Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Colt Series 70 1911 sight options

Boolit Buddy

Colt Series 70 1911 sight options

I have a Colt series 70 1911 (45 acp) Government Model. The problem with it is that it has the "Government Issue" fixed sights that, for my 56 year old eyes, are becoming very difficult to see. A gunsmith to whom I brought it to see about aftermarket sights, said I had something of a collector's item and I would significantly reduce its value by having the stake-on front sight removed, a dovetail cut, and aftermarket sights installed. What is your opinion of my options? Can a new slide with better sights be fitted to my frame? Do I say to heck with collector's value and have the dovetail cut and new sights fitted? Should I just trade it in on a whole new 1911?
    Thanks for your time.
    Jeffrey

Boolit Grand Master

You can have the new front sight staked in also. The series 70 really would be a nice one for a bomar rear if one can be found. MMC used to make a small adjustable that used the exisiting front sight and standard dovetail for the rear.

There are a lot of choices out there for after market sights. More so in fixed sight versions. But most of the new fixed sights are taller and require the front sight to be changed also. Again the front sight can be a take in same as you have now. The dovetail is an quicker way to do it and is easier from the gunsmiths perspective.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    You can have the new front sight staked in also. The series 70 really would be a nice one for a bomar rear if one can be found. MMC used to make a small adjustable that used the exisiting front sight and standard dovetail for the rear.

There are a lot of choices out there for after market sights. More so in fixed sight versions. But most of the new fixed sights are taller and require the front sight to be changed also. Again the front sight can be a take in same as you have now. The dovetail is an quicker way to do it and is easier from the gunsmiths perspective.
    What he said! That would be the least expensive I believe. A new slide can easily be fitted along with better accuracy. If that were the case, I would SERIOUSLY look at XS big dot sights. I have tried a bunch of sights. These are fantastic for less than perfect vision or for one who wants to be able to pick up their sights instantly.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Check Ken sight they have bomar and great sights

Boolit Mold
    I would have to second the XS Big Dot sights, best thing I ever did for my series 70 and 70 year old eyes. Not a target sight, but a self defence sight.

Boolit Buddy
    I want to thank everyone for your input and even your views. Ken Sights will be getting an order from me soon.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
    I would have to second the XS Big Dot sights, best thing I ever did for my series 70 and 70 year old eyes. Not a target sight, but a self defence sight.
    Patrolman is right....I have that setup on my Hi Power......it is awesome and I have 65 year old eyes......they are not target sights....they are combat sights but they just work....going to add a set to my 3" Kimber! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Here's my experience with larger-than-issued stake-on front sights. They WILL fly off, it's just a matter of time. A GOOD silver solder job is much more durable, and dovetailing is best. It's your gun, do what makes you happy with it, and let your heirs worry about the collectors value.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy

I have to agree with everyone on the BigDot sights. I put a set on my RIA 1911 and on my Baby Eagle .40 S&W.
    My 61 yr old eyes are much happier now. So am I.

Boolit Buddy
    I had Novac sight added to mine

Banned
    I'll be blunt..the 70 series government model is not a collector item. They are a dime a dozen a lot of them out there so certainly not collector guns.

Get a good Bomar rear on it and a new front sight and you will be happy. The other option would be to sell it and obtain a Gold Cup or other match grade 1911 and have something more capable of decent performance.

Boolit Master
    I got bomar on mine. I've got XS big dot on a model 19 and I'll have it on all my handguns shortly. Makes it much easier for my 60+ year old eyes able to see again. I've seen some of the fiber optic sights on 1911's that would work too.