Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Revolver Question

Boolit Master

Revolver Question

I have a Ruger SBH that with the load I am shooting 22gr of H110 and a 250gr boolit at 25 yds at the lowest setting on the sights it is still 8" high. Is there anything that can be done? at 50 yds it is 3" high at 75 to 100 yds it is right on. This load is running about 1300/1350 fps.
    I can live with it as it will be used at ranges out to 100 yds hog hunting and I can adjust if I'm not to excited but if there is something I can do it would be nice.

Boolit Grand Master

Try a lighter weight boolit... Or try a tighter grip on the handle... or push your 250 g boolit faster... or when in Kentuck just know where it hits and aim lower.

Boolit Master
    You've run into the "ballistics wall"! Boolits don't travel in a straight line but rather a "parabolic"? curve in a straight line.

As such a gun sighted in "right on" at 100 yards will hit higher at shorter ranges, it's the nature of the beast.

I will make a suggestion, although how practical it might be remains to be seen, once upon a time Smith & Wesson made a "silly wet" model 29 with a 10 barrel. This barrel had a "miracle" front sight that could be set for four different ranges one merely turned the dial to select the range to be shot at and the gun was dead on.

This only works right if the owner takes the time to set up and sight in all four settings and then didn't change his load!

I woulds suggest swapping one of these onto the pistol.

Boolit Master
    If you have a stainless gun, get a replacement front sight blade for a 45 Colt BLACKHAWK from RUGER...I've always bottomed out the sights on 44 SUPERS and the BOWEN TARGET REAR I had installed years ago on one was the same problem. A drop-in and then drill a hole for the retaining pin for the new sight is pretty basic.

I had Jim Stroh (ALPHA PRECISION) install the new 45 front sight blade and he did some adjusting on the BOWEN rear also. NOW I have the rear sight sitting high of the top strap...went to the other extreme...I'll remove the front blade and mill it down at work when I'm working nights sometime.

If your gun is blue steel, you could have it converted to take the front sight blade as on the stainless guns. Mr. Stroh modified my old model 44 SUPER BLACKHAWK front sight base this way and installed a BOWEN TARGET rear on it also. (Did I say I like the BOWEN TARRGET REAR SIGHT?)

What EDK said. I had to have the front sight on my 7.5 Bisley .44 cut off flush with the base , a channel milled and the .45 sight put on with a small roll pin. A good gunsmith with a milling machine can do this very easily.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    thumbcocker a great movie that i can watch over & over pilgrem

Banned

Something is wrong with your shooting! If you are 3" high at 50 yd's you will still be very high at 75 and 100 yd's. That boolit and load should not drop that much.
    If your front sight unscrews, just call Ruger and buy a higher front sight.
    Try tightening your grip a little, you might be holding too loose and the barrel is climbing too fast. I had that trouble when I got my .475. I was shooting over deer or taking a pile of hair off their backs without breaking skin. I had to learn to control it, even talking to myself when I shot at deer to hold tight.
    I was just relaxing too much. That barrel headed for the sky!

Indeed... something isn't right here.

If you are "sighted in" for 100 yards, bullet path would be such that it would be 3/4" of an inch or so low at the muzzle (owing to sight parallax), 1.5" high at 25 yards, 2.5" high at 50 yards, and just over 2" high at 75. (These numbers courtesy of the ballistic tables in Sierra's 3rd.)

Your numbers indicate an inconsistency in your grip. Unless I could see the gun and/or watch you shoot, I could only speculate (endlessly) as to why you are experiencing this phenomenon.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Master
    When I first got it, I had the problem of my KS45N shooting 13" high at 25yds even tho the rear sight was bottomed out. The load was a 429421 and a healthy charge of H-110. I installed a higher front sight of the Patridge persuasion and the problem was solved.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

If your front sight is the fixed blade soldered on sight, give Ruger a call. They may have a different height rear sight blade that will fit your revolver. To the best of my knowledge, all the Ruger Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, GP-100, etc. rear sights are the same, but may have different blade heights.