Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me decide...

Boolit Buddy
    I see .308 and instantly think .358 win

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    The Henry is one heck of an attractive rifle with the brass reciever.

I like the way you are thinking and can tell you that you can harvest an elk with a well placed cast bullet from a 44 rifle. I have done it with a 44 handgun so I know the rifle will work. Now 44 rifle is allot of fun and if you stay with in 150 yards with full house 300 WFN you can be very effective the further out the more important shot placement becomes paramount. It nice to have a rifle and handgun in the same caliber if resources are limited.

I will say the 45-70 is an excellent choice as well they can be loaded to the same levels as the Marlin. So you run a 325 WFN or LFN you can get some impressive trajectory and powerful knockdown or Taylor Knock Down numbers.

I like the idea of the single shot and have several Encores and few Number 1 Rugers. I also will own one the Henry single shot shotguns in brass in 410 caliber. I also have an interest in the 44 I think my Accurate 270 grain GC WFN is the perfect bullet for that caliber.
    Thanks! I was considering the 310gr Lee for elk. Maybe a 240gr SWC for deer and plinking? I haven't started casting for the 44 revolver yet and am currently loading it with 240gr Nosler JHPs, which it likes pretty well.

Boolit Master

Most 44 Mag rifle barrels have a larger groove diameter than pistol barrels. You may have to use different molds and expanders to get the most accuracy from each gun.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Most 44 Mag rifle barrels have a larger groove diameter than pistol barrels. You may have to use different molds and expanders to get the most accuracy from each gun.
    Good tip. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12