Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR1911 thoughts and comments

Banned

Ruger SR1911 thoughts and comments

I'm not a real avid handgunner and even less so with auto loaders. What are you guy's thoughts on this particular one?

Boolit Master

My son has one. Two things that impress me with it are: His had a decent trigger right out of the box and it will eat anything. My opinion it's a good quality pistol.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm not a real avid handgunner and even less so with auto loaders. What are you guy's thoughts on this particular one?
    I don't own one, but shot one at the range last summer. Exchanged 45's with the guy shooting next to me for a little while, he wanted to see how my Kimber felt in comparison to his new SR1911. Personally, I really liked his pistol. Shot as well as mine, ate everything I fed into it. The slide mated to the frame really nicely, no slop in it at all. My friend is looking to buy a 45 of his own soon, and I recommended he look into the Rugers.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I’ve had mine for a couple of years now. Never a hiccup. I don’t think you can find a better 1911 for the money.

Banned

Good to know since I now have one. I won it in a raffle to benefit a high school trap team. Not the kind of thing I would have likely bought myself.

It's been quite a while since I loaded any .45 ACP. Gonna have to look around to see what I have cast up for it.

I've never had any dealings with them. I had an uncle that had one that jammed.. Dunno what his or its problem was. I looked at them in the store, and they let me field strip it. I liked that it didnt have a firing pin block. Id say its a heck of a buy for a new 1911 personally.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one about a year ago in 10MM. I think it is a great buy. Shot everything I tried from factory 155-180 gr bullets under 2" at 25 yds. Actually, the only thing it doesn't shoot well was Federal 180 FMJ. The first handload I tried was 11 gr/AA#7 and it shot 1" groups.[165 gr Sierra HP] The only down side if this is one is that the brass is in the next county.

Banned
    The SR1911 is on my short list for pistols.

I like the design and a few features really stand out: The plunger tube integrated with the frame and the lightweight titanium firing pin.

If you've ever had a plunger tube detach from a 1911 frame and I have, you'll appreciate the integrated plunger tube.
    The use of a lightweight firing pin increases the safety of the pistol without the need for a firing pin block.

I think Ruger took a good design and made it better.

Boolit Master

I have two one in 45 and one in 9mm they are just awesome not one hiccup in either one with thousands of rounds down range
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

When I was looking to get my first 1911, the Ruger SR1911 had just released. I think I had to wait close to 6 months for one to make its way to the LGS, but it was definitely worth the wait. My buddy has a Kimber, and when we get together to shoot we routinely swap for a few rounds for the fun of it. He never has a bad thing to say about it, which doesn't necessarily take away from his Kimber.

I was more than pleased with it, and would gladly make the same choice again. It's a smooth shooting handgun that eats everything I've given it. It's also more accurate than I am when given the handloads it prefers.

IMO one of the best 1911's out there in it's price range. 11k rounds through mine and counting. will be near 12k by Easter. been flawless except for 2 jams that were the result of poorly made rounds by me. otherwise not a single FTF, FTE, or FTFire.

Surprisingly little wear between the parts as well. still tight, and still shoots touching groups as 50' if I do my part.

Only change I would have ever made is adjustable rear sight (just cause I like them best) and apparently now they do make them that way.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had two at one time. They both shot very well and ate everything. did send them down the road though as I wanted a longslide.

Boolit Bub
    I too had to wait a while for them to be available at my toy store, well worth the wait and is one of the most reliable 1911's I have. I will soon be adding a SR1911 in 9mm to the arsenal.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one i use for idpa and 3gun. it had a small link problem and the barrel was rough and leaded. i sent it back to ruger and true to form Ruger came through with the warranty. I had a hand writing note from the tech that worked on it saying the link pin was a touch short and he replaced the barrel and hand lapped it he also fit a new slide to the frame by hand as the short link may have caused damage he said.

After that little hiccup, it has been a dream gun for the price point. I know ruger doesn't always make the most accurate or best finished gun but man im a huge fan because of the toughness, reliability and customer service.

Back to it, the Ruger SR-1911 IMO is one of the best 1911's for the money you can buy.

Boolit Master
    I own 6 1911's. The Ruger, out of the box,, is excellent. One of mine is a Ruger & it's been perfect. Used it in competition some.

I've had mine for about 2 years & love it. The trigger is perfect right out of the box & the sights are exactly what I wanted. I don't count rounds, but many have gone through it.

I'm waiting for any nearby dealer to get an "Officer" model in 9mm.

Henry

I have one and know several others that do as well. They are first rate pistols out of the box that has all the upgrades anybody could want or need. People can spend more, but they won't get more.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

First, let me say that I'm not a 1911 guy. (not a Glock guy either ) But I've shot it in officer and government .45ACP and government 10mm. All were great shooters. The .45s outdid the Kimbers side-to-side in my hands. Was I impressed. Best bang for the buck in 1911s. I was so impressed that I now own the 10mm Target model. It's a shooter. I recommend highly.

Boolit Master
    Here I go. I have the SR1911. I love it. Shoots great. I own sigs glocks 1911s s&w you name it. This gun like most Rugers of today has crappy tooling. It does not affect the way it shoots but I also tuned it up really well. My buddy got the Remington 1911 at the same time I picked up my ruger. His was so much smoother. His came with a nice case mine came with a cardboard box. His was three hundred dollars less at the time. Just saying if it is a ruger thing then by all means but if its a 1911 thing then RIA. Man my Armscor 1911 is smooth as butter for half the price.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy

Bought mine in 2013. Absolute reliability and stunning accuracy with every brand and kind of ammo I've used.
    It's the most accurate handgun I've ever fired. At 25 yds with irons, it outshoots my Ruger Hunters with 2x Leupolds and my FAs. And it must be the gun; I can shoot a handgun, but I ain't that good. It'll shoot 8 round, ragged hole groups @25 yds with bulk 230 gr ball all day long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast