnum with 50 gr copper plated HP bullets. They spank the living snot out of coyotes, and are only about 20 cents per round. Midway has them on sale right now. ) https://www.midwayusa.com/product/62...d-hollow-point

Boolit Grand Master

I had a patient a few years ago messing around with a live primer and piece of shrapnel went into his finger.

While the idea is a novel one, I’d venture for something a bit safer.

Boolit Master
    If you just want to experiment with different bullets or powders, pull the bullets from live shells and reload those. If you're trying to save money, there are better ways.

I'll stick with The-22-ladybug.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned

By a .22 Hornet. It loads down so easily with cast it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    By a .22 Hornet. It loads down so easily with cast it's a no brainer.
    I was going to suggest 22 hornet, 5.7FN, 221 fireball, 22 TCM, heard about 218 bee. They all use 22 Cal bullet.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Personally I don't think that reloading a 22 rimfire is practical, and I've read of some problems with reloaded 22 lr (they must be "clocked" in the chamber so the firing pin does not hit the dent from a previous firing). Sometimes a feller just has to know, "will it work?". The subject of reloading rimfire cartridges comes up and the subject quickly turns to alternatives, mostly centerfire cartridges which has nothing to do with reloading rimfires (I have some excellent loads for my .223 with 40 gr cast bullets over a few grains of WC820 or Unique to give me around 1,300 fps). If "I wonder..." had been replied to with "buy bulk ammo here..." I never would have started reloading...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Is Just what high standard mentioned, i Am
    Intriged by this concept, and i wanted to learn
    More from the more experienced reloaders here

Boolit Buddy
    By the way... Over here in Holland a good. 22 WMR cartridge would be at the same Pricelevel as the more common . 223 cartridge
    So reloading would be an more economical
    Way of shooting this caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    I Just did a Quick check at the Prices.
    The cheapest . 22wmr cartridge is a little more
    Expensive then a 115 gr 9mm cartridge if bought by the thousend...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast