RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataPBcastcoTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Improved H&G #258 41 caliber SWC

Boolit Grand Master

Improved H&G #258 41 caliber SWC

I have not had any luck with any mold makers cutting a mold for this bullet I drew. It is based on the H&G #258, but with a much larger meplat. I'm hoping there is enough interest in a group buy to have somebody like Miha make them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_New_Vendor_41_magnum_228_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	220140

I'm A Honcho!
    I sent you a PM reference the run...
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    I sent you a PM reference the run...
    Any word on this? I have not heard anything back.

I'm A Honcho!
    Miha will run this. I want to make sure that this is different enough for a run on its own. We are actually a little flooded at the moment.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

Boolit Bub
    I am interested

Boolit Grand Master

I just realized there is a mistake in that drawing. The as-cast diameter should be .412" not .411".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Miha will run this. I want to make sure that this is different enough for a run on its own. We are actually a little flooded at the moment.
    I sent a PM back, did not get a response. How short would the nose have to be to fit all production revolvers? .400" nose fits just fine in my new S&W 57-6.

I'm A Honcho!
    Acknowledged. I sent you a PM. Lets see if this generates a little more interest and I will modify this thread to active or move this one to the archives and activate a new one.

For a Hollow point mold or new design...there has to be 25 buys. Might take us a while to get there.

I would be interested in the H&G 258 with a wider meplat. The crimp to meplat length on the original should fit the S&W N-frame cylinder.

Vendor Sponsor

Wasalmonslayer is working on a redesign for 40, I'll PM him and get him to give a status.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Wasalmonslayer is working on a redesign for 40, I'll PM him and get him to give a status.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    If its close enough in design to what Max is working on...I will yield to MaX. I have reached out to 45.2.1 to see if theres anything already on the shelf that can fit the bill for this as not to have a new cherry cut.

Appreciate working with you guys. When you hear back from Max...let me know if we are combining efforts here.

I wouldn't mind an original H&G 258 without alteration if that makes things simple. My main interest is a general purpose plinker. I do like the drawing in post 1 with equal length bands and lube groove.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Drifter View Post
    I wouldn't mind an original H&G 258 without alteration if that makes things simple. My main interest is a general purpose plinker. I do like the drawing in post 1 with equal length bands and lube groove.
    I'm starting to think an unaltered one might be a good idea. I've found that the NOE 412-237-SWC should be the ticket for a wide meplat, hunting bullet. I was thinking a H&G #258 as Elmer intended it would be a good addition to the Elmer Keith tribute collection. Here is what I came up with, and is as close as I can measure based on bullets I have that claim to be clones, online drawings, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_New_Vendor_41_magnum_227_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	221620

There is some interest in the H&G 258 on the Elmer Keith tribute thread. Probably good to keep originals going there.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...xact-Copy-quot

Why not stick to a wide meplat modified H&G 258 here?

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be a 4-cav buyer for the .300" meplat version. I have the NOE 237gr and it's chunkier than the one depicted in the first post.
    Last edited by photomicftn; 06-05-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: addition

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Drifter View Post
    There is some interest in the H&G 258 on the Elmer Keith tribute thread. Probably good to keep originals going there.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...xact-Copy-quot

Why not stick to a wide meplat modified H&G 258 here?
    I have yet to actually shoot the NOE version, but it sure looks like it could be a great hunting bullet. If I had found it earlier, I probably wouldn't have even posted this in the first place. I'm still interested in an H&G clone, but I could care less about the relatively small difference in meplat of .275" as Elmer designed, verses .300". I've shown both, I guess we will see which one people prefer.

Boolit Grand Master

It has just come to my attention that MP already made a #258 clone a few years ago, it is even listen on their website. At this point I've lost all interest in this. Feel free to still use my designs, but I'm no longer interested in the large meplat version.