Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Prope loads for a S&W 29-2

Boolit Buddy

Prope loads for a S&W 29-2

I lucked out in a big way and scored a beautiful 6.5 in nickel 29-2. I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but have a big pile of 240gr slugs waiting to be sized and loaded. Some of my reading touched on not going crazy with super powerful loads. I have no intention of doing so. Am I ok sticking to mid-level manual loads?

Yes. A couple that I have had good luck with are 10.0 of Unique or 9.0 of power pistol. Should get you around 1000 fps and at least decent accuracy.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

I've shot S&W 29's for a long time. They are fun guns to shoot. My range/plinking load is the 245 gr Keith swc over either 8.5 gr of Unique and my hunting load is 18-20 gr of 2400. Cases and primers don't seem to make much difference. Straight Clip-on wheel weights sized .430 are very accurate with no or little leading. For lube, I've used everything from the green RCBS stuff, 50/50, Rooster Red and nor White Label Carnauba Red.

Boolit Master
    My favorite load is the 240gr lyman Keith SWC over 10gr Unique. I have a 29 that was made in 1957, it's a Nickel plated 4 screw. My brother bought it new that year. I inherited from him. He has gone to a better place, miss him dearly. His favorite load for most shooting was 8.5 gr of Unique.

Moderator Emeritus

Lyman's starting load of HS-6 for a 240 to 250gr boolit was my pet load for mild 44 mag shooting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

While I wouldn’t give it a steady diet of full all out magnum loads, they’re certainly safe too shoot in it so long as within SAAMI specs.

Many of us figure out that Magnumitis, while a real thing, generally doesn’t last forever and it’s the love of shooting enjoyed more with less than full tilt loading.

As of late, I have enjoyed using Trail Boss and 231 behind some Keith’s for pleasant shooting in my 629 and Marlin presafety.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Lyman's starting load of HS-6 for a 240 to 250gr boolit was my pet load for mild 44 mag shooting.

I agree. I use HS-6 for midrange loads. Hodgdon calls for 10-12 grains. I think I've settled on 10.5gr with 240-250 lead boolit in 44Mag.

Accurate and pleasant to shoot.

Same as #4,....10g Unique,240 Lyman Keith SWC.A tackdriver in my 4" 629.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Many of us figure out that Magnumitis, while a real thing, generally doesn’t last forever and it’s the love of shooting enjoyed more with less than full tilt loading.
    Righteous words here
    Bob

For my 5 screw.....

I use a Hensley & Gibbs #503 (the 250gr Keith designed SWC bullet) over 8 or 9 gr of WW231. (....mostly shoot 8.0 gr but will load some in 9.0 gr on occasion) Gives over 1000 fps and nice mild 44 mag loads. The gun will last several lifetimes shooting those mild loads.
    The "full house" loads are the same bullet in gas check over 18.5 gr WW296. Not maximum but plenty zippy.
    BTW, my 29 is a 1956 5 screw. No case, no tools, replacement grips, but in 98% condition. A true shooter....and shoot it I do!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

6.0gr to 6.5gr of clays and any bullet weighing 180gr to 250gr will hold the x-ring @ 25yds in either the 6 1/2" bbl'd 629 or the 4" bbl'd 29-2 pictured below.

[IMG][/IMG]

The M29 will happily run full power loads, you will just have to tune it sooner than later. Mine don't see max loads but upper midrange & really, not much is stopping a 270gr LHP or a 250gr LSWC @ 1250fps. I run mostly Unique & 2400 but have some BE86 I want to try.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol