Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus 85 replaced by new 856?

Boolit Master
    I looked at one in a lgs awhile back. Initially I was disappointed that they had discontinued the 85, but in reality I think all they did was take the 85 and figure out how to fit a slightly larger, 6 round cylinder in it. The fact that it accepts the same speedloaders I use for K frames, Ruger 6 series and GP100s is icing on the cake.

Boolit Buddy

I hope you all have better luck with an 856 than I have. The second cylinder full I tried to shoot the cylinder stopped advancing with every pull of the trigger.I sent it back on their dime. They quoted a twelve week turnaround. I sure hope its right when it comes back.
    eveready

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If the 856 is as good as the late model 82 I used to have, then I will probably buy a second one!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    how do you users feel about the new plastic grips from Taurus?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    The 85 is an excellent gun. It is the only Taurus product I would buy twice.

/\/\/\/\/\ I'm with you !!!! /\/\/\/\

I'm not a Taurus fan but I've seen model 85 revolvers solider on for decades. It is the one gun Taurus got right.

I don't see the 85 on Taurus's site any more....looks like they went with the new 856 as their base model revolver now.

I have the 85 and love mine. (1997)... It shoots fine, easy to carry, and conceals pretty well. For me though...I didn't get a "lite" model. I have all steel so it is just a tad heavier.

I'd buy another Taurus if it's built as well as my 20+ year old 85. I might just have to check one of the 856s out the next time I stop in my LGS.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nikonuser View Post
    how do you users feel about the new plastic grips from Taurus?
    I like 'em. I don't feel compelled to change them at all.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

I have now put a couple of boxes of rounds through my 856 with no problems. The trigger pull is kind of rough, but for the low price I can certainly live with it. Seems to be as accurate as any other snub I have ever tried and the steel frame really tames the muzzle jump.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I'm still shooting my 856, and found a set of round to square butt checkered 85 grips for it. Accuracy is still not where I want it, minute of bad guy and nothing better. The heavy trigger pull is the biggest problem, even in single action I would guess its around 10 pounds. Do the usual trigger pull tricks for S&W work with Taurus? I see Wolff now offers a spring kit for them so that would be a good start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12