Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 38.55 case length ??

Boolit Buddy

38.55 case length ??

Well, my Mosin project is well under way and I'm already looking ahead to my next project of sending my Marlin 336 30.30 to JES Reboring for a 38.55 conversion. I see Starline brass has 2 different lengths, 2.080" and 2.125". How do I know which length I need? Bruce

Mods- please feel free to move this thread. I think I put it in th e wrong place. Sorry.
    Last edited by Schreck5; 03-26-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Boolit Bub
    The 2.080" is the standard SAAMI length for the cartridge. If you wait until after reboring, you can check the maximum length by using a chamber length button, such as one from NOE, inserted into a shortened case then measured. I have a couple of barrels that measure over 0.010" greater than the SAAMI specifications. Obviously, the 2.125" case would be for those chambers that would measure long.

I hope that helps a little.
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    Well, my Mosin project is well under way and I'm already looking ahead to my next project of sending my Marlin 336 30.30 to JES Reboring for a 38.55 conversion. I see Starline brass has 2 different lengths, 2.080" and 2.125". How do I know which length I need? Bruce

Mods- please feel free to move this thread. I think I put it in th e wrong place. Sorry.
    Right place but maybe a call to Jess would be best as he absolutely knows the correct answer ,He does the job

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980Harley View Post
    The 2.080" is the standard SAAMI length for the cartridge. If you wait until after reboring, you can check the maximum length by using a chamber length button, such as one from NOE, inserted into a shortened case then measured. I have a couple of barrels that measure over 0.010" greater than the SAAMI specifications. Obviously, the 2.125" case would be for those chambers that would measure long.

I hope that helps a little.
    Correct I believe -----I have winchester manufactured 38/55 here that measures 2.080.......375 bigbore cases were shorter again = 2.035

Boolit Master

2.125 was the original length when introduced by Ballard. Later on, Winchester shortened the length as a cost cutting measure.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    2.125 was the original length when introduced by Ballard. Later on, Winchester shortened the length as a cost cutting measure.
    When they chambered it in the new 1894 or afterwards?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

1894's are all the correct 2.130"
    It is the recent brass that started showing up short. (in our lifetime) Then chambers cut for the new brass. And 0.375" barrel stock used to make rifles.

Something interesting is the SAAMI data for the 38-55 Winchester (not Ballard) is the case length is 2.085" however the Min chamber length is 2.118 and max is 2.125" based on rim thickness 0.063" - 0.070"
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 03-27-2018 at 01:44 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    1894's are all the correct 2.130"
    It is the recent brass that started showing up short. (in our lifetime) Then chambers cut for the new brass. And 0.375" barrel stock used to make rifles.

Something interesting is the SAAMI data for the 38-55 Winchester (not Ballard) is the case length is 2.085" however the Min chamber length is 2.118 and max is 2.125" based on rim thickness 0.063" - 0.070"
    Ehhh, I'm blonde, so I get confused easily.�� SO what size. Case should I order. 2.080?

Vendor Sponsor

Contact JES Reboring to see what reamer design is being used to cut the chamber. The 'smith will know and offer the best advice based on what he did.
    (we can't know)
    Make sense?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Contact JES Reboring to see what reamer design is being used to cut the chamber. The 'smith will know and offer the best advice based on what he did.
    (we can't know)
    Make sense?
    I think I would turn that around and say "hey mr Smith we need this chamber cut nice for a 2.080 brass length" .....seein as how he is not doin it for free.

Boolit Buddy
    Called JES. Got all the scoop I need.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    Called JES. Got all the scoop I need.
    I am a little puzzled by some of this - I have a OFW commerative 94 in 38/55 - a really nice shooter - I use a LEE cast and sized .359 - loaded in Winchester brass have had no problems with fat necks not chambering - blackpowder mostly - this rifle runs sweet - shoots great and is easy to load for ....................
    Did Winchester get it right in their later manufacturing? did I get lucky?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I think I would turn that around and say "hey mr Smith we need this chamber cut nice for a 2.080 brass length" .....seein as how he is not doin it for free.
    I think I have nothing to do with his deal.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

What did he say? It might help someone else that has a similar question.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I am a little puzzled by some of this - I have a OFW commerative 94 in 38/55 - a really nice shooter - I use a LEE cast and sized .359 - loaded in Winchester brass have had no problems with fat necks not chambering - blackpowder mostly - this rifle runs sweet - shoots great and is easy to load for ....................
    Did Winchester get it right in their later manufacturing? did I get lucky?
    Is this a typo? I can see where a 38-55 case with a .359 bullet would not be fat necked, most of mine use a .379 to .380 bullet.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Buddy
    My recent experience is that any US made Win94 will chamber the 2.125" brass just fine.

Win94's made by Miroku in Japan need the shorter 2.085" brass.

They will chamber empty 2.125" brass but the bullet will jam into the lands.

I use Starline 2.125” brass in my Marlin 336CB.
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Master
    I use 2.125 in my JES, of course he bores em to 375 W bore, so I use .377 boolits.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    JES told me the bore dia. is .375, twist is 1: 15, and to use the shorter brass. He also said it is easy to get carried away with twist rates.