WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester (Japan made) 1895 front sight blade

Boolit Grand Master

Winchester (Japan made) 1895 front sight blade

I need to replace the bent front sight on my 1895 Win - in 405Win. Gunparts corp (Numrich) has two of them, one taller and a lot more expensive, and without the bead. The $2.95 blade is shorter and with the bead. I am assuming since mine is the 405 I need the taller blade. If that is true - and it is one of my questions, my other one is how do I pull the bead from my existing sight and put it in the new one?

If the shorter blade is OK, and I'm assuming it is the right height for the 30-06 and 30 Govt. rounds, I'll be happy. My guess is that for the 405 I need the taller one. More of a challenge - but probably doable.

For what it's worth I do have the copy of the 'Climbin' Lyman' rear sight on it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 03-26-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added rear sight
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I would opt for the taller front sight, as it will give more flexibility when/if zeroing for different loads.

I replaced the front sight on my Miroku/Winchester .405 Model 1895 with a standard/stocked item XS White Line front sight blade (left, below) made specifically for the M-1895 by XS for use with a receiver sight.

(The vertical white line on the rear face of the sight blade is easily blacked out with a Sharpie.)

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8275

The front sight is actually a flat blade, pinned in place with a small transverse pin through the front sight ramp.

To R&R the sight blade:

* Drift the pin out of the ramp with a very small (1/16") diameter drift pin and hold it for re-use.

* Remove the old sight & insert the replacement, temporarily holding it in the ramp's sight slot with a small padded C-clamp.

* Drill side-to-side through the pin holes in the ramp, which will act as a drill guide for cross-drilling the new sight blade. (Try fit small drill bits until one will slide easily in the ramp holes, but not too small for the pin to pass through)

* Reuse the old front sight crosspin to secure the new front sight blade.

[NOTE: Instead of fooling around with tiny drill bits, I just bought a sacrificial 1/16" drill bit (which is a bit too thick to pass through the ramp pin holes), drilled through the ramp/sight blade as above with it, then ground the shank of the same sacrificial drill bit to the same length as the original crosspin, and used the shortened shank to secure the new sight blade.]

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, mine is a thin blade pinned. I have a complete set of numbered drill bits so a small drill bit isn't a problem. All of the sights on the page you posted are screw in, though. The sight you have is only available from them as a set. Since I have the Climbin' Lyman sight I don't need the set and figured the taller one from Numrich is for me, I can only go so low.

How is the brass bead attached? glued in? soldered in? Heat the solution for getting it out??
    Wayne the Shrink

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post

All of the sights on the page you posted are screw in, though.

The sight you have is only available from them as a set.

What I posted was only an example, and not everything or every option may be on a given company's website....................................

I purchased my front sight separately via contacting customer service (tel: 888-744-4880 or tech@xssights.com Mon-Fri, 8:30AM-5:00PM, Texas time) and asking for the White Line front sight (only) for the Winchester 95.

Boolit Grand Master

For what it's worth, I ordered the larger sight blade from Numerich - and it is smaller than my sight blade. They have two sizes, and I have a third. This suggests to me that the 95 Winchester had three front sight blade heights - for the 30-06 range of rounds, for the 30 Govt. range of rounds, and one for the 405, that being the highest.

After finding that out I knocked the pin out, put it in a vice, and with a brass drift, knocked it back to mostly straight. I will naturally have to sight it in again, but have the 'Climbin Lyman' on it so I can adjust for how much it is off.
    Wayne the Shrink

FWIW, I've also fashioned a new pinned-in front sight blade from a dovetail front sight (usually with a bead type I like - Ivory, Gold, fiber optic, etc) that's the proper height (measure) via grinding the sides of the lower/dovetail portion of the sight blade flat enough to fit into the sight blade slot on the rifle (older Savage 1899's have a similar front sight setup).