RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Percussion nipple fashgaurds?

Percussion nipple fashgaurds?

Many report that shooting a RH percussion is safe and easy for a lefty. I'm considering looking into RH percussion guns used like the GPR. Anyone ever used the cone shaped flashguards regardless of which shoulder used?

my understanding

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
    Many report that shooting a RH percussion is safe and easy for a lefty. I'm considering looking into RH percussion guns used like the GPR. Anyone ever used the cone shaped flashguards regardless of which shoulder used?
    Flash guards are fir protecting the wood. I have friends that shoot keft handed. Don't have problems.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Master
    Be certain that you use one made from brass or such, because the steel ones rust like nobodies business!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I have a left hand lyman GPS that I shoot right hand. No issues.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The only time I've used one is on a Deer Creek H & A copy under hammer rifle - and tat was to protect the wood of the forearm. I have a H & A under hammer (original) that I have had to do a major "re-do" on to repair some stock issues - I'll probably put on on that for the same reason - - - to protect the wood. Personally, I really don't care for them as I can't use my Ted Cash capper to put the cap on the nipples.

On side hammers - I'm a "righty" but I now have to shoot as a "lefty" due to eye issues. I shoot a variety of rifled muskets, rifles, smoothbores - percussion and flint - I have no issues as far as the cap locks to where I would even think of putting a flash cup under the nipple. Everyone is different and in the end, it's up to you. If there isn't an issue of charring the stock, I'd leave it off but again, it's up to you. While musket caps can "fragment" - musket hammers have a pretty deep nose cp to them and pretty much cover the cap - I have used both 4 wing and 6 wing musket caps over the last 50 years - tens of thousands of them and never had an issue. YMMV

Boolit Master
    I'm a lefty who shoots right handed cap locks and have thought about getting a nipple cup for my rifles. I think it would help with the fragments spraying my right wrist when shooting. Most of the times I wear a long sleeved hunting shirt for protection and it gets a fair amount of powder residue on it's sleeve from the caps. I'm planning to tie a piece of cloth around my wrist for protection for the next shoot.
    I would like to find a flash guard for my hawkens flinter to protect other shooters at the county range but the only one available is for a Brown Bess and doesn't look like it would fit.

Boolit Grand Master

You can make one easy enough from a 45 acp case. Heat anneal and drill for the nipple shank and swedge it out to a cone. My lefty son used one all the time.

Boolit Master
    I use one on the slug guns I have that use a scope as those Unertl scopes need to be taken care of. Very little soot gets up there with one of those cups.

Boolit Master
    I guess I am the only one who always wears a long sleeve shirt when shooting. I've rarely felt any residue from caps when firing. I tried one of those cone things on a previous rifle. Didn't seem to do anything for me so I took it off.

Boolit Master
    KCSO said "You can make one easy enough from a 45 acp case. Heat anneal and drill for the nipple shank and swedge it out to a cone." I just tried making one out of a .45 case and it worked out well. Finally found a use for small primer .45 acp brass.

Boolit Master
    As per above, the flashguard protects lock and wood. Your eyes and hair are above the level of the guard.

Boolit Master
    Or you could use a Magspark (not traditional ) but utilizes regular 209 shot gun primers always available /watertight /self contained and usually cheaper and no lost cap !

Boolit Master

I shoot a right handed flintlock left handed without getting tattooed from blow back powder.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I've shot them many times without a flashguard and have recently been experimenting with my RH percussion. Of course one should always wear glasses with any gun. No problem I can recall.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    I'm just trying to protect my right wrist from the hot particles blown off a percussion cap when I shoot a right handed cap lock left handed. It's no big deal, just a little annoying.

Well I did buy a Euroarm 45 Hawken RH percussion rifle. I'll pick up a guard as my daughters have shown some interest in trying out a muzzleloader and they are cheap. Thank you all for the good discussion.

Boolit Master
    just wear a long sleeve shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    I'm just trying to protect my right wrist from the hot particles blown off a percussion cap when I shoot a right handed cap lock left handed. It's no big deal, just a little annoying.

Boolit Master
    "just wear a long sleeve shirt. " yeah, I do but I have to dress pre 1840 in one shoot I compete in and shirts an't cheap for approved period wear. Got a few shirts that are getting over the hill and a few powder burns just make them more authentic.

Boolit Grand Master

Leather Bracer on forearm?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

As much as I appreciate the honest advice of using offhand muzzleloaders I consider it a valid but not ideal choice. I used levers for most of my decades of hunting in a hunters paradise, Alberta. I tried RH bolts but frankly IMO they suck. A lefty Rem 700 left me cold too I must admit. A 444 or 32 Special for me! I own one RH bolt, a Lee Enfield No5 as a tribute to Canadian's sacrifice from WW! to Korea. I acknowledge that it is acceptable to shoot offhand long guns. However any Gun I buy after this Hawken will be a lefty or a guarded nipple Enfield 2 Band (soft spot for these).

It is a major compromise at best for many of us. I really like the fit and feel of my lefty flintlock Deerstalker. It is just right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast